• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

whats going to make silver move much higher

craig12

does anyone know what is going to make silver push a lot higher whereby its going to smash through the vat you've paid  plus a lot more

Donald trump didn't send silver higher

putin sending missiles didn't send silver higher

the apparent shortage of physical  dosent send it higher

the bond market hasn't sent it higher

I'm in it for about £3000 as a rough number some of you guys must be in for a whole lot more  , but are you happy to collect it for years at a stagnant price , if my memory serves me right apart from a couple of pieces I'm at an average of £16 per oz going back to prob 2013 ish  its not the most electrifying investment is it

or is something around the corner

You may be at £16/oz average, not everybody is.

I'm at £12.91 for 757oz, I'm quite happy with my investment.

I know others are not, but with a constantly moving price, there will always be winners and losers.

I might be a loser by this time next week, some say I already am [emoji1]

Stacker since 2013

Having also acquired a similar silver stack at ~£17/oz I am very happy

Any 1oz bullion coin easy to sell for £19- £20 at the moment. Better than most savings accounts.

The real beauty with silver/gold is not all about the buy/sell stats but rather the ability to relieve the buying urge whilst still saving. This enables crap savers like me to accrue more savings than would ever be possible by topping up a savings account.

let's say that you bought £3000 worth of sovereigns

100 years ago for £1 each. now they are worth

~£250 each so for a 'lifetime' investment you've

accrued £750k. considering it's estimated that a

pension pot should contain ~£1M+, bullion gold

and maybe silver is not going to make you rich

enough to retire?

even if you don't plan on flipping coins etc. it

still makes sense to evaluate the strengths and

weaknesses of what you are buying to make

the most of it.

the gains that people make on any investment

is a representation of the skill/time they have

spent on it and not the underlying material.

not all 999 silver coins are made the same.

hoping for the purchasing power of silver to

make you rich is unrealistic.

HH

Silver could move higher if the EU starts to crumble.

Over the coming years we will see the German and Italian banks getting worse. Greece still battling uncontrollable debt just no one talks about it anymore. This coupled with Brexit and trumps vow to end trade deals with them could see the collapse of the European union.

Even if this doesn't spell the end for the EU i think its only a matter of time before people just get fed up of all migrants and have their own referendum.

Either way i think the EU is doomed to fail and when it does its going to cause a world wide recession. 

This should get a good silver rally going.

5 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

I tried to read what the Italian referendum in Dec was on but I'm not quite sure what exactly they are voting for/against.

Aren't they voting on whether to reduce their upper house in size and make also make them elected? This so that the elected Government can actually pass new legislation occasionally and do something about their horrendous economy etc.

No Government in recent times has been able to govern effectively and this has led to them having a general election every couple of months (or so it seems anyway). In fact the PM has made this a vote of confidence and if it fails they'll have to have another general election!:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I don't think they know what they are voting for either. They will just vote for constitutional reform because it sounds better than the mess they in at the moment.

There was news article that explained it using a flow chart. Cant find it now but basically it ended in disaster whichever path they took.

What happens when you cant bail out the banks? The banks fail.

What will make Silver move higher and in your case a lot higher would/will be a

1. very high Gold price
  2. Very high demand for Silver compared to what Silver is mined in copper mines!!!!
  3. A bank or a fund/Billionaires  cornering the market eg like the early 1980's 
  4. A country going onto a Silver standard (Sterling)  
  5. Debasement of your currency.  
  6. High inflation

May I suggest rather than sell your stack you look to buy something else that is cheap.  Also you are quite right Craig you can not sell a proof stack for a lose then start again  thats like going bankrupt then being a phoenix from the flames.  You would just be kidding yourself if you did that.

Or you could look at your spread sheets and all silver that cost you over £16 sell that would bring your average down you must of bought some coins at daft prices see what your average would be if you got rid of them. You might be surprised.   

