• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do you store information about your stacking?

jayboat

So as the title says how do you store your stacking information?

Pen and paper, phone-tablet apps, excel are something like it spread sheets are dont bother and just wing it. 

I use a simple excel sheet that holds around 20-25 stats that i feel i need. Took me around 3-4 hours to make and polish off. I update it after every unboxing, dividing the postage cost into the number of coins received and adding that number to each coin as it inputted to give true costing. 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I do the same with a spread sheet. 
Also devide the postage cost over my received coins.

I also keep a spread sheet of all the coins that i like that are auctioned on ebay. 
So i can compare my prices (postage in) with what others pay (without postage)

I do a spreadsheet that I can update from phone or laptop. It's simple but has item, type, qty, seller username, forum/ebay/website, date and divides up postage per item. Also works out total ounces & grams and avg cost per ounce.

Big old spreadsheet! I have one for anything I buy, so I can compare things in the future. I then have a 'current stack' sheet where I keep all the info on items I have in my stack. There is then a sales sheet for tracking all items I sell. It then updates the current stack sheet when its moved to sales sheet.

Works for me, but I have seen some stackers on youtube work on pen and paper! Each to their own!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I wonder if there are a pre made stacking spreadsheet out there. I have searched google and found a few very basic ones, i mean very basic and i wonder if there is something better out there on the interweb. 

I always just make my own using simple formulas. I only use 1 pre built spreadsheet for my matched betting and it's the muts nuts. Would be nice to have the muts nuts version for stacking. Maybe i should just put in the time and make a v2.0 of mine. 

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Here it is for anyone to download directly if they want it 

Stack Spreadsheet.ods

Just had a quick peep at it there, looks good. I'll look into more tomarrow as its bedtime now :'( Thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

I don't keep copies of what I have; my fright is others knowing,

but i do appreciate that you do need to keep track of your belongings, certainly a larger collection

If i only stacked bars, rounds are had a single coin stack of something like britannias, i do not think i would track it. I could just count it and times it by spot. I dont think there will be a real SHTF moment and i stack semi bullion, meaning i need to track it to make better decisions on what coins to buy to give me max profit. 

• 1 month later...
On 31 August 2016 at 19:21, Paul said:

Here it is for anyone to download directly if they want it 

Stack Spreadsheet.ods

Thanks for the document.

I have converted it to .xls and have started playing with it.

=== EDIT: I've found it!:

http://www.howtogeek.com/240316/how-to-change-the-currency-symbol-for-certain-cells-in-excel/

As most of my purchases so fa have been in s, can anybody tell me how to edit the field, so that it will accept also € as a currency?

Excel spreadsheet using Pivot tables so I can analyse everything regarding source, net landed cost etc. and where the coins are located - attic box 6, under the fish pond in plastic bag, deep freezer in garage - you get the drift. Problem is you can also check current value against spot and weep !!

My avg per oz was below spot for around a month after brexit before i started ordering again. Just put in a decent order and it'll arrive tomorrow are Tuesday. When those coins are added to the sheet, i will weep also. I have just added a total stack value ebay sell off where fees and rough postage costs are deducted, basically showing an ebay sell off figure. I value my stack off ebay sold listings.

My wife tells me i have to much time, i tell her i'm being creative, haha :) 

I wrote a mobile app for this... I'm still working on it as it is not PM specific. I also do not have PM specific details but it'll get there over time. I'm still trying to figure out ways to make it more efficient and usable.

I have an Excel sheet along with I print off the order when it's made and file it along with the sales invoice I get when stuff arrives. I kept my sheet simple enough so that I don't dread updating it when I make new purchases. Records are only good if they are current and contain the information you really need.  

As im VERY new to this ive found this thread very useful, I like keeping track of things and as Im starting from scratch it'll be good to get in all the fields from the off so Im not looking back through my mail history and reciepts 6 months down the line.

As a bare minimum what would everyone consider the most usefull things to record as I dont want to miss anything, likewise there maybe somthing that I think is irelevant to record now but may be useful down the road...

I include a few things in mine, but then mine is basic and you could whip it up in 30 mins are so. 

For each coin my headings are. Year, Coin mint and name, Avg Cost per coin, total qty, total cost, total oz's, avg cost per oz. 

I keep 3-4 pre-coded lines at the bottom to copy paste from when adding new coins. Some people add in supplier details, bank exchange rates and lots of other stuff. I depends on what information you will want to know. 

My advice would be the just play around with a few things until to hit something.

I would like to have my own excel template but I am not an excel expert. I need a way to flip between euros and Pounds, as I buy gold in £ and silver in €.

I would think the money leaves your bank account in pounds. Most on here buy from europe from sites that are priced in euros. I always just divide the fees by the amount of coins i ordered, same as i do with postage to give the true avg cost.

Is that what your talking about? 

if I had a spreadsheet I would convert all prices

to local currency at the time of purchase and log

that. all you need to know at the time of selling is

how much local currency you're getting for your

items. if you must accept foreign currency then

work out what the selling price is in local currency

and charge the equivalent in foreign currency at

the time of selling. if deciding to sell then decide if

you are willing to sell at the local currency equivalent

offered.

what I was on about is pm buying strategies should be

more of an art than a science. logging every detail is