• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First Spouse Gold coins - anybody got one?

richo

Hi,

Dont suppose anybody has ever bought a coin from the endlessly running US First Spouse series? Apparently it's been a bit of a dog of a seller for the US Mint, with some of the coins been amongst the lowest minted gold coins in several hundred years, only circa 2k per coin of some of the less popular ones, which does make me wonder if in years to come some will be rather sort after.

Anyway, what I am getting round to, is I always fancied getting the Jackie Kennedy when it came out as I think as more JKF coins are produced, this will be sort after one day, not to mention I rather like Mrs Kennedy, and she was rather beautiful too. 

Just be interested to hear if anybody has ever bought or handled one of these coins to get their opinion, as am on the fence about getting one, but I need to act reasonably quickly as new sets are harder to find as they all seem to be in the graded slabs in the US, and the mint is pulling the plug soon.

Would cost me at least £680 for 1/2 Oz gold. So a good £170 premium at least.

rich

I picked up a Eleanor Roosevelt recently via AMPEX and when I needed to pad out an order. This was a proof, but did not come in a box and potentially this was sent for grading and came back a sub PF68.

You may want to check AMPEX over the US Mint as today they are still offering this at around about 10% plus of spot. Even on boxed and COA coins they appear to be well cheaper than the mint 

Cheers!

http://www.apmex.com/product/42641/1-2-oz-gold-first-spouse-coins-bu-pr-random-year

Thank you, that's really useful info. So you bought one blind? Or did you know the coin before ordering. 

Yes agreed I think it seems loads of these got graded, and the lower grade ones are returns in that Apmex pile!

Yes - totally blind.  I was happy that I just didn't get Mrs Ronnie R.  LOL - For those of us of a particular age, the Spitting Image puppet of her will be forever engraved on our psyche and regardless of any numismatic wizardry the mental picture of her will never change . :)

Also to note is as they say, this could be either PR or BU.

Also Ampex are not the cheapest shipper so please take this into account 

Cut a long story short I work in the Middle East and where personnel importation limits mean that unless you are buying in the tens of thousands you don't get hit for duty or tax. Ampex offer free domestic delivery and I have this sent to a freight forwarding company i use in  Florida. They in turn send on to me via DHL. I simply bring the coins back to the UK with me 

Have a look at previous threads on this board relating to  importation and tax. Yes it is is a minefield, and as you say gold 'should' be exempt, but if the wrong C&E coding is used you could get hit. Bit of a roulette I'm afraid.

Archived