• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should i get it graded??

stevelo1973

Hi everyone, i need some advice. I have a 6 coin set of 2014 proof britannia's and i want to know your thoughts on getting it/them graded. In my very humble opinion they are perfect, i have looked under a microscope and find not scratches or marks anywhere. The coa is low 100's and is in perfect condition in everyway. Problem is that if i grade the 1oz would that render the rest of the set worth next to nothing? Or would it still be considered a set but the 1oz graded?  Whats your thoughts on grading this coin/set? ,amy thanks for any dadvuce 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I remember having exactly the same thoughts. I saw that the one Oz was selling at a massive premium slabbed particularly at 70.

In the end I decided to sell the set and not to slab any of the coins. I remember making a good profit on the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, richo said:

What makes 2014 a premium year? Is the design considered one of the best?, or is it mintage etc?

both really. the mintage is low and from 2013 they went to 999 silver. instead of 958. the 2014 design is utterly outstanding and considered the very best looking britannia by most people and command a massive premium. a PF70 ultra cameo is selling for £600 plus at the moment for £15 worth of silver!!

Interesting. My expertise is more gold really. I would probably say get them all graded on that basis. I wouldn't normally advocate grading low value coins, but looks like this year is an exception.

It's funny how crowd consensus determines values )) usually things are sold out before they attain classic status.

I think it all depends if you are happy to take the chance, you get it graded and you get an PF70 back and between what you can sell that and the remainder of your set for you will see a big profit.  However personally I do believe the stories about grading companies being under instruction to only allow so many PF70 or MS70 coins through that there is more than a fair chance you will get an PF69 back.

Just now, stevelo1973 said:

Nope nope

I'm certain it was a 1 oz 2014 because I was trying to find the prices of 5 oz 201 and I thought "oh that went very cheap" before I realised it said 1 oz 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 minute ago, Kman said:

Nope nope

I'm certain it was a 1 oz 2014 because I was trying to find the prices of 5 oz 201 and I thought "oh that went very cheap" before I realised it said 1 oz 

that would of been a fantastic price indeed. i was looking for ages and i ended up with 2 6 coin sets within 24 hours!!!

That price is achievable in the USA for a 70 as but there is something of a fashion to these things and just because one sells at that price it doesn't mean there is a steady stream of buyers also willing to pay the same price

• 4 weeks later...

I sold mine a couple of months ago.  I think the 1/2 oz (maybe 1/4) had a scuff mark on the coin itself.  I should have checked closely when I originally got it as I had to take a hit when selling.  Managed to sell it outside of eBay for £340 and in perfect condition I probably could have achieved £400.  I did list it on eBay for £400 and within a couple of hours I had 2 people interested and happy to pay the £340 (£400 less fees).

I think it'll cost a little over £100 to grade all 5 with postage costs (guessing).  $1200 / 1.3 *.85 = £785.  Possibly £200-300 more if you achieved 70s and the buyers were happy to use the GSP.  I personally would not want to ship it direct and have all liabilities fall onto myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to read this thread - wish I had found it earlier actually...but I definitely agree that the design drives the appreciation for this proof coin. 

Welcome everyone's view on whether I overpaid or not - but the PF70 slabbed 2014 1 ounce proof I just won this week cost me $235 which is around £175. COA number 91. 

I think I got a modest bargain - looking at other ones up for sale today. Would definitely love a 5 ounce to go alongside ? But that may be up into a serious price range where I could get a chunk of gold for the same $$!  

Anyways - my question to the proof Britannia buffs - what would be the "next best design" to look for beyond the 2014? I am open to suggestions , now that I have one I feel compelled to get more 2014s or another year! 

12 hours ago, Lindeman said:

Welcome everyone's view on whether I overpaid or not - but the PF70 slabbed 2014 1 ounce proof I just won this week cost me $235 which is around £175. COA number 91.

That seems like a very good deal and way under what I would have expected, I would have thought maybe £250-300

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Archived