• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hattongardens metals

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

Hattongarden metals seem to sell most of their gold coins with only 3% premium (actual amount is slightly higher due to shipping)

This seems like very good value and I am wondering if these coins are therefore preowned?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes they are

Thanks, good to know. I would be a bit disappointed if I bought a gold coin and it had a slight ding or scratch in it, I know it's supposed to be only bullion but still.

I think I will only consider hatton garden metals for gold nuggets, they are capsulated at the mint so they should be in perfect condition, also it would be quite fun, like a lucky dip to see what year you end up with.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Don't expect all nuggets to come with their capsules. Most will but there will be some that do not.

Ah, that is a real shame. Why anyone would remove a coin from the original capsule, I don't know.

Hopefully Hatton Garden metals sell all the nuggets they get on their site. Would be a shame if they only sold the bad quality ones with 3% premium and kept the ones in good condition for eBay / to be sold elsewhere for higher amounts.

Discounts / Offers

I've followed HGM for a while and it looks like everything goes onto their website within hours of it coming into their shop. It seems their policy is get it in and get it sold. The coins I've got from them have all been in great condition, with the bonus being that the silver coins will often be from past years. So if you are quick you can get some early Britannias for much less than any silver dealer or ebay auction  

I just looked on their website. What's a silver Australian nugget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably a RAM Kangaroo

I just looked on their website. What's a silver Australian nugget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Silver austrailian Nugget is minted by the Royal Australian mint in Canberra. The coins have Queen Elizabeth II on one side and on the reverse side a portriat of an animal which will be named on the top of the coin. The Silver Austrialian Nugget is struck in fine .999 silver."

Discounts / Offers

Ah, that is a real shame. Why anyone would remove a coin from the original capsule, I don't know.

I've just done exactly that.  While putting my new purchases to storage, I took my 2 roos and S1 lunar out of their capsule and put into an air-tite.  I like to have everything uniform and now all the 1oz are sitting in an air-tites cap inside an air-tites tube.

I have kept the original capsules which they will go back into should I one day sell.

I've just done exactly that. While putting my new purchases to storage, I took my 2 roos and S1 lunar out of their capsule and put into an air-tite. I like to have everything uniform and now all the 1oz are sitting in an air-tites cap inside an air-tites tube.

I have kept the original capsules which they will go back into should I one day sell.

Yea, but, did you put fingerprints over your roos or did you handle them with gloves?

Discounts / Offers

Yea, but, did you put fingerprints over your roos or did you handle them with gloves?

Gloves :)  New bullion = gloves. Old circulated stuff = any old how

Gloves :) New bullion = gloves. Old circulated stuff = any old how

So removing them from one capsule to place in a different type of capsule is completely allowable, but to uncap a coin and then to get finger prints all over it :o fair enough if you want to, but it's not nice for the next buyer.

In my opinion: All bullion coins = gloves :) I wouldn't want to be the seller or buyer of a coin with a finger print on, that would annoy be heavily. Or even to know that the edge of the coin was touched with bare hands.

I also handle my bars with gloves, but I can understand others not. But to not handle collectable coins with gloves :o no excuses. People say "it's only bullion" but In fact it's collectable bullion.

Discounts / Offers

When I buy secondary market bullion from dealers I assume it's been handled by bare hands, may have been thrown about a little and has marks etc. If buying from a private seller I assume it's near mint and any handling has been disclosed.

If I sell mine privately, I'll state that they've been housed in a different capsule. It's then upto the buyer to decide whether they wish to purchased based on that info and the high res pics.

I thought all capsules were airtight. Are they not?

Have you seen the mint capsule on the silver pandas?!

Discounts / Offers

Has anyone does a water test to see if PM and Panda capsules are air tight?

The only reason I use "air-tites" (brand) is to make everything uniform, plus they feel much nice than generics.  Since I can have them all the same size they fit nicely into one of their tubes.

The fingernail slot to open the capsule doesn't go right through. There is plastic behind the easy to open slot thingy. I assume that's what you mean.

Really? To me it looked like a hole that went all the way through.

Discounts / Offers

My experience of buying from HGM is very good.

If you pay before lunchtime they try to ship the same day and you receive next morning.

If you sell gold you can get money in your bank the same day so a superb service.

Gold prices are very good but with 4% margin on sovs sometimes Atkinsons can beat them if buying about £1000 worth.

Basically HGM receives coins then adds them to their website so they are often in and out the same day.

It is pot luck what coin you get, as with ANY bullion seller but if the coin is seriously damaged by previous owners i.e. edge filed away or maybe a coin that was mounted in jewellery, HGM is always happy to replace but remember you are buying "weight" and not condition so you might get a well used coin or you might get something like new. They are not a coin shop, not grading coins and that is reflected in their low margin over spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any rivals to HGM in the uk that sell preowned gold coins for around 3% margin?

Discounts / Offers

Are there any rivals to HGM in the uk that sell preowned gold coins for around 3% margin?

Sometimes if you are lucky Atkinsons gets close to this but most of the time HGM appears the lowest price.

Archived