• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 2016 Moon Festival & Smithsonian Panda Medals MCM Group buy

There are a couple of medals which I'm hoping to add to my collection sometime and just wondering if there was any interest in a group buy.  There is no discount on the item but shipping is effectively split and will work out a little cheaper than trying to buy 1 or 2 direct.

I am personally only interested in 2 medals:

2016 China 1 oz. Proof Silver Panda - Moon Festival Medal GEM Proof (Original Mint Capsule) $50 and

2016 China 1 oz. Proof Silver Smithsonian Institution Official Mint Commemorative Panda - Bei Bei GEM Proof (Original Mint Capsule) $50

It does require the purchase of 10 medals totaling a little under $500 for the $49 postage.

Here's the math: 

$500 (10 medals) + $50 postage / 1.3 (estimate exchange rate) = £423 X 1.2 (20% VAT) = 507 + £15 (approx customs clearance) / 10 = £52.20 each + £2.15 1st class signed forwarding post = £54.35

Works out at £54.35 each delivered.  I'm after 1 of each so that leaves 8 spaces. If anyone is interested, let me know.  They also have them slabbed as well but at $100 it does also double postage.

If there isn't a full 10 then I won't proceed.  If it exceeds 10 then I would need 20 to fit into the next shipping band.

Smithsonian.jpg

Moon Panda.jpg

MCM Postage.jpg

We have now hit 10 coins so it will be going ahead.  I can order more but will need an additional 10 (or $500 worth) since shipping is in order value bands.

If you are interested I can add your name to the list but unless another $500 is ordered, then I cannot order any additional pieces unless you wish to pay the additional shipping on a pro rota basis.

We are now at 3/10 5/10 of the additional coins.  I should also mention that if we get to a full 20pcs, then postage would decrease to $4 per coin and customs clearance halved which equate to around £1.50 discount bringing it down to ~£53.  This of course is reliant on the US$ rate staying marginally over 1.3.

I've had a little think and I may go down the GovMint route instead of MCM.  The shipping with GovMint is cheaper at US$30 but it's not possible to complete an international order online so I would have to phone it through.  I have ordered from them before and now that my details are on the system it should be straight forward.  Estimated pricing as follows based on 20 pcs.

US$1030 /1.3 (exchange rate) X 1.2 (VAT) = £950 + £15 (customs clearance) / 20 = £48.29 + £2.15 (1st signed) = £50.50 ish

Even with only 15 pcs the extra postage would take it up to £51.

Since postage is fixed with GovMint, the slabbed stuff is now a more viable purchase and is a matter of just adding on the price difference + VAT.

2016 China 1-oz Silver Moon Festival Panda Gem Proof are $20 more and it would work out at an additional £18.50

2016 China 1-oz Silver Moon Festival Panda NGC PF70 are $50 more and it would work out an additional £46.20

As it stands, I can go ahead with an order for approx 15 pcs with GovMint and would land delivered to you at around £51.

If there is anything that catches your eye on GovMint it can be added to the order.  Divide by 1.3 and multiply by 1.2 to give you an approx cost and then add on a suitable UK forwarding delivery charge.

This group buy will remain open for a couple more days.

Govmint ms70.jpg

govmint.jpg

To avoid confusion, here are the estimated prices for the coins.

Moon Festival or Smithsonian in Original Mint Packaging (capsule) £51

Moon Festival slabbed GEM £69.50

Moon Festival slabbed PF70 £97.20

I have allocated £2.15 for 1st class signed-for inc envelope but if you're buying multiple coins or a higher priced coin(s), you will need (I suggest) to change it to Special Delivery for the domestic postage otherwise it is not insured.  Please bear in mind that even 1st class signed-for is not insured and is at your own risk but for low value items it is more economical.  Ultimately, you decide which postage method you are happy with and pay accordingly.

24 minutes ago, Uwink said:

One of each if not too late!

Cheers.

Just in time.  Making the order around 2pm.  Put you down for 1 each of the Smithsonian and Moon Panda in Original Mint capsule.

The order is in.  Shipping works out to be $1.25/pc.  Estimate maybe 10 days or so and will update as info comes through.  Payment will be once I have them in hand and the exact customs charges known.  Real shame the $ rate has dropped but I think we may get $1.29 or at least 1.285.

