• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - See a deal, post here :)

morezone
Message added by ChrisSilver

Hatton have got the 10 dollar liberty heads back.  They either got a pile or someone has changed their mind about buying them as they had them yesterday but they went and returned with shield sov and a couple of 5 dollar liberty heads at just after 12 today.  Everything went quickly but the 10s are back again.

strange goings on unless there is something wrong with them and buyers keep changing their minds or they have a lot and are only adding them bit by bit?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if they edit stock figures in line with the risks they're willing to take with the price of gold over night. Seems reasonable, to a degree.

I think their gold rate only changes daily, with the London rate? But I have noticed after close of shop that they may change the +3% to +5% if spot price shoots up one evening, for example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isle-of-Mann-2016-1-4-Oz-Platinum-Fine-Quarter-Noble-Coin-BOXED-PROOF/292308424173?hash=item440ef095ed:g:yGMAAOSwPIhZ8wLE

Not gold, but a 1/4 platinum IOM Noble BIN £200

I suggested one of these before and it turned out not be platinum and the seller was trying it on, but this is a jeweler so I would guess they know what they're doing 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 minutes ago, Kman said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isle-of-Mann-2016-1-4-Oz-Platinum-Fine-Quarter-Noble-Coin-BOXED-PROOF/292308424173?hash=item440ef095ed:g:yGMAAOSwPIhZ8wLE

Not gold, but a 1/4 platinum IOM Nobel BIN £200

I suggested one of these before and it turned out not be platinum and the seller was trying it on, but this is a jeweler so I would guess they know what they're doing 

What DIY tests are there for platinum?  How do you test it when its sealed?  Its one of those things you might only find out if it s fake several years down the line when you liquidate it.

23 minutes ago, Kman said:

Not gold, but a 1/4 platinum IOM Noble BIN £200

Gone - really nice piece - shame

2017 sovereign for 240 pounds at Sharps Pixley with free delivery. I've compared them to other sites and they come up the cheapest as some sites are cheaper but charge for delivery.

They guarantee to have the lowest online prices.

I am sure they must have had a lot of impulse buys in the later hours of the days when live spot price shifted even slightly, but sharply, turning business away from their competitors into their checkouts. That market is gone now.

I suppose it's possible that they lost too much profit on these sales to keep honouring the London prices during spot increases? But how much can it really change over the course of the average night? A few quid on the ounce? Enough to lure away competitor's customers but it can't be breaking their bank. Well, time will tell if their sales figures change.

But why remove the +%? That won't affect live pricing and was a big influence on which gold some people would buy, or whether to buy at all in some cases. If I see "+2%" I might leap on it. If I see a nice sovereign at £235 and it happens to be +2% but they don't show it easily.. I might overlook it. Yeah, I could poke a calculator a few times and get the answer. But I poke one enough most days.

Maybe it's a temporary site redesign oversight and we'll have our helpful % back :P 

9 minutes ago, Jay2 said:

I am sure they must have had a lot of impulse buys in the later hours of the days when live spot price shifted even slightly, but sharply, turning business away from their competitors into their checkouts. That market is gone now.

I suppose it's possible that they lost too much profit on these sales to keep honouring the London prices during spot increases? But how much can it really change over the course of the average night? A few quid on the ounce? Enough to lure away competitor's customers but it can't be breaking their bank. Well, time will tell if their sales figures change.

But why remove the +%? That won't affect live pricing and was a big influence on which gold some people would buy, or whether to buy at all in some cases. If I see "+2%" I might leap on it. If I see a nice sovereign at £235 and it happens to be +2% but they don't show it easily.. I might overlook it. Yeah, I could poke a calculator a few times and get the answer. But I poke one enough most days.

Maybe it's a temporary site redesign oversight and we'll have our helpful % back :P 

Exactly.  Putting the Spot calculation back in would take 10 seconds so hopefully it won't be a permanent issue.

It's more concerning on how they will deal with processing gold that they receive.  I send it to them and it's always been the case that they pay the PM Spot for my gold; I don't want to faff around with live pricing like every other website.

The only time they will have missed out majorly would have been Brexit night - other than that, their margins generally cover the minor fluctutations day to day.

they could keep the higher premium stuff listed overnight?

the bigger margin would usually mean small % rises in gold

doesn't affect their profit as much.

the investment page has the +3% listed on popular coins but

you need to click on the links for the price in £.

