• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's Your Gold To Silver Ratio?

NumisNewbie

Are you guys talking ounces ratio or monetary  ratio

1 hour ago, KDave said:

If you don't mind me asking - Do you have a silver fort knox or is a fractional piece of gold skewing the numbers there? :)

was thinking the same

3 hours ago, KDave said:

14:1 so like the rest of you I need more gold. While working it out I notice the PM side of things is taking over the portfolio a bit given the price rises so I may need to hold off. :o

Diversification is hard sometimes. Speaking of which;

If you don't mind me asking - Do you have a silver fort knox or is a fractional piece of gold skewing the numbers there? :)

got 1 fractional piece of gold :) 

188.72 to 1

Although something just popped into my head, we call it the GSR, Gold to silver ratio......but weirdly, we write down the number as "X" ounces of silver to 1 ounce of gold, which is the other way round, ie how much silver to equal gold, the silver to gold ratio, the SGR

Should it not the GSR be how many ounces of gold to one ounce of silver, which in that case mine is 0.0053053428883919 : 1

;)

1 hour ago, HighlandTiger said:

188.72 to 1

Although something just popped into my head, we call it the GSR, Gold to silver ratio......but weirdly, we write down the number as "X" ounces of silver to 1 ounce of gold, which is the other way round, ie how much silver to equal gold, the silver to gold ratio, the SGR

Should it not the GSR be how many ounces of gold to one ounce of silver, which in that case mine is 0.0053053428883919 : 1

;)

you should have been a scientist!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, HighlandTiger said:

188.72 to 1

;)

True and you can get charts that will denote it that way. In forex it's eur/gbp but most Brits -and most Europeans I know too- would work it out the other way round, putting the stronger of the two first. Saying that I do remember several confused conversations in my favourite currency exchange shop in Berlin when I've asked for the gbp/eur rate. At least they had gold & silver for sale in the shop and understood it as money: try finding a bureau de change in the UK that does the same. No chance.

Cable is pound 1st, dollar 2nd so no biggie. I wonder if Americans like it the other way round too?

Perhaps Gold & Silver trips more easily off the tongue than Silver & Gold or maybe it just feels better and/or simpler for anyone top heavy in silver which, let's face it, would be most folk. Mine would be 0.0172727272727273:1. Slightly harder to remember, I think. Can get messy, them decimal places.

• 5 months later...

I've been collecting for about two years but my mind has changed a couple of times on what my money gets spent on.

I started out ONLY wanting Silver. Didnt care about gold or numi coins.

Now I collect mostly gold 70/30 and have started to collect some numi Silver coins.

Has your mind changed since the start of your investment buying? What pm do you invest in the most?

I have a similar story to @danmc82 i started collecting with the intention of only buying silver. A year and a half later I currently own 38.5:1 (silver - gold), with gold increasing quicker than silver, mainly due to the high silver premiums and vat/delivery costs from eu. If the UK does a hard Brexit think I'll be going 100% with Gold apart from a couple of Oz  each of panda Kook and koala. 

I also started with the intention of  half stacker/flipper half collector which isn't working very well either as I'm reluctant to sell any if it ( luckily I dont need to)

Just calculated my silver to gold ratio and it is currently at 17.5 to 1.  That is very strange to me as I never intended my stack to be in the exact correlation with what the estimated ratio of silver to gold is in the Earth. ( according to USA geologists) ??

currently on

1oz gold
~850oz silver

Mainly still accumulating silver, but the GSR is getting more fair now.

I always want to be accumulating the cheaper metal. Current plan is something like this:

GSR current level: buy gold:silver in 2:98 ratio
GSR below 60, buy gold:silver in 50:50 ratio
GSR below 50, buy gold:silver in 75:25 ratio
GSR below 42, buy gold only
GSR below 35, Swap 80% of my silver for gold
GSR below 25, Swap remaining silver for gold

Mine is 36.5:1 silver to gold.  I started pretty much the same.  I only wanted to accumulate silver, but when I tallied up wot I'd spent  verses current spot price every mth, the 20% vat left a huge negative margin.  

Now I only buy gold.  I get some silver usually given to me as presents but that's free so doesn't count haha. I'm in a possitive balance on how much I've spent on gold compared to spot price.  The gold price was pretty low when I started which was great but as for how long with prices this high who knows.

Archived