• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SBSS! What do you think?

StackemHigh

I would guess I am in the minority but I don't care much for them. In some ways I think they are a fairly cynical way to exploit those who choose to stack silver. If the SSBS rounds were the same price as an identical size ingot from respected refiners like JM or Scottsdale, then I would consider them. As it is I think they are overpriced, and not pretty enough to justify the premium.

No doubt they could have some limited collector value, but I don't wish to gamble on it.

Shot themselves in the foot with hundreds of options and different coins. I think the original SBSS Chris Duyer and whatever he other bloke was called...??? forgot... any way - that stuff I think is holding it's value and will continue to do so. The current SB stuff is just more interesting bullion in my mind. I love the designs, but I don't see them being hugely collectable going forward.

Personally I like some of the designs, the freedom girl is one of my favourite coins along with the debt and death and slave queen, but I feel they've lost some credibility over the last year or so with the fake mules and making more debt and death coins after the original run, I think there will always be some demand for them but not as much as they could've had, they just got too greedy and treated the silver community like fools which we definitely are not.

I too like the Freedom Girl but am not going to collect them as like you @SS I think they are overpriced for what they are will they command a premium in the future, well time will tell!!!

I have the 5 oz proof and a very nice coin it is.

I will collect them but I won't pay the premium for the older rounds.  For the new stuff (and Silver Shield Collection), I expect them to land around the £20 mark.

I've followed the SBSS from the begining including

the drama with Rob Gray (Mulligan Mint) etc...

I believe in Chris Duane and think he has big plans for the future.

He started the Silver Shield Xchange http://silvershieldxchange.com (an Ebay alternative just for silver/gold/coins/bars, etc...) where I regularly purchase silver.

I have all the original regular Silver Bullet Silver Shield rounds (I don't bother with proof) and have most of the new Silver Shield rounds.

I've followed the SBSS from the begining including

the drama with Rob Gray (Mulligan Mint) etc...

I believe in Chris Duane and think he has big plans for the future.

He started the Silver Shield Xchange http://silvershieldxchange.com (an Ebay alternative just for silver/gold/coins/bars, etc...) where I regularly purchase silver.

I have all the original regular Silver Bullet Silver Shield rounds (I don't bother with proof) and have most of the new Silver Shield rounds.

Hi tael.

What is it that you think that Chris Duane can give to the Bullion and BU, proof Markets around the world that is unique?

Choice is great but with all the publicity and frequency of rounds i have started to wonder what is the point to SBSS?

To me it is just choice there is just so many other products on the market that get my attention first and "Why SBSS?"

I prefer SGB by design and ASE, Brits, Noahs ark and Bars for price. Morgans for a sense of history!

I guess i just see another silver round when i look at SBSS products.

Chris Duanes products don't inspire me to "Hit the Button" and buy.

Something in the future will and i will buy, but until then i just don't see it.

Hi tael.

What is it that you think that Chris Duane can give to the Bullion and BU, proof Markets around the world that is unique?

Choice is great but with all the publicity and frequency of rounds i have started to wonder what is the point to SBSS?

To me it is just choice there is just so many other products on the market that get my attention first and "Why SBSS?"

I prefer SGB by design and ASE, Brits, Noahs ark and Bars for price. Morgans for a sense of history!

I guess i just see another silver round when i look at SBSS products.

Chris Duanes products don't inspire me to "Hit the Button" and buy.

Something in the future will and i will buy, but until then i just don't see it.

Excellent question!!

I don't see the value in a bunch of different rounds no matter what the design.

I see value in an individual (Chris Duane) with a message, passion, and enough business sense to to promote it sucessfully.

I watched, "The Greatest Truth Never Told" documentary and picked up a few initial releases when he moved on to producing silver rounds, but what really sold me was his ability to move ahead and go beyond all the drama with Rob Gray and the Mulligan Mint. I followed what happened closely and clearly saw who was the theif and victim and how his SBSS brand was corrupted.

He relaunched under the "Silver Shield" name for rounds and launched the "Silver Shield Xchange".

I believe this is only the start and he has much more in mind for his brand and the silver community.

For me it's like betting on a proven winner, when you have identified a "Seabiscuit" you already know who wins the race...

