• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2016 2-Coin Silver 1 oz Britannia Proof/Reverse Proof Set

morezone

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

So what does scream winner to you. Silver is out due to premium and spotting risk so that leaves gold and platinum or maybe copper and brass. I would be interested to hear what you do think of as a winner )) I could do with some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, apologies I didn't mean to sound dismissive of people who have bought. If you like it that's the main thing. And, 2016 is an interesting year with Brexit. The premium is just so incredibly high though.

I am buying a mixture of stuff and yes of course I'll pick losers for sure. Some fractional gold bullion up to 1/4s, some gold semi nums, full nums with bigger premiums too. Most recently some 2016 NZ post Kiwi eggs. The gold one probably had a 45% premium, so a gamble, but I just liked it, and as I said that's the main thing. I have some silver, not much though.

Recent screaming winner? Of course it's difficult. Only one that really springs to mind was probably the RAM Ursa Major 1oz silver coin at £70 rrp. I bought a few and do have a spare for trade. Beautiful coin.

Queens Beast proofs could be good dependant on mintage of course.

It does seem to be an issue with quality control for sure by The Royal Mint. The Royal Canadian Mint has the same problems and I have seen some complaints about recent Perth Mint coins too, Kooks and Kangeroos were mentionedI believe as well as some recent Russian St George coins with spotting. It does seem to be a worldwide issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Silverbugs/comments/3oijp3/2016_kangaroos_heavy_spotting/

Is spotting and milk spotting a relatively new phenomenon? Or is it as old as time? I just don't remember reading about it as much a few years back, but granted my interest in coins was much looser back then.

On 7/22/2016 at 23:16, Oldun said:

71 left out of the 500 and cc/pp price of 291usd

33 now

and now back up to 74 as of 26 july

and as of July 29th at 54 remaining (cc paypal price $291/check/wire $280 then add shipping)

and up to 75 now as of posting....

6 minutes ago, GoldenAtlantis said:

I decided to pull the trigger on these because I love Britannias and I think this design is great.

Don't ask how much I paid... hopefully there won't be any customs duty when they arrive.

But the coins and the display box look amazing...

Is buying from Apmex easy? I need to order something, not this set, another coin, but looks like PayPal isn't an option for UK buyers?

Just now, richo said:

Is buying from Apmex easy? I need to order something, not this set, another coin, but looks like PayPal isn't an option for UK buyers?

I was expecting to be able to use PayPal, so was surprised when the option wasn't available on the payment screen. However there was an option to pay by credit card, so I did that and it seemed to go through ok.

Bought from Apmex many times. I usually pay via PayPal. All times apart from once my delivery has been to US address with free of charge delivery.

People here should look at Arshi's post in "Today I received". 2016 silver proof Brits, sending them back because they turned up with spotting.

How they can charge such a premium with these known issues I have no idea. People just can't invest in modern coins until the process that causes this is addressed. As most others I have coins from the 90s that are still mint

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

On 7/29/2016 at 22:14, Oldun said:

The problem is extremely difficult to isolate -if you read though the link I provided, it tells the story of The Perth Mint's efforts. It's not as easy as some think to solve the issue. For proofs, they should always be trying to eliminate any issues, of course. You may find that they return to sterling or Britannia 958 Silver, (which would then make this issue, even with milk spots, even more valuable down the road - numismatics is a constantly changing thing, like the weather).

If the mintages were higher, I wouldn't bother taking the risk but the design, the tiny mintage (500) of the reverse along with it being a first of its kind ever, the year of Brexit, the new fifth portrait, the queen's 90th, with the 3 coin gold set (miniscule mintage of 70 hedging any issues with the silver sets ) make it worth it in my book.

If I were considering just the 1oz proof, I might have reservations as the mintages are higher but I am not and I have bought the gold 3 coin set as well as the 6 coin silver proof set with extremely low mintages on the fractional coins contained within.

'It also happens to be the year The UK voted to leave The EU, so it also has some "marker" interest.'

@Oldun

interesting point on the vote. I think it holds some merit. Do you think the year of the vote, or the year of leaving is most relevant? I would probably say the former, but the latter could be important too, if indeed we ever fully leave given the legal challenge ready to be heard mid October and supported by a frightening array of legal talent trying to force it in to parliament...

I don't think it has any merit in terms of numismatic value but it is an interesting side note as we get further away from the event. That is all.

We have our own currency and have retained the right to produce it as and when we wish - that is a hugely important factor in retaining sovereignty - just ask Greece how they feel about it. But that is a different conversation.

We are currently in a very interesting time in numismatic coin production.  From what I see in the USA,  the major coin dealers are striking deals with the mints of the world to produce all these special variation coins for the market.  

Numismatic used to mean coins that were legal circulating money, i.e. Coinage that actually contained gold and silver that people used to trade.

Today numismatic means all gold and silver coins never intended to be circulated.  

If you browse the various USA bullion dealer websites you will see Canadian maple leaf bullion coins with privi's of Bigfoot, e=mc^2,etc. If you have privi's for everything, does any individual one stand out.

Let's ask the question then why were there only 500 reverse proof minted?  Was this just because that is how many sets Apmex wanted to sell?  And what is then stopping another bullion company from striking a deal with the mint to make the same coin.  

Since we have this dynamic market where the mints in order to make money will create coins for anyone with enough money to pay for the special designs etc., will these special coins loose there appeal to the collecting public as the years go on.

Only time will tell, anyway I picked up a set just in case since I think they are amazingly nice coins.

It's not just coin dealers it's bullion Ira's and it seems to be in USA only at the moment.

In some way it indicates a loss of integrity by the mints but in other ways the major dealers are on top of what they can sell.

I would be amazed of this set was not a winner and even if it isn't it's very nice. It's half the cost of the Libertad set and that had 1500 mintage reverse proofs.

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

Numismatic used to mean coins that were legal circulating money, i.e. Coinage that actually contained gold and silver that people used to trade.

Today numismatic means all gold and silver coins never intended to be circulated. 

In essence you are correct but the definition of Numismatic has always included "coins, tokens, paper money, medals and related objects".

In the past the only items fitting this will have been circulating money and medals but mints have always produced proof/specimen coins specifically for collectors and never intended for circulation.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 5 months later...

Finally I decided to buy a set. Apmex still has the set. Although quite expensive and nearly no value increasing the last half year, but I saw them in real and they are beautiful. It seems that the interest for the first reverse proof Britannia is not that big. People are complaining about the quality and from the PCGS database not many pieces achieved a 70 grade. A friend can offer me a graded set. Someone knows a realistic price for a graded 70 set except the ridiculous ebay price? Thanks.

Archived