• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1819 Gilded Crown

HelpingHands

Never seen a gilded one before, but there are lots on ebay of that condition without gilding going for a fair bit above spot. Agreed it looks ex-mount.

I have seen a gilded 1787 shilling before but even in decent condition no one wanted it and it sold for half the price a non gilded coin sells for if I remember right. I assumed at the time that meant the gilding was perhaps considered damage, perhaps as you say, done to make it attractive as jewellery and possibly that it was ex mount, though it did not appear to be so. 

As mentioned it does look to have been mounted at some point. Modifications of old coins do not usually sell well at auctions here in the UK but there is a collectors market in the US for mistrikes. Any gilding would need to be perfect - sixpences were gilded to pass off as half-sovereigns and do crop up regularly but other denominations are much rarer and have usually been done just to look nice at the time and will typically make less than a 'normal' coin.

ST

Hi, your crown was once a brooch the marks at 3 & 9 are solder where a brooch pin connected to, the mark at 6 would be a solder from a circular link when the coin can also be worn as a pendant. They sometimes are gilded a deep rich gold colour, the gilding in yours has faded maybe due to polish and the brooch part has been removed perhaps from a coin collector trying to turn the coin back into original state. 

I have owned a few, hope this helps.

Archived