• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ordering while on holiday in the states - advice needed

Bowie

In 2 weeks I'm off to Florida for 2 weeks. I'm tempted to take advantage of the better prices over there and possibly do an online order to get delivered to the villa.

I've never had to deal with US postal services before so just any tips/advice would be helpful.

If in Orlando there is a good coin shop I have used in the past - http://www.orlandocoinexchange.com

I bought mainly used Eagles and some proofs but I also got them to order a tube of new Eagles at a price that beat Apmex.
As I was staying in the area waiting a day or two wasn't a problem.

If you see any blackened or heavily toned silver coins they can dip them in cleaner solution that takes about 5 seconds to restore to perfect silver colour.
I know some stackers would raise their eyebrows on cleaning but a coin that looks as if it came out of a bonfire is awful.

Just keep in mind the VAT threat on returning to the UK as prices are so tempting you can get carried away.

From memory, the max allowance of goods that can be brought into the UK from outside the EU without paying VAT/duty (not including specifically separate things like booze and fags) is £390.  Check it out on the gov uk website.  Not tried it with coins but you can quite legitimately argue that they are collectables and are a good just like anything else you could have bought abroad and as long as your total suitcase does not add up in value above that number it should be fine.  You do have to consider the value of other new items in your case if you went clothes shopping as well for example.

If you're staying in a hotel, many hotels in the states have a mail room and will allow you to send parcels there.  I've done that before with car parts which was very handy.  You could always give the hotel or resort a call in advance and check their policy.  That would allow you to order shortly before leaving the UK just to be sure they arrived in time etc.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Archived