• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Identify this Charles and Diana Round?

Shamatti

Friends have this gold round which they were showing me today, knowing my interest in such things. I have concerns!

First up, I can't identify it. I have looked in all the usual places, and done some extensive Google work, but can find no trace of this round ever having existed!

Second it seems to be weighing in (OK Kitchen scales) at 35 grams, (If I put one of my silver coins on the scales it shows 31 grams)

The Coin:

post-8-0-24833100-1403282153_thumb.jpg  post-8-0-60483700-1403282170_thumb.jpg

The Box:

post-8-0-58473400-1403282601_thumb.jpg

Inside top cover of box:

post-8-0-29131500-1403282194_thumb.jpg

The package:

post-8-0-78999400-1403282629_thumb.jpg

They say they have had this since 1981. That they probably purchased it in Hong Kong. Might have been the UK, but it was that long ago they can't remember. They lived in Hong Kong at the time. I suspect this is where they got it.

Anyone ever heard of "The Royal Charles"?

What do you guys think?

I think is from Alderney,

Check this article towards the bottom is a silver coin exactly the same as your gold coin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1374160/Royal-Wedding-Canadas-William-Kate-Middleton-coin-better-likeness-UKs.html

The engraving, designed by Phillip Nathan, showed both Charles and Diana in profile, and captured a good likeness of them both.

Just 50,000 of the Alderney coins were made available in the special presentation folders, and just 100,000 will ever be minted.

The cupro-nickel coin, which costs £9.99,  is struck to a Brilliant Uncirculated quality, a higher specification than circulation coins. 

Rarer still, is the sterling silver version, £55.50, of which just 15,000 have been made, while just 1,000 were struck in 22-carat gold, each retailing at £1,550.

Says in the article posted by HT

"while just 1,000 were struck in 22-carat gold, each retailing at £1,550"

It's a nice coin! 

Hope it's genuine, I wonder what it would be worth now 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

As mentioned before somewhere in another topic, just go down to one of the local places that buy gold etc, they will tell you if it is gold or not and what it is worth. But only at scrap value, but at least you will know it is genuine.

I think is from Alderney,

Check this article towards the bottom is a silver coin exactly the same as your gold coin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1374160/Royal-Wedding-Canadas-William-Kate-Middleton-coin-better-likeness-UKs.html

The engraving, designed by Phillip Nathan, showed both Charles and Diana in profile, and captured a good likeness of them both.

Just 50,000 of the Alderney coins were made available in the special presentation folders, and just 100,000 will ever be minted.

The cupro-nickel coin, which costs £9.99,  is struck to a Brilliant Uncirculated quality, a higher specification than circulation coins. 

Rarer still, is the sterling silver version, £55.50, of which just 15,000 have been made, while just 1,000 were struck in 22-carat gold, each retailing at £1,550.

Thanks HT. good find! I still can't find any reference other than that article, but what a lead you have given me to follow! Brilliant!

I will try and find a jewellers with an xrf machine to test it for me.

Thanks HT. good find! I still can't find any reference other than that article, but what a lead you have given me to follow! Brilliant!

I will try and find a jewellers with an xrf machine to test it for me.

I am the google king. :D . Although seriously, i do have a knack for researching online. (Having written articles for books and mags on some esoteric topics in the past).

Archived