• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best way to spend 5k

rebnah

I'm putting this in the Gold section because I'm leaning towards gold?

What are all your views or how would you invest 5k in PMs?

I have a lot of silver bars and coins but I sold most of my gold straight after Brexit and made a lovely gain but I'm kind of missing my gold now.

I have a amount of small gold bars left that I pick up here and there but I thought of buying some 1/10 coins, a couple of 1oz coins or bars and so on.

Just wondered would you all buy gold now?

would you wait?

should I buy more silver?

What would you do?

I think that now is a good time to pick up the more collectable gold close to spot.

There have been listings on this forum (including today) of coins near spot which would have been at least spot+20% not long ago.

There are deals out there (including on ebay and dealers) but you might have to patient.

Depends on your plans for it, and likelihood to want to sell. High denominations of course mean lower premiums, but fractional gold seems to sell like hot cakes. Put it this way, let's say gold does one day rocket up, or even double, how many people have got £2k for a one ounce coin? Not many I'll wager. But if that day arrives, fractionals will be where it's at in the market place. Am sure others will disagree, but I am preferring to slowly build up fractional coins. I doubt I will ever buy a 1 ounce gold coin. 

I would love somebody who knows about it to give me a view on platinum. A few years back you could pick up platinum versions of coins and sets quite easy, now, you are lucky if you can find a single coin amongst UK dealers, and it's rare for new sets to have platinum variants. Clearly there is a shortage for investment purposes, but the price still seems historically rather low. Unfortunately my knowledge in this area isn't great. 

You could also dip in to a few full numismatics, but the market place is busy, confusing and risky, so I would make this a very small part of your investment if you go that way. I recently bought some RAM Ursa Major 1oz silver coins and consider these to be a very sound investment. Absolutely beautiful coin and were only €80 or so each. Every time I check the price of these they seem to have gone up again. I suspect they will do rather well in terms of value. 

44 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

@richo Have you seen the Pt coin in the trade section?

Hi, arr yes thanks. Am trying to get a view as to whether taking a punt on some fractional platinum is worth it. I don't know much about the market direction. Sorry to hijack the thread!

I stated this before. If metals only get back to their previous high range, no more and no less, then silver will double and gold won't. Every time I am tempted by gold I have to remind myself of this, and then I go back to checking out the silver offerings instead. 

With the exception of Sovereigns, you will be paying a higher premium for them unless you can find deals on the secondary market.  New, expect to pay 15%.  People say that fractionals (1/4 & 1/10) fly out.  That is true but only when it is close to spot.  Stick the usual ~15% on and sales slow right down.  

If you see 1/10ths close to spot, snap them up and it's almost the same for 1/4s too.  If buying new, choose wisely as you will want to play on the premium gain rather than a rise in spot.  Offloading low premium large coins to dealers is easy.  Offloading higher premium small coins really needs to go private or eBay to keep the premium paid.

I have no idea if gold is going to go up or down but I don't buy to stack.  Everything I buy (well, almost) falls into one of my collecting categories so for me, I'm waiting but only because I need 2017 releases.

Sometimes it's like buying wines en Primeur. Many of them if you buy right will show a good return and some will turn to pure vinegar. I kept a 1997 bottle of RD Bolly for a special occasion and when I opened it it was horrible. Had I drunk it or sold it 10 years ago it would have given its all for me .... Coins are the same.. Timing is all... Buy price is all.. Like stocks don't buy unless your time horizon is 5+ years or you are a value spotting genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All due respect Rebnah, and I know I've said this to you before, but sounds to me like you need to work out a clear plan,strategy and goal for what you want to do with your money..............Just accumulate for long term investment, be a collector of Sovs, Lunars, Pandas etc, be a collector of high end Numis, whatever but sort something out sharpish and stick to it or I can see you sending good money after bad very quickly and probably start to question why you got involved in this milarky in the first place..............and a local dealer may well open up a new branch in your honour...............

2 hours ago, Ravinella said:

All due respect Rebnah, and I know I've said this to you before, but sounds to me like you need to work out a clear plan,strategy and goal for what you want to do with your money..............Just accumulate for long term investment, be a collector of Sovs, Lunars, Pandas etc, be a collector of high end Numis, whatever but sort something out sharpish and stick to it or I can see you sending good money after bad very quickly and probably start to question why you got involved in this milarky in the first place..............and a local dealer may well open up a new branch in your honour...............

All due respect, I'm asking what would people buy for 5k NOT should I buy?

