• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Log Book

tael

A previous post asked about the most expensive silver bullion purchase, so I pulled out my silver log book and had the answer in seconds.

Does everyone here keep a log of the coins they purchase?

If so what type of record do you have? (paper, electronic, book, spreadsheet, photos, etc...)

I use a composition book, the kind I used in elementary school.

I record the following info...

Purchase Date

Quantity

Size (ounces, grams, etc...)

Description

Business or Person I purchased from

Cost

How do you keep track of you stack?

• Founder & Administrator

A similar topic to one that has already been discussed. I have uploaded a copy of my excel document as a template in that topic somewhere on the forum. But not to worry :)

I keep a record in excel. Purchase date, quantity, unit price excluding delivery, total price including delivery & VAT, ounces.

I have different sections for silver bullion, gold bullion, silver numismatics and silver semi numismatics. And the totals for each.

A grand total, and also the melt value based on current spot price. I also have a column for estimated value, but I tend to just leave this the same as the purchase price (excluding vat and delivery)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Spreadsheet, with columns for every type of different bullion coin, plus coins of different silver content done on content alone, ie, .925, .900, .833 .500 etc.  with Date, Oz's, Cost (inc delivery), Current Value, Profit and Loss in pounds, Profit and Loss in percentage. (Both based on spot price which I change every week. Total amount of oz's, average oz cost of bullion, average oz cost of other silver. Plus total columns for everything together. Also have a column for cost of capsules, coin holders, albums boxes etc, as these are all costs in housing my stack. 

I have a simple spreadsheet and inventory list with purchase dates, cost, weights, and metal type. The sheet totals my holdings, spending, and cost per ounce. I also keep my receipts and invoices but not sure whether this is more of a security risk. They may go in a fireproof safe, or I may shred them.

I have a simple spreadsheet and inventory list with purchase dates, cost, weights, and metal type. The sheet totals my holdings, spending, and cost per ounce. I also keep my receipts and invoices but not sure whether this is more of a security risk. They may go in a fireproof safe, or I may shred them.

I keep my receipts in my work locker. A bit of a security risk but better than having them at home.

No records of any kind, I know what I got and I likes what I got. That's all that matters ;)

I like your style! lol Unfortunately my old grey matter has been bombarded with much matter of other colours, and my memory is not what it was! :blink:  So I keep a spread sheet just as an aid memoir - I tot up totals and calculate averages just because I am a nerd and I can lol

A similar topic to one that has already been discussed.

Remember I'm a yankee... you can't expect someone from the land of the "FORMER" World Reserve Currency to actually go back and research, I'd rather be given a microwave in trade for just a few of my Petro Federal Reserve Notes.  :P  

Don't even get all up in arms over my comment, because you Europeans own the federal Reserve ;)

Ha! Ha! Ha! it's all in fun :D

• Founder & Administrator

Topic moved from non precious metals to general precious metals, as the topic is related to precious metals :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Actually I tell a lie, I have an old exercise book from secondary school which i've written down every date/mint of Morgan and their associated mintage numbers, which I highlight through once i've bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just done a basic spreadsheet with separate tabs for silver and gold which are identical, and a third for my US/antique coins which is more of a record than a calculator. The totals at the side update when you add a new entry. I have since added a year of mint column.

I want the spot value to automatically update when I open the spreadsheet, i.e. go online and find out for me, anyone know if it's possible to do this?

post-146-0-03969900-1403184035_thumb.jpg

It's possible, using Excel 2010 select the "data" tab, and choose "from web" then when prompted, enter the web address you want to update from, then select the data source on the page (excel puts some little arrows for you to click to choose bits of the page you want to update from). You need to pick a website that displays the metal price in a table rather than a chart or some flash widget.

You're right, the starter edition does not have that functionality, but if you load a sheet someone has created in the full version, it will still update in the starter edition, provided the original user inserted the data links correctly.

I use Open Office at home, and Google Sheets at work, so I can't create one for you. Maybe one of our Excel users could put one up though. 

Open Office is free, but for sheer functionality and compatiblity you cannot beat Excel; it's just expensive.

I will have to look into whether I can get open office sheets to pull data from the web; I quite like the idea of live spot prices in my inventory list.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the good old fashioned, Microsoft Works Spreadsheet from the last century. Free, easy to use, and does exactly what it says on the tin. I use Excel for work for business stuff, but I always go back to my old spreadsheets for home stuff. Says it all really

Yeah I would never pay for Office, mine came free on the machine. I forgot about Open Office, will see if I can do it using that.

I don't understand why they keep changing the look of programs, office 2010 is a perfect example, but anything post Win XP really.

Aesthetically, 2001 was the pinnacle of home computing

Archived