• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pandas

Seasider

This lot of coins (I hope the images uploaded OK) came up in an auction today estimate £60-90.  It sold for a lot more and I wondered why. The 1991 Panda looked unusual to me but the two coin set was something to do with Tibet and I wondered if that was the reason.  I am ruling out the year of the rabbit coin because it looks like a cartoon.  Any thoughts?

21-4.jpg

21-3.jpg

21-2.jpg

21-1.jpg

21.jpg

The only picture of the other side of the Pandas is very blurry but I think they are 1 oz (certainly I can see a 10 yuan mark on one of them).  Is that £150 each??  If so that would explain it.  I thought someone had put the decimal point in the wrong place when they bid.

I hope you did not go there just for the one lot.  I was watching online and was waiting for the computer operator to correct the  bid but it never came.

As a matter of interest is the 1991 coin special?  I could not find it as design for a normal 1991 Panda.

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

The only picture of the other side of the Pandas is very blurry but I think they are 1 oz (certainly I can see a 10 yuan mark on one of them).  Is that £150 each??  If so that would explain it.  I thought someone had put the decimal point in the wrong place when they bid.

Around £150 for the three, maybe more if the 1992 is in superb condition

1 minute ago, HelpingHands said:

yep, that was mine!

99% of the lots belonged to just one deceased man.

I wonder how long it took his children to sell off his coins.

There were a couple of Fat Man dollars in one of the albums.  I imagine they were genuine based on the age of the collection but I wouldn't be able to tell a real Fat Man from the many fakes out there.

There was some other nice stuff in the album from Mexico Peru etc.

I didn't get that either.

So you think they were all enthusiastic about his collection while he was alive and told him they would treasure it when he was gone???:o

I don't know if you take a magnet with you but some old chinese coins of the "fantasy" variety are often highly magnetic.  They still look nice especially the ones with the dragons.

they are real, I have got some of these at home........third picture is from Tibet, that coins worth estimate XXXXXXXX k in pounds lol

that person is from hong kong because

in the old days, if you want to purchase these sets, you need to send off a cheque into mainland china and wait about 2 months to get them to post , however not many people is as stupid as I do ! only 3k set sold at the end

ps why it worth A LOT more because Tibet celebration aren't for sale in china

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

he must be stupid ............800 pounds........hahahahahahaha that's a joke right? just Tibet alone ..... VERY VERY VERY min 5k at trash condition

left hand side is just rubbish metal, so it worth nothing, but right hand side is PROOF silver, Tibet last time I have seen in the shop was around 5000 pounds no COA and no CAPSULE and no BOX and ......... rubbish condition

2016-07-14-PHOTO-00026772.jpg

2016-07-14-PHOTO-00026771.jpg

13 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

So I held a very expensive coin without knowing.  It has box and coa.

If I had got them you might've got a bargain as I may have listed it here for £20. 

One on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/elf-China-10-Yuan-1985-Proof-Silver-Tibet-Autonomous-Region-20th-Potala-Palace-/371248481078?hash=item5670224336

800 pounds is a joke ..... The winner must be laughing at the moment , hard to find , especially with COA 

your fault not to win that , I will pay you 25 pounds for it lol 

The original price was 35 pounds approx when silver was 4-5 dollar an ounce , I got told off by my mother because I used all my summer job left over money to by what she called trash .....

8 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

I thought I was getting the lot for £40 until the guy on the laptop said 'I've got a bid for £800'

There must have been at least two bidders to jump to £800, but you hint it may nave been instantaneous, so sounds strange.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

It always confuses me where an auctioneer starts the bidding.  Sometimes it is below the low estimate and sometimes it is above the high one.  I thought the bid must have been a commission bid because on my computer I cannot type in an amount only click on the next increment. If there were two commission bids don't they usually say I have two commission bids and I will start at x?  I didn't hear what the auctioneer was saying - I just saw the figure of £800 assumed that was typo for £80 and waited for it to be corrected and the next thing it had sold.

You can get runs of bids where internet users put in autobids and the computer just runs up until it runs out of all but one highest maximum bid.  Maybe that is what happened but then you usually get the auctioneer making some comment about the internet going mad.  Actually some auction sites have a bid +1 feature which I have never been brave enough to use.  It jumps your bid to the next level over your maximum to win the item.  I am always worried that if two bidders used that function the bidding might never stop!

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

It always confuses me where an auctioneer starts the bidding.  Sometimes it is below the low estimate and sometimes it is above the high one.  I thought the bid must have been a commission bid because on my computer I cannot type in an amount only click on the next increment. If there were two commission bids don't they usually say I have two commission bids and I will start at x?  I didn't hear what the auctioneer was saying - I just saw the figure of £800 assumed that was typo for £80 and waited for it to be corrected and the next thing it had sold.

You can get runs of bids where internet users put in autobids and the computer just runs up until it runs out of all but one highest maximum bid.  Maybe that is what happened but then you usually get the auctioneer making some comment about the internet going mad.  Actually some auction sites have a bid +1 feature which I have never been brave enough to use.  It jumps your bid to the next level over your maximum to win the item.  I am always worried that if two bidders used that function the bidding might never stop!

That was a real shame ! 800 pounds is a real bargain , with coa and the box as well 

hard to find real ones about 

this coin release just before the first silber panda .... 

Missed of the year for mr @helpinghands 

?

emile heskey does the rest ?

I dont know the value for that Tibet coinset, but the 10 yuan coin worth 400 rmb or 40 gbp.

The bronze medal doesn't worth anything, that kinds of medal is tourist product.

旅游纪念 = tourist product

Archived