• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia 2016 Proofs a winner?

I have reserved a 2016 premium 3 coin gold set with a mintage of 70 sets.

The design by Suzie Zamet is pretty much as good as the 2014 design which was critically claimed.

I'm trying to find out what the absolute mintages will be at the moment. The six coin set has a mintage of 175 and the three coin set has a mintage of 70.

There will be no small three coin sent this year but the 1/4oz returns as a single coin for the first time since 2012.

I looked this morning and the three coin premium set has already sold out. Interestingly the 2015 premium three coin set is still available after almost a year.

What do you guys think of the design?

To me the great design coupled with the small reduction in margin between the proof and spot gold together with the post Brexit interest precious metals is likely to mean that this set and the design is very successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the mark up will be the same as usual, with Chards getting a few of the sets in a few years setting the secondary price.  If anyone likes them then get them its a gamble. 

I'm not.   

I think the mark up will be the same as usual, with Chards getting a few of the sets in a few years setting the secondary price.  If anyone likes them then get them its a gamble. 

I'm not.   

Maybe over time you will be right. I know that if I were to slab them and sell in the USA at some stage I would always make money on these.

9 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Not even the cute lion ))

Design aside i personally think the RM's premiums are bonkers. I enjoy a proof coin but my personal opinion is they are taking the p***. Putting the word "premium" in the item description changes nothing for me personally.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Not even the cute lion ))

Design aside i personally think the RM's premiums are bonkers. I enjoy a proof coin but my personal opinion is they are taking the p***. Putting the word "premium" in the item description changes nothing for me personally.

Yes I feel the same way in some ways but premium is something that's always there to a greater or lesser extent. Mostly RM overcharge as they spend a fortune on marketing. Usually the premiums evaporate but sometimes they treble or more.

When I started noticing 1/4oz britannia proofs (2013) I could buy for £225 when a sov was £173 you try to find one available anywhere in the world for less than £330 now.

Lots more people have noticed Britannias and all I have sold have sold in minutes.

I'm just not convinced that it's been struck with enough detail.  The empty field looks cheap, to be honest.  A bit of a shame, because I struggle to think of a more perfect subject than Britannia and the Lion.

I'm just not convinced that it's been struck with enough detail.  The empty field looks cheap, to be honest.  A bit of a shame, because I struggle to think of a more perfect subject than Britannia and the Lion.

Not sure that we will know till we see in the flesh

18 hours ago, Clens92 said:

Oh I quite like the background; sea and sky with the odd seagull. In many designs, all that would be completely empty and just shiny silver, which has it's own attraction in some designs too!

In fact, my only criticism on this topic would be that the actual relief design itself, is a little lacking in detail.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I like how you teased you already had the 2016 set :P 

Personally I  find the design very dull and uninspired 

I can't help but compare all Britannia designs to the 2014 proof which is so fresh and modern

2014 proof Britannia, 2016 queens beast, give me Jody Clark for every design please RM (2015 Brit was ok too) 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Just on the topic of Brit proofs, the 2014 is doing very well

I remember seeing the 6 coin set for like £170 odd for a while

I think I sold my 2014 6 coin silver set for about £280 or so maybe more.

I have a 3 coin 2016 set reserved for buying Monday and it's now sold out. £1,350 with 0.5 + 0.25 + .10 so .85 of an oz of gold = £897.08 so the premium is higher than most stackers would be happy with. On the other side of the equation it's a nice design and the 2010 britannia by same artist has sold at a good premium. There were 70 sets only an almost unheard of low number for the Royal Mint and the 10th oz looks to be the lowest 1/10th proof mintage ever.

Regarding the design : the standing Britannia and the border look good to me,

but the lion's face is just wrong, like someone can't draw lions. :unsure:

7ee0be2460f407f9b25c10fb1b2dd607.jpg

It's a monkey lion to celebrate the year of the monkey

Well guess I can use it as an excuse cos I lived across the pond for few years "The Design Sucks".

Detail is poor imo and what is all that, lumpy or cloudy like looking design above the Lions head and to the left and right of the Trident........Looks like someone has just  gouged out metal for the sake of some sort or rippling/cloud like or mountainous background........just awful

Dont like Britannia's costume either myself,rough and ready looks like shes  been dragged through a hedge backwards, again for me its a lack of detail.

Now the worst bit....what is all that string like stuff, purporting I would imagine, to be The Lions Mane..........Looks nothing like a Lions Mane, looks more like half a dozen mop heads from Wilkos and just stuck on the Lions back.

Also as said earlier doesnt even look like a Lion. Sorry Numistacker if that face is some  sort of hybrid between a Lion and a Monkey re The Chinese New Year well then then RM has truly lost the plot........................well it did years ago actually but this is just further confirmation.

You either buy a Britannia or a Year of the Monkey you cant cobble them together in that sort of way its just ludicrous marketing in my eyes..

Its all opinion, no right or wrong, but personally I think The Royal Mint has even surpassed its usual poor standards with this one and produced a real shocker........70 x 3 coin set mintage??........plenty, 7 would  have been ample.

But as someone says above The Yanks will buy any old tat with The Royal Mint Logo on the box and this is truly tat.Just compare the quality /engraving that has gone into that with any similar Chinese coin for instance, gold, silver, copper or brass........its embarrassing imo.

Archived