• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2016 2-Coin Silver 1 oz Britannia Proof/Reverse Proof Set

morezone

Product Details

The Royal Mint has partnered with APMEX to produce just 500 of these unique two-coin sets featuring its most iconic design. This beautiful APMEXclusive® set contains two 2016 Silver Britannia coins in both Proof and Reverse Proof finishes. The unique Reverse Proof Silver Britannia is only available in this set, giving it a mintage of just 500 coins!

Set Highlights:

• Extremely limited mintage of 500 sets. 
  • Each coin contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver for a total of 2 oz of Silver. 
  • The 1 oz Silver Reverse Proof Britannia coin is an APMEXclusive® available only in this set. 
  • This is the first Proof/Reverse Proof Britannia set issued from The Royal Mint. 
  • Comes housed in a wooden box that features both The Royal Mint and APMEX logos. Includes a certificate of authenticity. 
  • Obverse: Displays the fifth effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds. 
  • Reverse: Features the iconic Britannia holding a shield and trident as she gazes over the sea, a watchful lion by her side. 
  • Sovereign coins backed by the British government.

$229 - £173.14 doesn't seem that much, since a normal proof Britannia is what £82.50?

^ Not sure what the cost would be with delivery to the UK though

I wonder if this will be treated as a very collectible RM rarity or as a foreign bastard 

@Numistacker how are the reverse proof Libertads treated? 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

It's the additional costs which add up. $50 delivery making it $280.  20% VAT so $336 ~ £254.  I think Apmex ship via Fedex so another £12 customs clearance fee giving a landed price of £266.

It was $250 an hour ago and will go higher. Libertad reverse proof had 1500 minted this has 500. Libertad 2 coin set has held value at $500 roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$229 - £173.14 doesn't seem that much, since a normal proof Britannia is what £82.50?

^ Not sure what the cost would be with delivery to the UK though

I wonder if this will be treated as a very collectible RM rarity or as a foreign bastard 

@Numistacker how are the reverse proof Libertads treated? 

I bought a set for delivery in the USA. It seems quite interesting and $260 inc PayPal

Delivered. Not cheap but 500 mintage is very low for a 1oz proof Britannia.

$273 with $50 shipping just now fyi for me with a final cost of $335. Got the Casa de Moneda 3 coin bank emplyee set  lib reverse proof and now this one but only because they are first-year ones. I won't be collecting reverse proof year runs unless prices come down way waaaay down the line in future, like in ten years. But it will go nicely with the 6 coin set...I am calling this lot an early bday prezzie for myself to justify the extravagance :D

Already up to $281 cc/pp

71 left out of the 500 and cc/pp price of 291usd

33 now

and now back up to 74 as of 26 july

and as of July 29th at 54 remaining (cc paypal price $291/check/wire $280 then add shipping)

Mr Vegita has a video out on this and it looks great. Puts other limited mintage silver Britannias into perspective. 500 of these babies.. Not 175,000 like the rare privies... Not 10,000 like the rare plain fields... Only 500.

Apmex has them at $279.00 and a bit extra for PayPal.

I'd love one of these sets, but at £322 including shipping and import taxes, I can't push the button.

If you want one let me know and I will order it and bring it back for you in late August at the Apmex PayPal rate.

I just don't see the resale though, also how often do you look at a similar set from 5 years ago and feel you must own it? There are tons and tons of silver proofs on ebay that i never even look twice at

I get that mintages pull people in, thats why they do it of course, but 750% markup is just far too much for a "nice" (and that's a matter of opinion too :)) modern coin, isn't it?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

I just don't see the resale though, also how often do you look at a similar set from 5 years ago and feel you must own it? There are tons and tons of silver proofs on ebay that i never even look twice at

I get that mintages pull people in, thats why they do it of course, but 750% markup is just far too much for a "nice" (and that's a matter of opinion too :)) modern coin, isn't it?

I see your point, but the Britannia is an extremely popular series.

People are paying £50+ for BU on eBay lately, I know because I sold a load.

A 500 mintage coin may do very well. People pay £150 for the 1997 proof alone and there are far more of those.

If you want one let me know and I will order it and bring it back for you in late August at the Apmex PayPal rate.

That's a really kind offer NS, thanks.

I think I'd like to get the reverse proof graded also, if that would be possible?

Stacker since 2013

I think that's an argument for never buying Silver proofs at all at almost any price. However I detect a growing band of USA based britannia collectors. There are said to be 1.5m USA coin collectors.

How much of a jump in interest do we need for our lovely britannia coins to starve out the market? 20%?

How many gold Libertad proofs do you see available? Apmex used to stock tons of all years... Now not one at a reasonable price and almost none at a high price.

Try buying a 2014 silver proof Libertad 2oz or 5oz and they had s mintage of 750 and 800 respectively.

Hey don't get me wrong i'm a collector myself or i wouldn't be here :). I just feel that everything has its limits and for me 750% is absurd for something so young

I'm a huge britannia fan, but for now i'll stick on the sane collecting side of the fence and not jump into silver proofs, gold on the other hand for 10% over, nom nom :)

disclaimer: if they RM gave a no milk spot 10 year guarantee I would maybe adjust my views, however the risk on investment is too great otherwise

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

I just don't see the resale though, also how often do you look at a similar set from 5 years ago and feel you must own it? There are tons and tons of silver proofs on ebay that i never even look twice at I get that mintages pull people in, thats why they do it of course, but 750% markup is just far too much for a "nice" (and that's a matter of opinion too [emoji4]) modern coin, isn't it?

I see your point, but the Britannia is an extremely popular series.

People are paying £50+ for BU on eBay lately, I know because I sold a load.

A 500 mintage coin may do very well. People pay £150 for the 1997 proof alone and there are far more of those.

That's a really kind offer NS, thanks.

I think I'd like to get the reverse proof graded also, if that would be possible?

It might take a couple of months for the whole process but yes. Pm me

Doesn't scream winner to me by a long shot. Huge premium and risk of milk spotting means the seesaw of risk is tipped all to one side. 

So what does scream winner to you. Silver is out due to premium and spotting risk so that leaves gold and platinum or maybe copper and brass. I would be interested to hear what you do think of as a winner )) I could do with some cash.

I will be receiving the reverse 2 coin, the single proof boxed and the 6 coin proof set all in silver along with the 70 only  gold 3 coin proof box set.......I am all in with this particular year as I think it worth paying for and the 500 mintage along with the reverse being a first of its type and increasing overseas interest and it is worth it in my book. I also bought the Libertad bank employees 3 coin reverse proof set  for the same reasons. 

It also happens to be the year The UK voted to leave The EU, so it also has some "marker" interest.

By all means manage your own risk but please dont immediately assume people you are talking to dont or have not considered carefully what they are doing and why and the up or downsides involved (in some cases, people are, horror of horrors, straight collectors and do not care about the risk;)) There are some very wise heads on this forum with a variety of approaches, just as you have your own approach.

I, like numis, would be fascinated to hear what you collect/stack by the way for any hints if you are willing to share ;)

As an afterthought, wouldnt it be funny if spotted coins down the road became desirable as proof of not being a fake or some such thing...stranger things have happened....

Archived