• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Military coup underway in turkey - up pm's go

mr-dead

11 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

The GBP dropped 7.6% v USD immediately after the Brexit vote and declined further from that, The Turkish Lira is down only 4.6% v USD and they are having a military coup.

Makes you think who cut the deals with the Turkish military leaders to take control.

Obviously the powers above are happy with the situation

Soldiers have been enforcing a curfew and on the live feed I was watching the reporter was struggling to speak over the noise of low flying jets so it is a co-ordinated effort on the military's part. They obviously mean it.

I am not familiar with the political situation in Turkey, what led the military to take this action does anyone know what may have triggered it?

It's not looking quite so widespread as previous coups that I have read about.  Seemingly no widespread support for either the coup, or Erdogan... The next few hours will be key for the conclusion of this coup; if the Police fight the Army, the coup will be bloody and gold will rocket next week.

I've been doing what digging I can do and all the pro Globalists Media outlets are showing what you would expect from them. Going to RT.com, I saw a few clips not seen elsewhere, go figure.  I expect a spike once markets open again, unless this is all put to bed in the next 48 hours. 

11 hours ago, KDave said:

I am not familiar with the political situation in Turkey, what led the military to take this action does anyone know what may have triggered it?

Ataturk, the Father of modern Turkey introduced a Secular state, and widespread reforms to update the old Ottoman Empire. Basically, religion was to be kept out of government and there were major reforms with regards to education and civil rights for women.

All this seems to be going into reverse under Erdogan. This could have actually been a coup in favour of democracy as unusual as that sounds.

I don't know if it was staged by Erdogan as some suggest as an excuse to get rid of opponents in the military, but either way under Erdogan Turkey is on its way to being yet another Islamic (failed) State. Censorship is back and Islamic education is compulsory in all public schools.

All my own opinion of course. DYOR.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

22 minutes ago, BaldyBob said:

Ataturk, the Father of modern Turkey introduced a Secular state, and widespread reforms to update the old Ottoman Empire. Basically, religion was to be kept out of government and there were major reforms with regards to education and civil rights for women.

All this seems to be going into reverse under Erdogan. This could have actually been a coup in favour of democracy as unusual as that sounds.

I don't know if it was staged by Erdogan as some suggest as an excuse to get rid of opponents in the military, but either way under Erdogan Turkey is on its way to being yet another Islamic (failed) State. Censorship is back and Islamic education is compulsory in all public schools.

All my own opinion of course. DYOR.

Much obliged. It does seem a poor effort of a coup to be fair, a number of people were killed so not making light of the event, but the theories that it was staged seem quite plausible given the numbers involved and the lack of commitment of those conducting it. 

Archived