• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia 2016 Proofs a winner?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice coin, but at £425 is it a winner? I don't know really. Past years, apart from a couple of exceptions suggest generally not, but I do think the design is nice again this year. Am on the fence I guess given other commitments!

It would help immensely if Royal Mint packaged better and didn't just drop in a special delivery mailer. You would think a small item worth hundreds of pounds might deserve 10p of bubble wrap.

• 2 weeks later...

@Numistacker It is a beauty but when RM say, just 730 coins available in a limited edition presentation, does that mean 730 coins in total or is the door open for them to put out more in a bigger/different set.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

5 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

@Numistacker It is a beauty but when RM say, just 730 coins available in a limited edition presentation, does that mean 730 coins in total or is the door open for them to put out more in a bigger/different set.

I think you know the answer to that:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

One has to watch out for RM and limited edition presentations!

The six coin set has a limited edition presentation of 175 sets.

Many of the coins in this sent off fairly close to the 175 in maximum permissible mintage as well.

It always pays to ask for each coin the maximum mintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

175 six coin sets of gold proof. 70 of the three coin set. I made an enquiry about the 1/2 oz coin and why they had put 295 on the corrected coa. I then put a rather large flea in the woman's ear about the very poor reputation the RM now has on worldwide forums and suggested they go online and find out why.

They may be just counting spares. What do they do with faulty coins and how does this affect mintages?

ee3ba849dabc2ed5db61cc30995a5a1e.jpg

Gratuitous pic of a very rare Britannia

The RM woman said that in the "very very unlikely" event the RM Team should see the need to actually make the extra 50 1/2 oz coins as part of a different product, they would be able to (hence the extra "missing" 50 in the max mintage - 295). These 50 coins do not exist as of now. The 3 coin and 6 coin sets would remain strictly as 175 and 70 mintages for the sets respectively.

Either way, the sets are super rare, especially the 3 coin and the mintages are miniscule.

I finally got a reply from the RM about the "extra 50" on the 1/2 oz gold proof (already included in Numistacker's original chat with the RM at a maximum mintage of 295 and which tallies with the new corrected coa sent out).

175 6 coin sets

50 5 coin sets (US only)

70 3 coin sets

Hello Mr xxxxxxxxx

I am writing with regard to your enquiry concerning the 2016 Britannia Gold coin issues.
Our Marketing Team have confirmed that the remaining allocation of 50 of the Britannia half-ounce gold coins are included in a 5-coin Britannia Set that is sold exclusively in the USA by a Royal Mint distributor.
I hope that you will find this information both helpful and reassuring.

Kind regards

Allyson Bowden
Customer Services Manager

I finally got a reply from the RM about the "extra 50" on the 1/2 oz gold proof (already included in Numistacker's original chat with the RM at a maximum mintage of 295 and which tallies with the new corrected coa sent out).

175 6 coin sets

50 5 coin sets (US only)

70 3 coin sets

Hello Mr xxxxxxxxx   I am writing with regard to your enquiry concerning the 2016 Britannia Gold coin issues. Our Marketing Team have confirmed that the remaining allocation of 50 of the Britannia half-ounce gold coins are included in a 5-coin Britannia Set that is sold exclusively in the USA by a Royal Mint distributor. I hope that you will find this information both helpful and reassuring.     Kind regards   Allyson Bowden Customer Services Manager

It is interesting and strange that these extra sets have not appeared anywhere. The mintages are minuscule to be honest and 50 coins is neither here nor there. But it's good to get to the bottom of it finally.

When I spoke on the phone (which then led to me asking for more details by email), the RM person I spoke to said that these 50 "might" and "there was a tiny possibility" of appearing in sets "at some point."

At least they have finally just come out and said what exactly is happening.

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

fb9db0926017cc1787c0b63f00350a65.jpg

a7d93fa2c7d5852c33d26cbd481070b4.jpg

17e48888f913b4eb3cd7999d1073b64d.jpg

Two certificates arrived in today's post. Sending one back to them or someone will be missing theirs

Why? They cocked up, we all know that they aren't always the best at telling the truth you would know that if ever you see a set with the same number on they are reprinting COA's

Now that was a long walk to get there was it not ?

:rolleyes:

The correct certificate is on its way and should arrive soon. One bonus (?) of the whole event is that I get to keep my error certificate.

P.S. I have asked the RM about the US distributor,i.e. who is it ? If I ever get a reply, I will pass it on to give others a chance if they missed the 3 and 6 coin sets.

As promised, I fnally tracked down he missing 50 5 coin sets to Govmint. The denominations appear to be 1,1/2,1/4,1/10 and 1/20th gold proof but I have sent off an email just now asking for confirmation.

The prices are eyewatering. I think I will be giving this one a swerve and sticking with my 3 coin proof set. 

C
customerservice@govmint.com
Sat 9/24/2016 3:34 AM

To:

Hi xxxxxxxx

Here are all the prices of the items that I listed in my previous email (these are all 5 pc sets in different grades):

Item 292909       PF69UC First Strike                          $6950.00              3 in stock
Item 292910       PF70UC First Strike                          $8950.00              11 in stock           

The sets in numbered sets are all PF70UC First Strike and are priced by the number of the box as follows (1 of each available):

#1           $39950.00            
#3           $24950.00
#4           $24950.00
#5           $9950.00
#6           $9950.00
#8           $9950.00
#10         $9950.00

Sets 2,7,& 9 are already gone.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Angela

Just prior to this, I received this email as they sent me a screen shot of the product page saying it was on their website but for the life of me I could not find it and sent them a mail saying so.

The reply came thus

C

To:

Hello xxxxxx

The item number is 293065 and it is selling for $9,950.

The item does not show on our website; I do apologize.

You can contact us directly at 1800-721-0320 to place the order.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Allen

The 6 coin set from the RM cost 3150 gbp (ungraded) and the 3 coin set 1350gbp, so they are asking well over 5300 gbp for a 5 coin PF 69 ? and over 7000 gbp for 70s ! I am not even going into the madness of the numbered box set 70s 1-4....lol.

I guarantee a Chinese person bought the number 2 set rather than the number 1 and here is why

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/lucky-number2.htm

and here is why the 2,7 and 9 number sets have gone.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/lucky_number.htm

That is why I asked for an 88 numbered 6 coin silver Britannia Proof set ;) when  offered a choice within a range. Double 8s China style. Winging its way towards me as I type.

Final mail confirming the sets.

The denominations and weight is as follows (my computer won’t let me use an Alt code for the pound sign):

1 oz                        100 Pounds
½ oz                       50 Pounds
¼ oz                       25 Pounds
1/10 oz                 10 Pounds
1/20 oz                 1 Pound

Archived