• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today's Boot Fair Bargains

Well Sunday has come around again, but today I didn't go to any boot fair. (To be honest I couldn't be arsed getting up early), so I went upmarket and headed to an antiques fair in Exeter. Loads of shiny silver on show at silly prices. (I'm convinced dealers think Silver is £50 an oz) but no one was buying any. (time to rethink your pricing strategies my dealer friends). There were a few coin stalls there and I picked up a few items. 

First my largest ever coin in both size and price, a Panama 1972, 20 "Rocky" Balboas. almost 4 oz t in size for the modest fee of £60 (down from £75). And from the same guy, a 1996 kook for £25. So I didn't do too bad there. I quite like the big Panama mug coaster, so I might keep my eyes open for more in the future.

on another stall, I spotted an 1880 USA Morgan dollar, and through my little loupe I noticed a little "o" mint mark. Meaning New Orleans I think. Price - a little trifle of just £17, battering the dealer down from a massive £18.  :D . 

Now all I need is our resident Morganmeister, the infallable Ares, to tell me if my first ever Morgan coin was a good price or not.

Now I'm off to get the polish out, that Morgan is looking a little dirty from all the handling it's had over the years from those dubious french speaking women of ill repute riding those paddle steamers along the mighty Mississippi.  ;)

post-140-0-89741800-1404067329.jpg

Some better pics of the Morgan for Ares

post-140-0-52056400-1404071310.jpgpost-140-0-25679400-1404071323.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id like to head to some antique fairs i think, nice to know your going to see some cool items even if they are silly money..I want a sovereign case..though I yet have any sovs lol:)

Games work well mate if you can get for a pound each, just need to learn the right ones (no sports games ever unless brand new out ones) and make sure not scratched to bad, also controllers are good, I got a duelshock 3 ps3 controller today for a pound, CEX paid me 11! 

With the euros i exchanged this made for instant cash profit today of £29 and that felt real good, nice to not have to find a buyer and just take somewhere for cash:)

From the picture it looks like it's an example which has been nicely worn and given it - IMO - a very good looking tone*. I've seen crappier looking Morgans - which looked far worse worn than yours - with no tone make that price on eBay excluding delivery.

I'd say that's a good job, a picture of the other side would be nice too ;)

From the picture it looks like it's an example which has been nicely worn and given it - IMO - a very good looking tone*. I've seen crappier looking Morgans - which looked far worse worn than yours - with no tone make that price on eBay excluding delivery.

I'd say that's a good job, a picture of the other side would be nice too ;)

New pics added  ;)

Ahh, the usual places are worn (hair, bird breast and wing feather detail) but that's to be expected for a circulated Morgan.

I would have been happy to pay £17 for that coin, I'll put I that way :)

Ahh, the usual places are worn (hair, bird breast and wing feather detail) but that's to be expected for a circulated Morgan.

I would have been happy to pay £17 for that coin, I'll put I that way :)

Thanks mate. Appreciate your input. I think I'll be keeping my eye open for more of these little coins on my travels

id like to head to some antique fairs i think, nice to know your going to see some cool items even if they are silly money..I want a sovereign case..though I yet have any sovs lol:)

Games work well mate if you can get for a pound each, just need to learn the right ones (no sports games ever unless brand new out ones) and make sure not scratched to bad, also controllers are good, I got a duelshock 3 ps3 controller today for a pound, CEX paid me 11! 

With the euros i exchanged this made for instant cash profit today of £29 and that felt real good, nice to not have to find a buyer and just take somewhere for cash:)

I had a quick look on the CEX website. (Luckily we have a CEX in the town nearby), I noticed that sports games were only being bought for 30p. I'm going to do abut of studying on their site. especially controllers. I'm always seeing controllers on stalls. 

I got a duelshock 3 ps3 controller today for a pound, CEX paid me 11! 

You were done mate. their website says you should have got £14. Dodgy assistant pocketing the difference I think.  

SPS3SONDS3_s.jpg

PS3 Official Dual Shock 3 Controller

Gaming / Playstation3 Accessories

WeSell for £30.00
WeBuy for £14.00

WeBuy for voucher £20.00

Theres 2 controllers mate, mine was the "six axis" what's only 11 so the price was right, and it had six axis written on the control, shame it wasn't the other more expensive one though lol.

Interesting discussion gents, It's surprising the sort of money that could be earned.

