• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello from UK

richo

Hi,

Relative newbie but started collecting coins very gradually from 2012.

My view is to both have fun, and just divest a bit of risk. 

I have gone for a mixture of bullion and collectible coins. I know the latter are often worse investments, but I enjoy looking at some of the coins, which is what it's all about.

I have mainly bought gold bullion Kangaroos in small weights, 1/10, 1/4 and a couple of 1/2 Oz. I like the design and the capsule protection. I have also bought a couple of Discover Australia gold coins which carry a premium, but some are lovely. My favourite coin is attached! Not everyday you get a frog on a gold coin.

I have a small amount of silver, only a few coins, but the milk spot issue worries me until really ironed out, so in part this has kept my silver stack down, especially since I dip in to proofs and collectibles. I think with bullion it's not really an issue. I do have a 5oz silver wedge tailed eagle which I think looks great. 

thanks,

richo

image.jpeg

Physical gold is a buy & hold investment. Yes you made a few % on your short term flipping, but now you have no position and are watching the market continue to go away from you. To be a bit blunt, I have always said that if you are just looking for a few percent, then you are much better off to trade the paper rather than physical.

Unfortunately this is only something that experience will teach you. I have been investing for 20 years now, and remember stocks that I sold for 20-30% gain within a month and gave myself a pat on the back for, then go on to make 200-300% or more over the next few years. Long term investment is about recognising a major trend, getting on board for the ride, and not trying to over-complicate it for short term gai - the vast majority of people trip themselves up that way.

[wrong post]

Archived