• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Numistacker

NGC Grading Submissions Open

Does anyone know how much it is to have a coin reslabbed and will it be the same grade if still in perfect condition???
I believe that re-slabbing (ReHolder in NGC speak) is 1q1a$10 USD (NGC to NGC) per coin and $25 for a high value coin. Plus there is an $8 Tier fee.

The Grade would stay the same unless the ReHolder was due to a damaged slab and coin.

Different costs and rules apply to Crossovers ie. PCGS to NGC.

29 minutes ago, SovTracker said:

I believe that re-slabbing (ReHolder in NGC speak) is 1q1a$10 USD (NGC to NGC) per coin and $25 for a high value coin. Plus there is an $8 Tier fee.

The Grade would stay the same unless the ReHolder was due to a damaged slab and coin.

Different costs and rules apply to Crossovers ie. PCGS to NGC.

The reason I asked is because I bought an ms69 2012 panda in a scratches case. I have 26 pandas I want to grade through numistacker as I am after a full panda set in special panda grade and barcode paper insert. I can imagine it's going to cost a hell of a lot having them all conserved and graded 😕😕😕

2 hours ago, SilverRomantiX said:

The reason I asked is because I bought an ms69 2012 panda in a scratches case. I have 26 pandas I want to grade through numistacker as I am after a full panda set in special panda grade and barcode paper insert. I can imagine it's going to cost a hell of a lot having them all conserved and graded 😕😕😕

It costs a lot, try to get them already graded

2011-2018 NGC MS70 are decent cheap atm

All should cost 40-50$ each, and no more

Save them and get full set of both graded and raw ones

It is cheaper to buy them already graded, you never get the cost back

Not even if they all get MS70, there are just to many already graded

For example, there are about 265 000 pcs at NGC MS70 from 2016 alone

If you buy an 2016 for 20$ and put 25$ in for grading, you are already in the minus

a 2016 cost less than 40$ on ebay

6 hours ago, Numistacker said:

The purple slab of death comes to life

The extra guarentee is nice but is it really worth anything given, for example, the price difference between AU50 and AU58 is large for most things and is more important than the colour of the label. I think using 'cleaned' for both 'surface hairlines' and 'improperly cleaned' is a massive step backwards. The former is often very slight and usually results from a wipe of the coin at some point, or movement in a pocket as they were often in circulation, whereas the latter is often as a result from a deliberate attempt to clean the coin and is the result of much harsher cleaning, dipping etc.

I would guess as more and more old and world coins are graded the former would be more common and if this is NGCs way of accessing this very large market, unfortunately I think they have got it wrong.* Whilst most buyers of old world coins are not bothered by 'surface hairlines' as it is the nature of the beast they are by 'improperly cleaned' and would not buy the latter, as it is often very difficult to tell the level of these things, even from a very good photo, this has effectively now completely killed the market for those coins now just deemed 'cleaned' (unless major rarities) as the view would default to the risk of the much lower grade of 'improperly cleaned' which may just be scrap value if you could sell it at all.

I wonder if PCGS will follow suit.

*or do they just what everyone to now slab all the 'details' USA coins?

The extra guarentee is nice but is it really worth anything given, for example, the price difference between AU50 and AU58 is large for most things and is more important than the colour of the label. I think using 'cleaned' for both 'surface hairlines' and 'improperly cleaned' is a massive step backwards. The former is often very slight and usually results from a wipe of the coin at some point, or movement in a pocket as they were often in circulation, whereas the latter is often as a result from a deliberate attempt to clean the coin and is the result of much harsher cleaning, dipping etc.
I would guess as more and more old and world coins are graded the former would be more common and if this is NGCs way of accessing this very large market, unfortunately I think they have got it wrong.* Whilst most buyers of old world coins are not bothered by 'surface hairlines' as it is the nature of the beast they are by 'improperly cleaned' and would not buy the latter, as it is often very difficult to tell the level of these things, even from a very good photo, this has effectively now completely killed the market for those coins now just deemed 'cleaned' (unless major rarities) as the view would default to the risk of the much lower grade of 'improperly cleaned' which may just be scrap value if you could sell it at all.
I wonder if PCGS will follow suit.
*or do they just what everyone to now slab all the 'details' USA coins?

Excellent points as always. It may be that this will be a great opportunity to buy surface hairlines coins marked as cleaned and then deslab them and sell raw at a premium.
It’s my birthday today I’m 21

A very happy 21st birthday to you

3 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Excellent points as always. It may be that this will be a great opportunity to buy surface hairlines coins marked as cleaned and then deslab them and sell raw at a premium.

For a reputation as a seller isn't that a bit 'dubious'?

17 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

For uk Coins I would say no. Buyers don’t seem to care about this when buying raw.

38 minutes ago, kimchi said:

For a reputation as a seller isn't that a bit 'dubious'?

Not just UK coins but the same also applies for world coins, particularly non-gold denominations that saw circulation.

It is only 'excessive surface hairlines' that would be a problem as these tend to really impact the look of a coin as they are very noticeable to the naked eye, having said that I didn't bid on a 'raw' UNC scare date sixpence at a recent auction as I felt it was in this category but there was much bidding on it, both in the room and on-line, and it went for a very strong price. (I was amazed as I still had the coin on the table in front of me and thought I could have had a slabbed MS63 which would have been a much better coin for far less money!)