Might trek to the local car boot which is still some 1.5 hours away on foot ;)

People are starting to catch on I think mate, but some are still not clued up on it, certain dvds they buy for 4/5 quid ie "ray mears wild britain" Disney dvds are usually good to.

couple of points to be careful on, badly scratched disks they wont take, and nor region one so worth checking. Also CEX change there prices on a daily basis so a quick trip to the store is essential.

You cant make much from it, but a bit of knowledge about a lot of things seems to be the way with boot sales:)  

Cheers MB.

Enjoyed the meet today, could have talked for eons but needs must.

We will meet again sometime soon.

Keith

Likewise Keith enjoyed the crack and the weather,see you next time at Devils Bridge if you order that BM :lol:

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

A little bit of a lie in today, because I'm not doing any boot fairs, I'm off to the Royal Bath and West Showground for the last day of a massive antique and collectors fair. I like going on the the last day. Dealers are either getting fed up, and wanting to get home, so the more they sell the less they have to pack up and take home. Or they have sold bugger all over the weekend and need to sell something just to cover their costs for the weekend. Either way, Sunday is the day for bargains.

Now I've said that, I'll probably find nothing of interest but, hey hoy, you never know. :)  

good luck mate:)  

Some good bargains today from first boot sale, no silver or gold ..Very much a sports theme here..

So saw this bloody HUGE bag, asked what was in it and she said hockey stuff, had a quick look but didn't ask too much, just how much she wanted, she wanted £20 for the lot, i said would she take a tenner and she agreed. Not sure how much of a market there is for ice hockey gear in the UK but regardless I reckon this will get 30-50 easy. 

Next to it was another bag, asked what was in it and she said archery bits, asked if she had a bow and she did hidden in the car because she wasn't sure if she was allowed to sell it, turns out it was a browning compound bow, i ask would she take £25 for both the archery stuff and hockey gear, she laughs at me and says no, i up to £30 and she accepted. Funny how someone laughs at you like your crazy at 25 yet add another five and they accept lol..I think resell on the bow and all the equipment could well be £80 - 100 Someone asked me if i wanted to sell it moments after i bought it but i never sell without research first.

Of to another sale soon but I never get much there. So far great day, not my usual stuff but deffo bargains.

Well done. I have friends who used to play professional ice hockey in Scotland. For the Fife Flyers. I know their kit cost a small fortune. There are actually loads of people playing Ice Hockey in the UK. Wherever their is an ice rink, I can guarantee the local area will have an ice hockey club. 

Cheers mate, thats good to know:) We used to have an ice rink here but its long gone, might have to split it down and sell on the bay, actually might just sell as a joblot, postage would be a killer on most of these bits I think. 

Hope you get some last min bargains at the antique fair, prices this way are mostly ludicrous but there's one guy who let maples go for £17 each quite some time ago when spot was higher. 

Ok, So I'm back and I've done not too bad.

First I got three "Milestones of the Millenium" .999 1 oz silver rounds. for the great price of £48. £16 each. (That brings my pure silver bullion average down a little bit)

I then picked up a .925 28.28g 1972 Royal Wedding Crown for £14

Next a Cook Islands .925  27.4g with copper inlay, Trafalgar $1 coin, (5000 mintage figs) for £17, case and COA

Another Silver proof .925 28.28g Silver Jubilee with case for £17

and the buy of the day a plain,Sterling Silver Napkin ring, Hallmarks London 1930 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd, for only £12. The reason it was a bargain, well it weighs a hefty 31.9 g. It's what caught my attention when I picked it up.

All told, I got 6.44 oz t for £108, which is only  £16.77 an oz t. Which I think is not a bad days showing. 

As I said, Sundays on a three day antiques fairs can throw up some decent prices.

post-140-0-62200100-1404659428.jpg

Great result there mate! They cant be making much there really and i know the pitch prices are loads!

At my second sale i got a 9ct ring 1.1 grams for £6.50 ,small stone weight in with that though,and a case full of warhammer figures for a tenner few unpainted estimate resale 30+

post-117-0-06678700-1404667348_thumb.jpg

Todays dud buy was a playstation 2 with 18 games for a tenner..stupidly didnt check the games and all but one were scratched to bits, system didn't work and cex cant take the controller so that was ten wasted there.

Here's the spoon I got for £8. (About 1.6 toz) Surprisingly low price as the guy who sold it is a regular and knows all about PMs. Also picked up some just in case SHTF equipment - original leatherman, portable stove and Russian doll pan/cup set - £1 each for a total of £11

7usuvyga.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived