• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver crowns

prophet800

I have a question,  are silver crowns/half crowns worth collecting? I know it is an open question as one person will say yes and another will say no it just depends what you are into I suppose.

I understand a little about gold sovereigns ie  low mintages, shield back, special editions etc but does this count for the crowns as well? Are there ones that are more collectable and worth more than others or in the end are they only worth the weight of silver in them?

Could they be a good future investment?

I am just getting into British coinage, and have seen half crowns go from around £10 to sill money depending on condition of course.

As per value of silver to pounds spent its not worth it unless your buying poor quality scrap coins then ,yes it's a good store of silver.

It is something that needs alot of DYOD ,i have so much to learn.I am just sticking to Edward V11 as his was a short reign from 1902 to 1910, but there are all the other coins from Canada,Hong Kong,India, etc .

The Half crown is a good size i found to look at and handle,everything smaller i have trouble seeing as my eyesight is rubbish.

All in all a very enjoyable part of the stacking hobby.I recommend having a dabble with it.It is good fun trawling E-bay to find coins at a good price and condition.

If you buy top-grade crowns and half crowns, you are unlikely to lose in the long-run.  Numismatics, in general, are very strong asset at the moment.  A little bit of knowledge can go a long way, as well - easy to profit if nobody else is clued up on grades etc.

Being a novice i bought a shilling the other day what i thought was in good condition for the money only to realise it had been cleaned, i am not to bothered as i only paid a fiver i think without looking in my book,and it was a lesson learned now rather than later, on a more expensive coin.

I remember the 3D's going for 99p and £1.00 postage now there alot higher.

I used to buy all of the different kinds of pre 1920's UK silver coinage in the past from ebay thinking it was a good way to stack silver - you don't find much silver for spot value and the same applies with crowns and such, but it was cheaper than buying bullion coins from a dealer with VAT (this was before I found Silver to Go and other European dealers).

If you want to do it I would advise buying bulk lots BY WEIGHT rather than working out the individual coins mint weight and setting a price to buy that kind of coin (as I did). If you have a set price for a shilling for example and put in a max bid based on that and win, when you come to weigh your coins you will find that due to their age and circulation, they don't weight nearly as much as they did at mint so you have ended up paying way over spot. Did that a few times before I realised.

That said reselling them you do make your money back even on worn coins in my limited experience. I don't know enough about the numismatic prices or appreciation potential to comment on that side of things long term.

I have recently sold almost all of my pre 1920's coinage for a modest profit and put the proceeds back into bullion gold which obviously has a far lower spread. I still have a little milled crown date run, one of each from George III and IV through Victoria and the 1902 crown of Edward VII and intend to keep those. I am missing the 1822 George IV, they are common in battered grade, but anything better is always far too expensive - I have been casually watching for around 18 months in vain waiting for one to pop up at the right price and complete the collection. I also lack the Victoria Gothic crown, but at over 2 grand a pop I think that coin is in a different league to my modest VF-EF coins. :)

• 1 month later...

I must admit they look good and I also prefer the old coins, a bit of history so to say. I received my first yesterday and I think its a great coin, not of the standard of these two but it was a tester to see if I like them and I do haha.

I will be putting pics up once a coin arrives from the royal mint hopefully tomorrow. 

The crown on the right was on a coin auction site at £95 last year, I got it on ebay this year for £70, the one on the left I bought last week on ebay for £65, I like the large amount of detail left on them so am happy with what I paid, I am looking at keeping them long term and would like to yhink there will be a bit of profit if I sold them !

I dont know but if they have then they have been done well, as far as I know signs of cleaning are tiny swirl scratches and dirt remaining around the raised lettering among other things, to me they look in very nice condition but I am no coin expert, I just like to collect them, I am confident that if I do eventually sell them in future I will at least recoup my money going by what they sell for on ebay.

They do have a nice natural looking lustre which does not show ip on the photos.

I have got an 1887 victoria shilling thats been cleaned and is nearly as shiney as a new bullion silver coin ! I know cleaning can devalue coins but if you are buying to collect as a hobby and not to make money then its not too important is it ?

Although I am no expert in coin grading, i set a limit of paying less than half the coins value in the Spink book for what I think the grade is, I personally think the grade of these cowns is just below EF, some with more knowldge may disagree, I know a coin dealer who says I am getting better at grading lol, as long as the coin has good detail left and is in good overall condition I am happy 

Archived