• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - See a deal, post here :)

morezone
Message added by ChrisSilver

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it when there were 8 just after 4pm so with the prices being so high I didn't want to risk buying blind.  If only they had put them up 10 minutes earlier.  I wish they would also let you buy over the phone using a debit card or at least hold a coin for you when you ask, even for only 15 minutes.  I've been caught out like that before, asking them to hold a coin for you until you can pay for it via a bank transfer 5 minutes later only to find it has been sold to someone else in the meantime.

17 minutes ago, Murph said:

I saw it when there were 8 just after 4pm so with the prices being so high I didn't want to risk buying blind.  If only they had put them up 10 minutes earlier.  I wish they would also let you buy over the phone using a debit card or at least hold a coin for you when you ask, even for only 15 minutes.  I've been caught out like that before, asking them to hold a coin for you until you can pay for it via a bank transfer 5 minutes later only to find it has been sold to someone else in the meantime.

can you not order online and pay later by BT, or did you not have internet access?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

It's getting them to keep coins after I phone and then go to complete the online order and/or pay by bank transfer I have problems with.  As I say keeping them reserved, even for 10 minutes would do or letting you pay over the phone.

It's getting them to keep coins after I phone and then go to complete the online order and/or pay by bank transfer I have problems with.  As I say keeping them reserved, even for 10 minutes would do or letting you pay over the phone.

Why do you need to phone them?

Stacker since 2013

7 hours ago, Murph said:

Yes, the coins need to be ordered for the system to take them off sale, otherwise someone else can buy them. We see this clearly when coins have disappeared in the time it takes to complete checkout.

i have bought lots of times from HGM. It is a lucky dip but in general i feel i have got more than value.

If you don't push the button to buy; the coins are still available. If i were HGM i wouldn't hold my breath let alone coins. 

It is not fair to other potential buyers who are willing to commit to a sale. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, Danny-boy said:

Why do you need to phone them?

For example to check if halves are young head or jubilee head, which I don't really consider to be proper shieldbacks or if there are a few to just check they aren't all the same date.  Also post brexit vote prices have sometimes been similar to coin dealers prices where you are getting a known year and graded coin so in that case I sometimes ask the date or check they aren't damaged.  I've been pretty unlucky, it seems, in receiving some lower grade or exmount coins when buying blind.  

Not that I'd phone and ask for the dates of 8 coins. :)

8 minutes ago, Murph said:

For example to check if halves are young head or jubilee head, which I don't really consider to be proper shieldbacks or if there are a few to just check they aren't all the same date.  Also post brexit vote prices have sometimes been similar to coin dealers prices where you are getting a known year and graded coin so in that case I sometimes ask the date or check they aren't damaged.  I've been pretty unlucky, it seems, in receiving some lower grade or exmount coins when buying blind.  

Not that I'd phone and ask for the dates of 8 coins. :)

With respect, those issues seem entirely of your own making.

Whether you consider them 'real' shieldbacks is down to preference; HGM can't help that and shouldn't have to hold a coin whilst you decide to buy or not to buy, when someone else is more than willing to buy blind, pay, and take their chances.

I sympathise on ex-mount coins, although I believe they will take these back if they've slipped through the quality-control.

HGM work in a certain way. It is down to their business model and staffing resources. I doubt they'll change but we can choose to buy or not.

Regarding the half shield issue, I agree that jubilee heads are less desirable and less valuable. I have tried to change their way of categorising and pricing these coins and was promised it would happen as part of the new website design. I have no idea if that has happened as I haven't seen a "shieldback" half for sale since.

1 hour ago, Clens92 said:

With respect, those issues seem entirely of your own making.

Whether you consider them 'real' shieldbacks is down to preference; HGM can't help that and shouldn't have to hold a coin whilst you decide to buy or not to buy, when someone else is more than willing to buy blind, pay, and take their chances.

I sympathise on ex-mount coins, although I believe they will take these back if they've slipped through the quality-control.

I never ask them to hold a coin while I decide to buy or not to buy.  I simply stated I'd like them to allow me to pay for a coin immediately - unlike their current system which allows you to click buy and not pay for up to a couple of days I believe.  Either that or allow me to say I am buying it give me 5 or 10 minutes tops to pay for it/them.

I made no mention of asking them to wait while I decide whether to buy and certainly wouldn't do that.  I can't even see where I suggested that.  Neither would I send a coin back unless it was really bad and I'd paid a premium.  I believe I've only sent a coin back once and have had mounting marks, bent coins and the like from them on a number of occasions.

47 minutes ago, Murph said:

I never ask them to hold a coin while I decide to buy or not to buy.  I simply stated I'd like them to allow me to pay for a coin immediately - unlike their current system which allows you to click buy and not pay for up to a couple of days I believe.  Either that or allow me to say I am buying it give me 5 or 10 minutes tops to pay for it/them.

The problem is that they don't deal over the phone as they have no idea you are who you say you are. You have an online account and log in as per normal, so they know who they are dealing with. I would imagine the staff time to sell and complete a transaction by phone would be substantial and probably the credit/debit card payment facilty would cost them money. All things to increase their costs and therefore the prices they charge.

Just as an aside, taking card payments over the phone via a 'chip and pin' machine exposes the retailer to some large charges in the instance of a chargeback, and a 1% - 1.5% charge per transaction to cover the bank's fees on every transaction.  When HGM are working on Spot +2-4%, that's a lot of margin.

21 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

The problem is that they don't deal over the phone as they have no idea you are who you say you are. You have an online account and log in as per normal, so they know who they are dealing with. I would imagine the staff time to sell and complete a transaction by phone would be substantial and probably the credit/debit card payment facilty would cost them money. All things to increase their costs and therefore the prices they charge.

Lol, I never get a chance to say who I am; they refer to me by name without me having to say a word! ;)

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Lol, I never get a chance to say who I am; they refer to me by name without me having to say a word! ;)

You must be one of their "top customers" then, either that or they have you marked as an awkward one and need all the staff to be warned when you call!:D

Interesting Isle Man Crown at Atkinsons.  Works out at around 12% over spot so not exactly cheap and even less so as it doesn't have a box or COA.

This Pre-Owned 2002 Isle of Man Tri Color 1 oz Proof Quality Gold Crown was issued to celebrate the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

Contains 1.125 oz of .75 fine Yellow, White, and Rose Gold in Proof finish (0.8439 AGW).

Better pics here at Apmex.

1 minute ago, Deputydog said:

Hi, whats the best way to pay Apmex.

Does transferwise work?

Thanks

Deputydog

Nope.  Neither will CurrencyFair.  They use the ACH deposit method which Apmex don't accept.  HiFX use wire transfer and that's who I've used in the past.  

Archived