• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Possible Fake Panda

Daz147

I require a bit of assistence from you panda experts on here, I recieved this 2003 panda from ebay and it does not look right to me. 

1 the zero from the 10 looks rounder than it should be

2 the decimal point is too close to the g and 9

3 detail on the temple does not look correct.

There are 2 versions of the 2003 coin, a frosted and a mirrored version, can anyone say for sure that it is fake I wiould be grateful.

IMG_20161025_141259.jpgIMG_20161025_141247.jpg

I am not an expert at all but on the temple side the carpet design doesn't look right.  Also, the pressing looks too deep.  Legit coins have finer pressing than that.  IMO after only a few hours of my own research online.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I should start a new thread but I wanted to see what people thought of this coin.  I believe it to be fake because I bought it as part of a lot of "white metal" coins - no mention of Panda or silver.  They included some 1990s "Pandas" which even I could spot were fake but the 2000s seemed better.  I have tried weighing it doing a ping test and sliding a magnet down it.  None of those make me certain one way or the other but they have got the coin a bit mucky.  I have also looked at various pictures of genuine vs fake on eg chinamintinfo.  The latter says to look at the fur but honestly I cannot tell.  Also the picture of the real one on that website seemed to have the 1oz lettering incised into the surface of the coin while the fake had the lettering raised as on this coin but they do not say that is a thing to look for when trying to spot a fake.  This is not about getting money back but to help me to learn as I like them but would not want to m ix up the real ones with knock offs. So I am looking for any hints from the knowledgeable people on here as to what to look for especially when all you have to go on is a picture.  ThanksDSC00167.JPGDSC00168.JPG

2 hours ago, Bosse68 said:

It looks real to me, for good pics look at NGC homepage

https://www.ngccoin.com/priceguide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?lang=en-US&ChineseSetID=296&subcat=silver-panda-coin-prices

Your looks like a frosted variation

Bosse68

Thanks for the link - Yours was one of the sites I looked at by the way.  Very good it is too.

1 hour ago, Silverstackeruk said:

It looks real to me...or a really good fake...did you do a silver test on it?

Thanks.  The only things I did was weigh it (but on kitchen scales which only go to the nearest gram) ping it (not a great sound but I don't get a good ping even from the Pandas I believe to be genuine - certainly nothing like a maria theresia) and run a magnet down (which suggested silver but I do not know how magnets fare with silver plated coins).  I did not put acid on it or try weighing it in water if that is what you mean.  I probably need more accurate scales before I try anything like that.

Archived