• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/4 ounce gold queens beast

Pampfan

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that they don't release any more 1/4oz gold beasts.  What impact would one expect to the price of the "odd one out" 1/4oz Lion?  Would the premium fall as collectors are more likely to want a full set of same sized coins, or would it increase because of rarity/oddity?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming the latter scenario - that rarity drives the premium. Just look at gold Libertads where regardless of being proof or bullion, the premium is considerable, based on low mintage. And if the rumour that this will be the only QB in a quarter oz  (even if some proofs appear) then I expect these to become collectible. 

I will declare that I am biased here - -as I have been buying quite a few from Pinehurst when in the US. It's my way of effectively converting my $ into gold or £ if I sell them in the U.K., which I do on a small scale. ?

Lindeman 

Atties had the 1/4 in recently, coininvest are selling 25 or so at a more realistic price with many more available to pre order, 1000 I had in basket and they are usually pretty acurite Pinehurst and apmex have several hundred each in stock. I am starting to think these are not as limited as first thought. Where is all this additional stock coming from, thought the mint had stopping making them?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

• 3 weeks later...

In another forum someone got confirmation from RM that they will continue the 1/4 oz gold beast. Next beast is the griffin (2017) and then black bull (2017).

Apmex also has a picture already but not for pre-sale yet:
http://www.apmex.com/product/104274/2017-great-britain-1-4-oz-gold-queens-beasts-the-griffin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received my 1/4 lion from coindirect and love the coin but there is a very noticeable scratch on the queens cheek. About 3 to 4mm long and deep enough to be noticable from a foot away. given the high premium on this "bullion" Im guessing I should send it back?  I paid the premium for the numismatic quality and the scratch has made that part worthless.  Am I likely to encounter resistance?

I just received my 1/4 lion from coindirect and love the coin but there is a very noticeable scratch on the queens cheek. About 3 to 4mm long and deep enough to be noticable from a foot away. given the high premium on this "bullion" Im guessing I should send it back?  I paid the premium for the numismatic quality and the scratch has made that part worthless.  Am I likely to encounter resistance?

It's worth a try though 70% are like that as it's a bullion coin and most have thus slight damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, breaktwister said:

This is exactly why i've not purchased any more from dealers that have "just got more stock", clearly they are seconds on the market

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

It's worth a try though 70% are like that as it's a bullion coin and most have thus slight damage

Yes these were poorly minted coins, but we can't reside to the "bullion" excuse, its not acceptable for a newly minted coin, even 100 year old coins are still without the gouges 

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

I've heard stories of little elves going to all the mints of the world dropping milk on silver and gouging gold coins freshly minted for fun.

Conspiracy I tell you, brings to question each individuals opinion on bullion and numismatic coinage and the responsibility of the mints of the world in this regard. 

250 years from now, all the gold and silver we complain about now will probably be melted and transformed into something else.

Regardless if bullion or numismatic - as a consumer if we spend money on it we want the item to be perfect to our own standards.  

That being said, if you want a perfect coin, go find a ms70 graded by ngc or pcgs and buy it. You will pay a premium for this but then at least you get what you pay for. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot with ungraded coins and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not and you can either except it or return it.

I really hate milk spots?

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

That being said, if you want a perfect coin, go find a ms70 graded by ngc or pcgs and buy it. You will pay a premium for this but then at least you get what you pay for. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot with ungraded coins and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not and you can either except it or return it.

I really hate milk spots?

Me too. However, while buying a MS or PF70 graded coin will mean you get a perfect coin for now, it may not stay milk or tone free in the long run.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

55 minutes ago, dazzerbooth said:

Griffin now being sold on RM bullion @ £280

Yea just got this, not sure it'll be much cheaper elsewhere? @arshimo2012 :D

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Archived