HH

And it appears that they've also reduced the price they're paying on gold as well. 

They'll pay 98% of spot for a full sovereign, but only 95% for a half sovereign. 

97% on gold bars, it seems.

But any coins under an ounce which aren't a full sovereign seem to be only 95% of Spot... that's a pretty poor price.

They've also removed their Voucher Code box, which got you an extra 1% on scrap gold.

Perhaps things are not quite so rosy as they seem with the company.

6 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

And it appears that they've also reduced the price they're paying on gold as well. 

They'll pay 98% of spot for a full sovereign, but only 95% for a half sovereign. 

97% on gold bars, it seems.

But any coins under an ounce which aren't a full sovereign seem to be only 95% of Spot... that's a pretty poor price.

They've also removed their Voucher Code box, which got you an extra 1% on scrap gold.

Perhaps things are not quite so rosy as they seem with the company.

I had a very in-depth chat with one of the ladies on the phone, very nice lady. Just for comparison I probed her on her margins, she asked why I only buy certain types of gold, she told me that once out-goings are paid the profit is wafer thin. I certainly wouldn't want to be in their position, as much as they are probably number one in the country I can imagine that when business slows down it gets ugly pretty quickly for them.

3 minutes ago, oliversw5 said:

I had a very in-depth chat with one of the ladies on the phone, very nice lady. Just for comparison I probed her on her margins, she asked why I only buy certain types of gold, she told me that once out-goings are paid the profit is wafer thin. I certainly wouldn't want to be in their position, as much as they are probably number one in the country I can imagine that when business slows down it gets ugly pretty quickly for them.

Absolutely; I can imagine that a couple of percent of movement in Spot can make things quite uncomfortable for them.  But similarly, some of their pricing is just silly - charging Spot + 23% + VAT on second silver when they pay pennies for it, for instance.

I'm all for giving a business a healthy profit, but "pile it high, sell it cheap" only works if you do actually sell cheap.  Once a premium gets to 5%, I can go to any number of dealers and pick a coin based on condition as well.  Honestly, HGM have been great for me but their way of working is really without logic at times.

12 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

Their silver buying prices used to be competitive. Not anymore. Most their competitors are paying more for silver now. 

3 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

But similarly, some of their pricing is just silly - charging Spot + 23% + VAT on second silver when they pay pennies for it, for instance.

especially if they can easily sell them competitively on the margin scheme 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I have been buying elsewhere hgm are not a cheap dealer anymore and I have had some shockers from them in the past when buying premium coins. They were the go to for a long time. When they started putting bullion sovereigns up and adding a fiver for older heads I started looking elsewhere and was surprised there is a lot on offer at other dealers. 

Selling they were excellent paying on London fix and money received next day but offering 95% is very poor now, there are far better offers elsewhere. 

Just now, KDave said:

Selling they were excellent paying on London fix and money received next day but offering 95% is very poor now, there are far better offers elsewhere. 

lol yeah - like us - we would happily pay 98% of spot :P 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

1 minute ago, Clens92 said:

Absolutely; I can imagine that a couple of percent of movement in Spot can make things quite uncomfortable for them.  But similarly, some of their pricing is just silly - charging Spot + 23% + VAT on second silver when they pay pennies for it, for instance.

I'm all for giving a business a healthy profit, but "pile it high, sell it cheap" only works if you do actually sell cheap.  Once a premium gets to 5%, I can go to any number of dealers and pick a coin based on condition as well.  Honestly, HGM have been great for me but their way of working is really without logic at times.

I can relate, my bread and butter is literally buying fractional from HGM at spot plus 3% but they do work in weird ways. For example 1/10 brits are spot plus 8%. Today I had the choice of buying a 1/10 brit or a 1/10 Krug. It is a very easy choice. I can slap a tenner on the Krug but I can't on the Brit as people won't pay it. I also don't understand why a Krug full is spot plus 2% but a Brit is spot plus 3. Surely they can make deals on brits as they are big enough, you will often see that hey will have no stock and then they have 100 sovs or 20 Krugs, that is retail buying so they are in a position to lower the premium. As for the silver, I only buy 100 gram, lunars or pandas from there, can't make money on anything else and Im certainly not willing to take a punt on the silver unlike the gold.

Archived