Too late for group buy but sovereignsteve has some coming from his own source.  If anyone is after any from him, please contact him direct so this thread can be kept tidy with group buy info.

On 9/20/2016 at 01:23, morezone said:

I've had a little think and I may go down the GovMint route instead of MCM.  The shipping with GovMint is cheaper at US$30 but it's not possible to complete an international order online so I would have to phone it through.  I have ordered from them before and now that my details are on the system it should be straight forward.  Estimated pricing as follows based on 20 pcs.

US$1030 /1.3 (exchange rate) X 1.2 (VAT) = £950 + £15 (customs clearance) / 20 = £48.29 + £2.15 (1st signed) = £50.50 ish

Even with only 15 pcs the extra postage would take it up to £51.

Since postage is fixed with GovMint, the slabbed stuff is now a more viable purchase and is a matter of just adding on the price difference + VAT.

2016 China 1-oz Silver Moon Festival Panda Gem Proof are $20 more and it would work out at an additional £18.50

2016 China 1-oz Silver Moon Festival Panda NGC PF70 are $50 more and it would work out an additional £46.20

As it stands, I can go ahead with an order for approx 15 pcs with GovMint and would land delivered to you at around £51.

If there is anything that catches your eye on GovMint it can be added to the order.  Divide by 1.3 and multiply by 1.2 to give you an approx cost and then add on a suitable UK forwarding delivery charge.

This group buy will remain open for a couple more days.

Govmint ms70.jpg

govmint.jpg

Am looking to make my own bulk order.

Do GovMint allow bank transfer when you order over the phone. Or did you have to pay by card? 

My bank has really bad exchange rates.

When i try to order via the site it says this item only ships within the US.

Edited by TheWhiteStuff

@TheWhiteStuffNo idea on Bank Transfer as I paid by card and is an easier and cheaper option for me.  As you noticed, it's not possible to checkout on the website for international orders but they do ship internationally but it does mean phoning up.  My first order with them took a little while as they had to setup my details on their system and authorise it but they were kind enough to ring me back rather than have me hold on the phone.  

Small update.  Parcel is now at Parcel Force's International hub.  Seems there is an issue with the paper work so they have requested additional information.  I'll have to wait for their correspondence which will be a few days and then have to return it and then wait for them to process the parcel then ship it the depot and then wait for the charge letter and then arrange delivery.  Very long winded and I'm going to estimate next Tuesday/Wednesday.

Just been to pickup the parcel.  Parcel arrived at the depot on Tuesday early morning so I was expecting the charge letter to be posted on Wednesday to arrive to me today.  It hasn't arrived and I wasn't going to wait any longer as it would then mean delivery may not be scheduled until possibly Tuesday.

The parcel was originally held up at customs as they requested additional info.  I don't know why they would question it since the declaration on the parcel was all in order.  The description was correct as was the value.  If a low value and ambiguous description was used, I'd understand.  $1300 for 24 pcs of silver shouldn't really flag the shipment.

None of the capsuled medals come in OMP.  No idea why.  Wasn't advertised as OMP but MCM and the Coinshoppe received their stocks and sold theirs in OMP.  If any one is bothered by this, you can cancel your order if you wish as I am happy to keep them as spares or offer them out.  Each of the Moon Pandas comes with a booklet.

VAT charge of £209.28 of order value £1052.56 = 19.9%

Customs clearance fee of £13.50 for 24 items = 57p each

Postage of $30 for 24 pcs = $1.25 each

Exchange rate charge by credit card was 1.3

Moon Panda Capsuled = $49.95 + $1.25 / 1.3 = £39.39 X 1.199 = £47.23 + 57p = £47.80

Moon Panda GEM Slabbed = $69.95 + $1.25 / 1.3 = £54.77 X 1.199 = £65.67 + 57p = £66.24

Moon Panda PF70 = $99.95 + $1.25 / 1.3 = £77.85 X 1.199 = £93.34 + 57p = £93.91

Smithsonian Panda Capsuled = $49.95 + $1.25 / 1.3 = £39.39 X 1.199 = £47.23 + 57p = £47.80

I will be contacting everyone tonight to price up their postage method and sort payment.

2016-10-13 14.52.51.jpg

2016-10-13 14.57.07.jpg