Place your bet accordingly ;)

• 1 month later...

I have been essentially more of a bullion  silver stacker, but have to admit that I did pick up some of the D-Day Silver Proof  1 oz rounds ~ 1 month ago. Twenty five to be exact. They are gorgeous coins, and caught my imagination as a reminder of when I back-packed Europe after college, and the Normandy Landing beaches was one of my first stops. I figure I will give perhaps five away (to my father , brother and friends as gifts) and keep the others. They only minted 1557 which is fairly decent; although admittedly the market for this sort of niche product is not likely that great. My only wish is that the coin was perhaps larger so one could appreciate the detail of the engraving (ie, as it is displayed using the magnifier on their website).  

I also picked up 4 tubes of the Liberty or Death 1 oz rounds, simply for their "coolness  factor". I think they are prettty cool anyhow. Below I've pasted the proof version of both.  

Liberty%20or%20Death%20-%20PROOF%20-%20SSDB000001-D-DAY-HEROS-obvA2b_0.jpg?itok=

These purchases recently got me hooked on collecting some semi-numismatic 1 kilo coins, and I fear I might become addicted and be distracted from my primary purpose of stacking silver bullion. But their size and weight make them magnificant to behold. I purchased a Silver Proof-like 1 kilo  2013 Libertad (mintage of only 400!) from APMEX , and a Perth mint Lunar Series II 2013 Year of the Snake 1 kilo Silver proof (mintage of 500) from Talisman coins (awaiting that one in the mail).

Cheers, Luker

77787_Slab.jpg?v=20130905093328&width=90

• 2 weeks later...

Last month I received 25 1-oz silver proof rounds from SD Bullion, the first series of the Heroes War Collection., which commemorates the D-Day landings. Specifically 1,557 Proof 1 oz Coins honor 1 of the 1,557 MIA Americans . Each one comes with an individualized C.O.A. in honour of each individual soldier.
Unfortunately my photos do not do the coins justice. (I am new to this and using a $100 dollar digital camera, and have a lot of difficulty with the light reflecting off of the coins mirror-like finish (If I shoot too close, one sees the reflection of the camera on the coin surface...if I back up the resolution suffers...any suggestions appreciated ).

I've displayed just 23 as I gifted one each to my brother and father and will likely gift a few more.

Cheers,
Luker

post-207-0-66202800-1407695818_thumb.jpgpost-207-0-68134100-1407695832_thumb.jpgpost-207-0-83235000-1407695841_thumb.jpgpost-207-0-28010800-1407695853_thumb.jpgpost-207-0-65237700-1407695862_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

raresilverstrikes is well known on the Silver Shield Group as Silvertooth. No way he is selling counterfeits. I've bought from him a half dozen times and they always come with COAs.

I actually think the older SS stuff will be less collectible than the new stuff. As mentioned above SS was originally Chris Duane and another guy. The other guy was a bit of a con man. At this time they were putting out multiple different runs of the same item that totalled thousands. Now it's just Chris Duane he has stated that he won't do more than one run of an item and the proofs of each are only available for a matter of days. Some of the recent stuff are produced in quantities as low as 350 to 370, though typically they are 600 to 700 up to 1000 or so.

Every item produced by the old SS/SB and the new SS under Chris Duane is recorded on the following site :  http://www.silvershieldguide.com/

27 minutes ago, jacksj1 said:

raresilverstrikes is well known on the Silver Shield Group as Silvertooth. No way he is selling counterfeits. I've bought from him a half dozen times and they always come with COAs.

I actually think the older SS stuff will be less collectible than the new stuff. As mentioned above SS was originally Chris Duane and another guy. The other guy was a bit of a con man. At this time they were putting out multiple different runs of the same item that totalled thousands. Now it's just Chris Duane he has stated that he won't do more than one run of an item and the proofs of each are only available for a matter of days. Some of the recent stuff are produced in quantities as low as 350 to 370, though typically they are 600 to 700 up to 1000 or so.