I have plenty of funds and I'm stacking silver high already and I have already made a heathy profit on all my gold 1oz coins I sold just after Brexit.

I now fancy another spending splurge.

So if you was in my position would you buy more silver or more gold at this present time? Maybe a bit of both?

I like the idea of small amounts of gold at the moment but a lot of it?

I'd form a plan, strategy of what you want out of buying PMs........anybody can have made a lump post Brexit but if you dont have a plan you'll just keep floundering about asking everybody else what they'd do.........aint going to bother to say it again but if you read your own words you have no idea what your aim in PMs is....Now me for instance I'd stick the lot in brass and copper Chinese medals.......how do you feel about that????????????..........

"I like the idea of small amounts of gold at the moment but a lot of it" ok a plan, a strategy go ahead and buy 5K of 1 gram bars that'll do the trick

3 minutes ago, Ravinella said:

I'd form a plan, strategy of what you want out of buying PMs........anybody can have made a lump post Brexit but if you dont have a plan you'll just keep floundering about asking everybody else what they'd do.........aint going to bother to say it again but if you read your own words you have no idea what your aim in PMs is....Now me for instance I'd stick the lot in brass and copper Chinese medals.......how do you feel about that????????????..........

"I like the idea of small amounts of gold at the moment but a lot of it" ok a plan, a strategy go ahead and buy 5K of 1 gram bars that'll do the trick

Floundering? Copper??????

best you don't talk to me anymore pal

best you don't talk to me anymore pal .......................................seems an excellent idea to me, one of the best you have had............and if you think copper is a waste of your time that tells me all I need to know about your understanding of the commodity markets...............good luck post Brexit,say 2/3 years down the line buying and selling PMs is going to be a little more difficult then.

Oh and Final Word dont refer to someone who you dont know or have ever met as your "Pal"...its rude and ignorant.............and good luck again just gotta feeling you are going to need it...............end of..................

17 hours ago, rebnah said:

I'm putting this in the Gold section because I'm leaning towards gold?

What are all your views or how would you invest 5k in PMs?

I have a lot of silver bars and coins but I sold most of my gold straight after Brexit and made a lovely gain but I'm kind of missing my gold now.

I have a amount of small gold bars left that I pick up here and there but I thought of buying some 1/10 coins, a couple of 1oz coins or bars and so on.

Just wondered would you all buy gold now?

would you wait?

should I buy more silver?

What would you do?

I might selling a few Krugerrands tonight, around spot price probably.  *non-subtle plug over*

You seem to like Gold - and it's easier to store than silver, for the most part.  Sovereigns are very easy to buy, and to sell on.  A sovereign will be recognised in any country of the world, but will a silver Maple Leaf coin?

1 hour ago, Ravinella said:

best you don't talk to me anymore pal .......................................seems an excellent idea to me, one of the best you have had............and if you think copper is a waste of your time that tells me all I need to know about your understanding of the commodity markets...............good luck post Brexit,say 2/3 years down the line buying and selling PMs is going to be a little more difficult then.

Oh and Final Word dont refer to someone who you dont know or have ever met as your "Pal"...its rude and ignorant.............and good luck again just gotta feeling you are going to need it...............end of..................

Offensive word removed. @rehnah, please keep it civilised and read the forum rules if you haven't already done so.  Offensive language and personal attacks/name calling are not permitted.

Wowo!

That escalated quick. :ph34r:

Calm down and no more flaming!

@rebnah Ravinella was referring to some small minted coins and could mainly aimed for collectors/investors. A couple members on here collect these but are not everyone's cup of tea. Do try to appreciate other opinions, as you requested for some feedback.

I think he was referring to these:

Anyways... to stay on topic; I am still accumulating precious metals and with that budget I would get a couple silver tubes of 2016 or older kookburra's, a couple trays of silver panda's, some sovereigns, a couple of 3g or 5g gold panda's, some 1/10 or 1/4oz gold Britannia's (and ideally the 1/4 queen beast).

@Ravinella It would've been helpful for Rebnah if you'd clarified why you invest in these.

Precious metals really seem to bring out a passionate response from some.  I think we all go through the various stages of precious metal stacking and collecting. Goals are important to keep us focused and on track to accomplish something. Or you can do whatever you want.  With 5k I would start out by buying one 1/10 ounce gold coin from every country available for the current year.  By the time you are done you should have about 20 coins or  2 ounces of fractional gold.  A nice little collection that is fun to look at.  The remainder of the money I would use to buy 1 kilo silver tombstone bars. 

Good luck

Archived