My stack is just over 100 oz now,  i started a few months ago, with bad bank rates i looked for something else and a friend suggested silver he too stacks and has untold ammounts of it ! Im in it for the long haul and it will probably be used near retirement (Hopefully  30 years away) or passed onto my daughter to carry on (shes 3 now) even to make £ 2-3 per oz would be a MUCH better return than the bank and is easily done. Just look at charts its constantly changing and nobody can say for sure what will happen,  its a bit of a gamble at the end of the day but fun along the way ! :)

I don't see anything wrong with buying pure bullion. After all that's what the banks and largest investment companies are doing.

My stack is mainly made up of the cheapest bullion available.

We will have to see another global recession sooner or latter as debt is only going up and that's when your bullion could outshine everyone collectibles.

If the next recession hits at the same time the true extent of the silver shortage is realized then we could see silver accelerate in relation to gold.

Trump is a business man who has vowed to benefit businesses  including lowering corporate tax. This will see companies profit go up and so people are piling money into businesses. This combined with the now expected rate hikes will likely see short to medium term falls for silver.

Problem is he also want to increase public spending. So with less money being collected from companies where is this money going to come from? Just print some more maybe?

Things will play out sooner or later.

If ever in doubt about stacking just look at some of the world debt clocks. 

USA

http://www.theusdebtclock.com/

At the time of writing this the US debt is going up $45400 per second.

The dept per Us citizen is $70900

The dept per Tax paying citizen is $122100

The UK is pretty bad too.

http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

At the time of writing this its going up £5170 per second.

The dept per UK citizen is £28500

The dept per Tax paying citizen is £49000

And these examples are supposed to be countries with high credit ratings! 

This is a quote from the website.

' Mainstream media headlines today are focused on Britain's record national debt, which just surpassed £1 trillion, a figure that can only exponentially increase unless the entire mechanism of Government finance is overhauled. The truth however is much worse, factoring in all liabilities including state and public sector pensions, the real national debt is closer to £4.8 trillion, some £78,000 for every person in the UK.'

Now we are approaching on 2 trillion what is the true extent of debt per person in the UK? Well over £150,000

35 minutes ago, TheWhiteStuff said:

I don't see anything wrong with buying pure bullion

I think you are misunderstanding what I wanted to say.

if you want high gains then you should go for high

risk ventures with plenty of research etc. to back up

your choices. wanting a guaranteed bank return

that's high in interest is not possible. know what you

are buying and adjust your expectations accordingly.

HH

I wasn't referring to your post in particular.

I think your post makes perfect sense and i even have a few numismatic coins i have taken a risk on.

Of course i will buy something if i think it will increase in value and become highly collectible.

My opinion is just that with borrowing at an all time high, debt spiraling way out of control and the EU on the verge of collapse. All we need is a global recession and we could see a new price for gold and silver in which bullion could be the better investment pound for pound. 

All just speculation on my part but i don't see how things can get better when the debt is at a level in which the interest makes it impossible to pay back.

21 hours ago, craig12 said:

does anyone know what is going to make silver push a lot higher whereby its going to smash through the vat you've paid  plus a lot more

Donald trump didn't send silver higher

putin sending missiles didn't send silver higher

the apparent shortage of physical  dosent send it higher

the bond market hasn't sent it higher

I'm in it for about £3000 as a rough number some of you guys must be in for a whole lot more  , but are you happy to collect it for years at a stagnant price , if my memory serves me right apart from a couple of pieces I'm at an average of £16 per oz going back to prob 2013 ish  its not the most electrifying investment is it

or is something around the corner

I just keep accumulating. I cant help my self. I have done so since 2009. I did sell a lot in April of 2011 when prices were 50 $. So I was lucky and hit the nail on its head.

But nowadays I prefer semi. If the price was lower, I would consider buying bullion again. The great thing with bullion is that you can offload a ton in a go at market prices. You cannot do that with semi and expect top price.

Physical silver has given me a nice profit. Paper silver, however, has given me big losses. I am terrible at timing. My psychology fools me again and again.

Physical gold and silver is to me a way of saving, not an investment. You should keep stacking until you reach retirement. Then you can start selling. If, lo and behold, prices go ballistic before that time, you sell. The reason for the metals to go up and down is irrelevant for the saver. All you need to know is what is cheap and not-so-cheap. That understanding comes with time. Generally speaking, people underestimate how far the price can go in both direction.

When I was new to stacking, I wanted prices to go up. Fast. Now I want them to go down, and stay there for years. So I can stack much more. To me this means that I have grown up: Instead of being in for the quick buck I go for the slow accumulation of wealth. 

Furthermore, since silver is a cyclical metal, I am confident that it will have its 15 minutes of fame again before I die.  

What is going to make it go much higher?

Well none of us wants the most negative drivers like war or global depression.

But, everything that was wrong with the world's economies and banking systems before Brexit and Trump, are still wrong, nothing has been corrected yet.

Here. we are poised for another recession and in fact quite a few have already said our next recession has already started. I wouldn't be surprised it has as 8 years of continued "growth" defies a normal economy, IMHO. Because we are going into the normal winter slowdown here, I expect a recession to pick up steam before March 2017. I don't think Trump's plans for infrastructure spending will come into being soon enough to save a recession from getting going. The DOW here is at 18,800 which is lala land. As that comes back to reality shortly, I expect pms to gain some more traction. 

What I want to see would be a nice steady growth in pm prices, kinda sorta quicker than not, instead of something that might spike it. Everyone of those spikes I see in charts, always has a big downside that happens shortly after the huge gain. I'd be pretty happy to end 2017 at $25+ which should be very doable.   

Precious metals are just insurance,who in their right mind gets excited at the prospect of their house burning down so they can claim on the insurance.

Collecting coins can be great fun especially if you have bought coins that have risen in value after a few years.

I certainly don't want to live in a world where the price of Gold and Silver is at all time highs as it means that something is seriously wrong with the worlds financial system,but I would be glad that I have got some should this occur.

The result of the US election may not have had much of an effect on silver and whilst Trump is president-elect he seems to be "playing nice" instead of taking a hard line approach like he did in the campaign. Will see what happens when he gets in power that's when we'll know what kind of president after all how many politicians actually make good on EVERY pledge?

What i don't get, is pundits who say, Silver and Gold will not make you rich, or money. That may be true for gold, but with Silver being so undervalued, your likelihood of getting a handsome future return for your investment, is very likely. Silver is around 70/1 in relation of Gold. Many think, the number should be in relation to mining of 9 or 10 to 1. That places Silver around $130. Even 20/1 puts it about $65. 

Absolutely money is to be made with Silver.

48 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

What i don't get, is pundits who say, Silver and Gold will not make you rich, or money. That may be true for gold, but with Silver being so undervalued, your likelihood of getting a handsome future return for your investment, is very likely. Silver is around 70/1 in relation of Gold. Many think, the number should be in relation to mining of 9 or 10 to 1. That places Silver around $130. Even 20/1 puts it about $65. 

Absolutely money is to be made with Silver.

But there is always the risk that silver may turn out to be a dud where I've noticed it tanks when it approaches $20 per ounce then gets smacked down again apart from the rare occasion when it goes above that mark but doesn't stay there for long the two occasions being in the 80s and again about 5 years ago? but you heat people saying silver is undervalued but what if it's not and gold is overvalued or maybe the two are priced correctly I guess we'll only know as time goes on. I hope I'm wrong and silver does turn into a worthwhile investment just wish I had started earlier than when I did but how many times have you heard that?

16 minutes ago, matrawr said:

But there is always the risk that silver may turn out to be a dud where I've noticed it tanks when it approaches $20 per ounce then gets smacked down again apart from the rare occasion when it goes above that mark but doesn't stay there for long the two occasions being in the 80s and again about 5 years ago? but you heat people saying silver is undervalued but what if it's not and gold is overvalued or maybe the two are priced correctly I guess we'll only know as time goes on. I hope I'm wrong and silver does turn into a worthwhile investment just wish I had started earlier than when I did but how many times have you heard that?

Absolutely there is a risk. However, Gold and Silver has been money a lot longer then stock or bonds. You have to weigh the time we are in history, and look at past history to see the future.

Silver, and to a lessor extent Gold, is well proven to be manipulated. Once the fiat system runs it's death throws. Something needs to take it's place to give people confidence again.

Archived