Every item produced by the old SS/SB and the new SS under Chris Duane is recorded on the following site :  http://www.silvershieldguide.com/

Thanks for replying. The reason I asked is that he has listed several of the same coin with the same proof certification number, instead of taking individual photos of the coin that you will purchase. Also one feedback said "cheap fake"  but gave positive stars.As these coins are not cheap I want to make sure. I've emailed him and am awaiting his reply. I've also looked at his personal purchase's and he has bought kombucha which is mainly a Chinese tea drink. To me Chinese screams fake.   Not profiling... but it's the ebay after all. Thanks for the link will check it out.

No need to worry about the kombucha - Dave is into Yoga / health foods / foraging and has even done youtube videos on Scoby.  I trust him enough to pay him paypal f&f and he's never let me down. He holds some challenging views but I trust him through and through - this is him on youtube including plenty of SS delivery unboxing :

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrEnglishful/videos

I've bought multiple copies of Yin Yang (beautiful btw) from him and the COAs are all different numbers.

I like the sbss Freedom girl coin and picked up a few in both silver and copper.  The silver is nice but the copper ones are really pretty.  The details show up a bit better because the copper has a slight glittery toning which really shows up the contrast in the designs.  I see the sbss as just being generic rounds that weren't particularly expensive.  I also picked up a couple of sbss proofs.  Merry consumerism, Legaliser nature and Slave queen.  They all look awesome.

Off topic slightly but still generic rounds, I bought a few of the silverbug island and kraken proofs and they're really cute.  I really like the first two in the series and also picked up an antiqued one of each.  The antiqued silverbug island and kraken coins are magnificent I have to say.  Bit of a waste of money perhaps but whenever I do my annual dig out of the stash to show my boy, those are the coins he stops at and studies in detail.  I guess it's because they have the wonder of a treasure chest and pirate ship portrayed on them.  The bullion coins I have are rather boring by comparison.  There just doesn't seem to be enough relief in a lot of bullion coins to make them nice to look at.

The final round that I really like is Gwen the good luck fairy.  I gave one to my ex a couple of years ago and she absolutely loved it.  I have to say that it's rather eye catching and I guess it's the feminine fairies magic and beauty thing that this coin appeals to.  Combined with "good luck and fortune for all who possess this coin" it certainly puts a smile on the face.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

2 hours ago, silversky said:

I like the sbss Freedom girl coin and picked up a few in both silver and copper.  The silver is nice but the copper ones are really pretty.  The details show up a bit better because the copper has a slight glittery toning which really shows up the contrast in the designs.  I see the sbss as just being generic rounds that weren't particularly expensive.  I also picked up a couple of sbss proofs.  Merry consumerism, Legaliser nature and Slave queen.  They all look awesome.

Off topic slightly but still generic rounds, I bought a few of the silverbug island and kraken proofs and they're really cute.  I really like the first two in the series and also picked up an antiqued one of each.  The antiqued silverbug island and kraken coins are magnificent I have to say.  Bit of a waste of money perhaps but whenever I do my annual dig out of the stash to show my boy, those are the coins he stops at and studies in detail.  I guess it's because they have the wonder of a treasure chest and pirate ship portrayed on them.  The bullion coins I have are rather boring by comparison.  There just doesn't seem to be enough relief in a lot of bullion coins to make them nice to look at.

The final round that I really like is Gwen the good luck fairy.  I gave one to my ex a couple of years ago and she absolutely loved it.  I have to say that it's rather eye catching and I guess it's the feminine fairies magic and beauty thing that this coin appeals to.  Combined with "good luck and fortune for all who possess this coin" it certainly puts a smile on the face.

Agree on the silver bug. The kraken is eye catching, I can see why your bairn likes this piece.

3 hours ago, jacksj1 said:

No need to worry about the kombucha - Dave is into Yoga / health foods / foraging and has even done youtube videos on Scoby.  I trust him enough to pay him paypal f&f and he's never let me down. He holds some challenging views but I trust him through and through - this is him on youtube including plenty of SS delivery unboxing :

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrEnglishful/videos

I've bought multiple copies of Yin Yang (beautiful btw) from him and the COAs are all different numbers.

Dave has now e-mailed me back and as you say is a genuine guy. His lifestyle does make sense with the Scoby.  I'd make a rubbish police detective everyone would be guilty. LOL. 

Archived