• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Proof Sovereign Blemish

Orchestral

Hi everyone,

New to stacking here and I'd just thought I'd share with you my first ever proof coin which unfortunately I'll be sending back to the Royal Mint. What I thought was a little odd was that I ordered several days later than some of you and yet I received a lower proof number than some of you guys, I ordered late evening on the 29th October and I received proof #01499. The card with the unique code was also all creased, must just be my bad luck, surely the Royal Mint wouldn't send out a coin that had previously been returned.

Anyway see what you think. Apologies for the poor photos, I'm stuck with using my phone.

IMG_20161109_211922a.jpg

IMG_20161109_212326a.jpg

IMG_20161109_213115a.jpg

Very noticeable isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Orchestral said:

surely the Royal Mint wouldn't send out a coin that had previously been returned

I think we need a poll on this one,

I think I know what the popular opinion would be.:P

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

14 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Very noticeable isn't it?

I think we need a poll on this one,

I think I know what the popular opinion would be.:P

option poll aren't  accurate nowadays :rolleyes:

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

12 hours ago, Lea79 said:

Its the first proof ive bought new.  I hope it comes back soon.  Apart from the scratch I really liked the coin.  Its just a pain in the ass sending it back.

Don't worry they will sort that out along with the postage refund . They used to it 

apart from their bad packaging , their customer services for exchange is pretty good . 

1 hour ago, HelpingHands said:

I thought my full had a tiny mark like above but it turned out to be a bit of dust.

I wasn't confident opening my package since the envelope had rips on both sides.

Why is it so hard for them to post stuff in a box?

Box would cost them more money, not environmental friendly . more time to pack hence more part time worker need

Box would cost more money than just an envelop, if every single item save them 2 pound, after 30k item that will save them 60k + postage

post 500k item a year save them 1 million on postage.  

I'm still waiting on mine. In fact, I had to contact them in order to find out exactly what was happening which I thought was rather poor of them. Early December they said. I can't see myself ordering much else, if anything direct from the Royal Mint again at this rate as it seems their customer service is a shoddy as their quality control.

On 25/11/2016 at 22:41, MickB said:

Does the Royal Mint destroy returned coins and mint replacements?

haha

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

I am not sure if I have a blemish in my 2017 sovereign proof, I have tried to photograph it but not easy using a loupe and an ipad ! It is just in front of the horses knee on the rear leg nearest the viewer, its very noticeable, it does not look like dust to me ? What do you think ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Mint has refunded my proof sovereign leaving me very dissapointed as no more available, its not the end of the world however, as I did order another a while ago but am waiting for it !

I spoke to the Royal Mint and asked about their quality control and they said they only inspect the coins visually by eye and not under maginification which seems poor considering these are proof coins at a very high price, fair enough on a bullion coin but not when spending nearly double on a proof !

50 minutes ago, GrahamHantsHog said:

The Royal Mint has refunded my proof sovereign leaving me very dissapointed as no more available, its not the end of the world however, as I did order another a while ago but am waiting for it !

I spoke to the Royal Mint and asked about their quality control and they said they only inspect the coins visually by eye and not under maginification which seems poor considering these are proof coins at a very high price, fair enough on a bullion coin but not when spending nearly double on a proof !

What a disappointment! I may very well be in the same boat then, did they email to tell you? I haven't heard anything at all from them.

Yeah, I agree, for the price you think they'd give them a quick once over with a x5 loupe or something, even if only to make their job easier.

Archived