• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia 2016 Proofs a winner?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guess I can use it as an excuse cos I lived across the pond for few years "The Design Sucks".

Detail is poor imo and what is all that, lumpy or cloudy like looking design above the Lions head and to the left and right of the Trident........Looks like someone has just  gouged out metal for the sake of some sort or rippling/cloud like or mountainous background........just awful

Dont like Britannia's costume either myself,rough and ready looks like shes  been dragged through a hedge backwards, again for me its a lack of detail.

Now the worst bit....what is all that string like stuff, purporting I would imagine, to be The Lions Mane..........Looks nothing like a Lions Mane, looks more like half a dozen mop heads from Wilkos and just stuck on the Lions back.

Also as said earlier doesnt even look like a Lion. Sorry Numistacker if that face is some  sort of hybrid between a Lion and a Monkey re The Chinese New Year well then then RM has truly lost the plot........................well it did years ago actually but this is just further confirmation.

You either buy a Britannia or a Year of the Monkey you cant cobble them together in that sort of way its just ludicrous marketing in my eyes..

Its all opinion, no right or wrong, but personally I think The Royal Mint has even surpassed its usual poor standards with this one and produced a real shocker........70 x 3 coin set mintage??........plenty, 7 would  have been ample.

But as someone says above The Yanks will buy any old tat with The Royal Mint Logo on the box and this is truly tat.Just compare the quality /engraving that has gone into that with any similar Chinese coin for instance, gold, silver, copper or brass........its embarrassing imo.

You have a good point about the Chinese )) but on the other hand the worst designed coins in recent years seem to have all been American and though I am a huge fan of America the design of coins is not something the us mint should generally be proud of.

Here on this esteemed forum we have a habit of slagging off much more than we praise and up to now I thought that was only the British way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not into "The British Way" stuff, no such thing.........just our individual personal opinions which we are all entitled to...............interesting you agree about Chinese stuff therefore find it difficult to understand, why you are praising  this latest Royal MInt issue so highly......... but that's perfectly fine you are obviously entitled to and I totally respect your opinion...............

I also happen to agree with you that Amercan Coin design leaves a lot to be desired in general (Buffalo apart)........but for the most overated and ridiculously overpriced Coins of all the Major Mints The Royal MInt stands head and shoulders above all other competition imo and this is just their latest example.

You'll be ok investment wise though Numistacker as HT says some crazy Yank will fall in love with them............I would seriously speculate that if it wasn't for The Americans wetting themselves over all things British The Royal Mint would go the same way as many other British Manufacturing processes over the years ie being way too complacent  with their self worth, their products and their inability to fill their Customers needs.

As I said that last bit is pure speculation on my part, please dont ask me to substantiate it, far too old to put the research into such a project now but I stand by the generalisation that I would not be far wrong.

Not into "The British Way" stuff, no such thing.........just our individual personal opinions which we are all entitled to...............interesting you agree about Chinese stuff therefore find it difficult to understand, why you are praising  this latest Royal MInt issue so highly......... but that's perfectly fine you are obviously entitled to and I totally respect your opinion...............

I also happen to agree with you that Amercan Coin design leaves a lot to be desired in general (Buffalo apart)........but for the most overated and ridiculously overpriced Coins of all the Major Mints The Royal MInt stands head and shoulders above all other competition imo and this is just their latest example.

You'll be ok investment wise though Numistacker as HT says some crazy Yank will fall in love with them............I would seriously speculate that if it wasn't for The Americans wetting themselves over all things British The Royal Mint would go the same way as many other British Manufacturing processes over the years ie being way too complacent  with their self worth, their products and their inability to fill their Customers needs.

As I said that last bit is pure speculation on my part, please dont ask me to substantiate it, far too old to put the research into such a project now but I stand by the generalisation that I would not be far wrong.

There is very little I like brand new from the Royal Mint. Very little is great value as its being sold by businesses who have massive overheads. Occasionally there is a gem and when I think I spot one I shout. The Queens beast series is a gem and will become a great series over a number of years and may so far better than britannia does.

I do not think as HT does that Americans are dumb and will buy anything the world produces. For most Americans the opposite is the case and if it ain't made in America it is worth nothing... But luckily there is a growing sector in the USA who are expanding the vision of what is acceptable in terms of collecting. Things in life and collect is taking a very keen interest in pandas, lunars, Britannias, sovereigns and Libertads.

A portion of my money has been on China in the last 12 months. The Chinese produce extremely high quality design and execution and low-volume Chinese medals have a massive financial growth potential in the coming years.

Going back to the Brittania 2016. It is far from a perfect design as I think we all realize, however it is significantly better than most recent designs the Royal mint has put out.

00d5a405ea9556d1614f7ea1d9608264.png

Suzie Zamit did the 2010 Britannia design and to my eye it was a good design.

And for investment potential for the 2016 Gold Britannias. You may notice that pretty much no gold proof Britannias have been on the market and sold at a cheap price.

From 2013, the gold content was improved to 9999, the packaging was significantly improved and the mintages were reduced considerably. The designs are now unique to you the proof editions and this makes them even more unusual, valuable, and rare.

I can't see the post 2012 proofs being sold as bullion for sometime yet.

38 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

00d5a405ea9556d1614f7ea1d9608264.png

Suzie Zamit did the 2010 Britannia design and to my eye it was a good design.

This is my very favorite Britannia design, by a mile.  Bought a couple from @Paul and also a couple from the Nordfrim bonanza thanks to @HighlandTiger.

I have to say, while there has been a lot of talk about the poor VFM for silver coins, a thing of beauty is a joy forever and you can't really go wrong with a good looker.

I prefer the 2015 to the 2016. Just a gut view, although I do think the 1/4 Oz coin this year, even with the premium, will turn out to be a good bet. The mintage at 730 seems very low to me. Isn't the sovereign 7,500? 

Therefore as an outside bet I think it's something worth throwing £425 at.

I prefer the 2015 to the 2016. Just a gut view, although I do think the 1/4 Oz coin this year, even with the premium, will turn out to be a good bet. The mintage at 730 seems very low to me. Isn't the sovereign 7,500? 

It is over 730 + 175 + 70 so 975 still fairly low and it will sell out I'm sure.

Looks like the upside mintage has been set at 6,550 after some of the Mint's usual dodgy marketing "errors" - they are getting a bit naughty with some of their somewhat shall we say "sharp" practices.

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2016_One_Ounce_Silver_Proof_Coin

What was it before? They always leave some room for year sets as well as the singles and 6 coin sets.

Ah, sorry. I got confused with the 2016 Battle of The Somme proof. Initial mintage was 1916 for the presentation sets. Then just as it was selling out, it magically got changed to 4,000 and then the overall mintage went to 6550.

The Britannia limited presentation 1 oz 2016 is 4150 and under specs it says 6550 total mintage. Sorry for the confusion but it doesn't hide the fact that The RM is playing games.

I have just spoken to the Royal mint and confirmed that the maximum mintage for the 2016 1/2oz is 295 and the maximum for the 1/10th is 295 coins

This makes the 2016 1/2 and 1/10th officially the lowest mintage Britannias of all time (unless you take gold 5oz into consideration) The mintages are in 2014 proof Libertad territory!

On 10/07/2016 at 23:12, richo said:

The product page for the 2016 1/4oz gold proof states an issue limit of 730 but a maximum coin mintage of 1,125 for this.

I'm not sure how reliable these statements are though. The 2016 1oz silver proof page has an issue limit of 4,150 with a maximum coin mintage of 6,550. But if you look at the specifications on the 2016 silver six coin proof set (with an issue limit of 1,100) it states that the 1oz silver proof has a maximum coin mintage of 7,000. That's a 450 difference.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've seen discrepancies between stated maximum mintage figures on RM product pages.

39 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

I have just spoken to the Royal mint and confirmed that the maximum mintage for the 2016 1/2oz is 295 and the maximum for the 1/10th is 295 coins

This makes the 2016 1/2 and 1/10th officially the lowest mintage Britannias of all time (unless you take gold 5oz into consideration) The mintages are in 2014 proof Libertad territory!

for the 1/10 i assume there are all in sets?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

3 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Yes only in sets and most of the sets never get broken so they will be hens teeth rare

Hi, are the sets not released yet? Or already gone. All I can see are the silver sets and 1/4 Oz coin. Still think 730 seems low for the gold 1/4 proof.

Just now, Numistacker said:

The sets are sold out in a couple of days and only the 1/4proofs are left.

The premiums only getting worse with this sharp fall today, so am not overly worried at missing, but the mintages do look very low. Having said that, how many times do we say it's demand, not mintage? Royal Australian mint have produced like 5k of the Ursa Major coin and that will double in value in the next couple of months or so. 

I think the silver set will do quite nicely assuming they don't slyly increase the mintage. This is the lowest mintage by a fair way, ever.

The 2014 is fetching very good money now but that is probably the exception as the design is very popular.

2016     1100

2015     1750

2014     1750

2013    3000

1997 - 2012      between  2500 and 11800

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2016_One_Ounce_Silver_Proof_Coin

states a maximum mintage of 6,550 coins for the 1oz proof

whereas

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2016_Six_Coin_Silver_Proof_Set

states a maximum mintage of 7,000 coins for the 1oz proof

Soooooooooo, does this mean the maximum mintage is 13,550 for the 1 oz proofs or has the Mint lost the ability to count and communicate ? Enquiring minds wish to know :lol:

I sent the RM a mail just now asking for clarification. I have bought the 6 coin set entirely for the fractional proof coins  (mintage of 1,100) but it would be nice to know and The RM are making a career out of being obtuse in their marketing.

Good luck on that. I got in to a rather long debate with them about the accuracy of the mintage information in relation to their latest Somme silver coin, which was advertised and sold up to 90% on one mintage, before changing to another. Now I am just about happy to accept their explanation of a mistake, but I still think they have a duty to pro-actively advise people who bought the coin whilst inaccurate mintage information was displayed to them. 

What the Royal Mint really needs is strict audited controls on mintage information that explicitly avoids confusion and ambiguity, and places an emphasis on a single transparent figure per coin. 

Archived