• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1887 Jubilee Head Shield Half Sovereign

Seasider

I have seen discussions of this coin on here.  When I look at Chards website it says that there are no Full Sovereigns of this configuration for 1887.  Does that mean the half sovereigns are more valuable than most?  Why would they make a half sovereign with the Jubilee Head and the Shield back but not the full sovereign?  You can after all get a Young Head for this date with a shield back.  Is it just that the Jubilee Head does not have space for the date?

11 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I have seen discussions of this coin on here.  When I look at Chards website it says that there are no Full Sovereigns of this configuration for 1887.  Does that mean the half sovereigns are more valuable than most?  Why would they make a half sovereign with the Jubilee Head and the Shield back but not the full sovereign?  You can after all get a Young Head for this date with a shield back.  Is it just that the Jubilee Head does not have space for the date?

Chards is correct of course. 1887 was the year that the young head changed to the jubilee head, they were both issued that year.

All jubilee head full sovs had a G&D reverse.

The last London YH shield was in 1874 although Melbourne and Sydney mints produced them until 1887.

There were also YH G&D reverses produced up until 1887 as well, but only M and S, the last London one was in 1885.

So you can see, from 1871 when the Aussie mints started, until the jubilee head in 1887, it was a little complicated with full sovs.

Half sovs are much simpler, they were all shield reverses until the veiled head started in 1893 when they became G&D to standardise with the fulls.

As to value, it is true that the 1887 tends to be the most valuable of the jubilee heads, on a par with many YHs.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Great explanation @sovereignsteve:)

I bought Marsh's half sov book and see what you mean now about the lack of info on the varieties. If anyone else is interested in this book there is a guy with some on ebay right now for what i think is a bargain price of a fiver.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

34 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Thank you both very much.  It looks as if I could spend a fortune just trying to get a full set of 1887 sovereigns and halves.  Maybe I should content myself with the book instead.

Indeed. Some of them especially the Melbournes are quite rare.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived