• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your views on 1/10 gold coins?

rebnah

Hi guys

ive been offered 1/10 gold Brits and panda's

just wondering what people think about 1/10 gold coins in general?

are they to small?

good resale value?

let me know your views

thank you

Great resale value - always a hefty premium above spot for 1/10 coins.

Obviously, it depends on what price you can purchase them at... But I have dozens of people who would snap my hand off for 1/10ths - you can't really go wrong with them

11 minutes ago, rebnah said:

Hi guys

ive been offered 1/10 gold Brits and panda's

just wondering what people think about 1/10 gold coins in general?

are they to small?

good resale value?

let me know your views

thank you

NIce. Popular and becoming more so.

I still need a 2009 1/10th panda for an anniversary present if your contact has one.:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Via this forum - the smaller the gold the easier it is the sell.

1/4 oz or Full sovereign or below in size - always seem to get bought pretty quick if the price is right (ie a few % over spot)

37 minutes ago, rebnah said:

Cheers for the reply 

what would you say is a good price to pay for them now?

As close to spot as possible - as always :P  I can't say I follow the prices of 1/10th pieces closely, but I do know that the premiums are healthy.  I'd suggest checking ebay sold listings for an idea of current market values.

If you ever talk to any of the big gold selling sites like Chard, they always say steer clear of low demonisation for investment, but over the last couple of years I have come firmly to the conclusion that the opposite is correct, especially if you ever need to sell. They might have high premiums, but they are incredibly easy to sell when you need to. 

I should add this goes for both bullion and proofs. Heck I have seen 2014 Britannia 1/10s go for £2-300, a huge premium. Have seen some quarter sovereigns go for £150 with just 1.99 grams of gold.

Whilst the bigger coins and sets have lower premiums, how many people have a spare £1k or even £2k lying about for a coin or proof set of coins compare to a couple of hundred for a 1/10 bullion or proof...

Its all about the demand.

1 minute ago, richo said:

If you ever talk to any of the big gold selling sites like Chard, they always say steer clear of low demonisation for investment, but over the last couple of years I have come firmly to the conclusion that the opposite is correct, especially if you ever need to sell. They might have high premiums, but they are incredibly easy to sell when you need to. 

I should add this goes for both bullion and proofs. Heck I have seen 2014 Britannia 1/10s go for £2-300, a huge premium. Have seen some quarter sovereigns go for £150 with just 1.99 grams of gold.

Whilst the bigger coins and sets have lower premiums, how many people have a spare £1k or even £2k lying about for a coin or proof set of coins compare to a couple of hundred for a 1/10 bullion or proof...

Its all about the demand.

Good advice

I was thinking of getting them and sticking them away for a short while and see what happens to the price in the near future?

I like the tiny 1/25 Philharmonic too

I like them personally (only a new thing, @morezone got me hooked with a 1/10 angel :D)

But, yes it does seem that some nutters out there think 200% premium is normal, sorry not for me. a few % more than oz premium is what i aim for.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

1/10th definitely worth picking up if you ever see them at close to spot.

On new issues, expect to pay around 15%.  I buy one of each as I collect them but I wouldn't stack them at that price.  The Panda and Somali Elephant however would be worth buying and holding as investments.  The premium on those should go up over the years.

Just talking about the aesthetics and nothing else, I've had a proof 1/10 Britannia and didn't like it at all; the design of the Britannia doesn't fit such a small scale

I've also had a proof 1/4 sovereign, that was also not very nice

However, I find 1/2 sovereigns perfectly fine and they're not too much bigger that 1/10's

I can imagine the 1/10 Pandas still being very nice 

None of this probably helps :P 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I have always found 1/10th and 1/4 the easiest to sell and of course sovereigns.

The big distinction is whether or not you go for items which have a certain value or items which have a questionable value.

A bullion Britannia 1/10th or a Eagle 1/10th are very fixed up and down in the market whereas a panda or lunar or proof britannia or angel , Libertad or many others have wiggle room. It's clear that sometimes wiggle room works in your favor and rarely does it work against you.

Think of wiggle room as the potential for redefinition in accordance with Numismatic value or fashion or sentiment. The right coin can start at spot linked and can be elevated via crowd movement, pr stories, reviews, rarity, and grading to be more than the sum of its parts on resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choice now would be the 1/10 Royal mint lunar sheep. Yes a bit over spot (circa £130), but nice coin (the sheep look rather menacing), great packaging (blister pack over loose is a massive bonus), and will of course change design each year. In short, a bit more wiggle room as noted above. Gutted no bullion monkey at 1/10 this year, only a semi proof version at £195. Effectively double spot.

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, rebnah said:

Good advice

I was thinking of getting them and sticking them away for a short while and see what happens to the price in the near future?

I like the tiny 1/25 Philharmonic too

I bought one of these recently, way too small for my eyes. These will sell well when the gold price goes further upwards.

I agree with Numistacker.. I've focused primarly on 1/4 and 1/10 mainly due to affordability. During the recent spike, I've traded a few of my gold pieces back to silver or larger pieces of gold. I try to stick with gold that I can get where the premiums are flexible. I recently did a trade of a $10 indian 1/2 AU Details, $2.5 indian, and 1/10 Lunar horse + a little cash for a  2015 1 oz libertad, although with rim dings. 

In another case I sold off a 2006 1/4 panda (damaged) and a 2012 1/10 panda and picked up 6 x 10 oz JM bars. I leverage the premiums and demand to do a conversion. My total input $925 for a conversion to 60oz of premium bullion ~$15.42/oz.

This is not the case for a lot of 1/4's, definitely not for eagles, philharmonics, etc. The bullion value is just the price floor. The premium is the demand that can be leveraged in a trade deal or sale. In the case for the indians, I would've never got the full cash value because they were AU details, but now I have a full 1 oz which can be realized for full bullion value at anytime, same with the JM bars or use the premium to do it again.

The 1/10-1/4 has some of the biggest premium gains out of the fractionals. The more in demand the better, like the 1/4 QB which also did well for me. I try to buy at spot, very close too it, or trade under it (with existing inventory). If you do pandas, DO NOT remove them from OMP. They lose 10-20% unless they are graded and slabbed. I sold off my 2006 because it had a little mark and left $150 on the table. The premiums are all in the condition or grade for the collectors.

One other note with the semi-numi, if spot went down I would've been able to convert at much better ratios, but considering spot went up I got less. -_-

Btw, i don't know the performance of the 1/10th brits that could be a locality thing. Pandas though are world wide. I also like the somali elephant but the premium is too high for me right now.

Edited by ikeonet1

Pick up as many as you can as close to spot as you can.

I was collecting them to put a type set together of all the different world coins.  When I had about 20 of them I found that they were just to small to really look at and enjoy and handle without damaging them.  I tried to put them in plastic capsules and found that all the different mints required different size capsules.  My solution was to get them all graded by ngc so at least they would be protected and all in the same size holder. After they were graded they came back all various grades of 68, 69, and 70. This created my next problem, wanting perfection, I only decided to keep the coins graded 70 and get rid of all the rest.  So I traded the ones of lesser grade in to my us dealer at a hefty premium over spot for a nice size pamp gold fortuna bar. 

The moral of the story is try to figure out what you want to accomplish and develop a plan to execute it. 

In the USA the dealers will push anything to make a profit, it's up to you to sift through everything and make the decision for yourself.

That said 1/10 is a good starting size and I like The 1/4 ounce size if you are putting a world set together.

I wouldn't touch 1/10th's or quarter sovs with a barge pole. Modern tat, bought by people with more money than sense. The Royal Mint must love anyone buying gold this way. Rubbing their hands all the way to the bank. ...Although if you can buy for a few percent over spot, then like any gold, snap em up. 

However, for the same money as a modern quarter sovereign, you can easily buy a Victorian shield half sovereign. In my opinion a much much better buy, and will keep it's value much better than the modern stuff.  

Interesting thoughts, but just judging eBay, 1/10s seem to always do really well, often selling for up to double spot. Maybe it's just lazy buyers, but it doesn't seem like the secondary market is anywhere near as liquid once you get over an ounce. I would certainly not buy large proof sets worth thousands as eBay seems awash with them not moving. personally I love the little 1/10 Kangaroos. At around £120 granted its near 15-20% over spot I guess.

On 15/07/2016 at 19:16, HighlandTiger said:

I wouldn't touch 1/10th's or quarter sovs with a barge pole. Modern tat, bought by people with more money than sense. The Royal Mint must love anyone buying gold this way. Rubbing their hands all the way to the bank. ...Although if you can buy for a few percent over spot, then like any gold, snap em up. 

However, for the same money as a modern quarter sovereign, you can easily buy a Victorian shield half sovereign. In my opinion a much much better buy, and will keep it's value much better than the modern stuff.  

Where I agree that paying RM prices is ridiculous, as you say if you can collect something or stack for close to spot, especially for fractional it seems to be a no brainer because of how liquid they are compared to 1oz.

If I could buy 1/10s for 5% over I would dump a ton of cash into them, but you can't. At least not easily

Personally I like the 1/10 Brit proofs, currently averaging £110 each I am more than happy, just wish some others were as affordable!

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

On 15 July 2016 at 19:16, HighlandTiger said:

I'd like to know where you can pick up a shield half at the same price as a quarter sovereign!  You can pick up a quarter for around £70 if you are willing to wait or a bit more but still under £100 at almost any time but a shield half for less than £130 now is very unlikely and £140 upwards is much more common now.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I'd like to know where you can pick up a shield half at the same price as a quarter sovereign!  You can pick up a quarter for around £70 if you are willing to wait or a bit more but still under £100 at almost any time but a shield half for less than £130 now is very unlikely and £140 upwards is much more common now.

I was replying to Ricoh's post where he said "Have seen some quarter sovereigns go for £150 with just 1.99 grams of gold"

But even at £70, in my mind that is a stupid price. Why pay 16% over spot, for a little coin with no numismatic value, other than the hype created my the RM.