• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What to buy?

Shamatti

I have been thinking of adding another ounce to the gold stack. So I have been looking at Atkinsons and Gold Line .co.uk who seem to have very good prices, better than Atkinsons.

I looked at their range which is very extensive, but decided I really want 1 ounce this time. Don't want more Australian gold, thought I would buy British so that leaves me the Britannia or the Lunar Horse.

Which would you pick between those two, and why?

I'd choose the horse as it's pretty much the same price and the Brit won't be changing designs from now on (so we are led to believe).

Are there any dealers who you'd choose over another in terms of the condition of the coin? 

Are some dealers going to try to give you a good example whilst there may be others who consider bullion is bullion?

I would choose the horse., I think Joe public knows sovereigns and that's it but in a collectors market the horse could appreciate more than just the gold value

On the other side of the gold coin if you own Silver Brits would be nice to have a gold one along side them. I think the horse would be the better bet.

Thanks guys, I had sort of come to the same conclusion, get the horsey! :) Would be nice to have a friend for my Australian group too ;)

SilverPirate hit on it though - I have the Silver Britannia, so that made me stop and think. But then I also have the silver RM Horse, and the Horse Mule too, so the Gold horse should fit right in! :D

Damn you Gold prices!!! Why do you have to be low now? I just had a £510 bill for a full service on my Motorhome yesterday! Now I have to find cash for a coin too!!!! I think gold will go up again next week too, so need to make hay as they say!! Currently only £785.75 delivered, I think - can't find any word on shipping on the web site. Atkinsons is just over £800 free delivery.

Anyone know if goldline.co.uk does free shipping? Anyone used them before?

Depends why you want another ounce. A bar (well ok, an ingot) would be best value, but I'm guessing you want something more visually interesting, in which case the horse is easily the best option and will coerce you into collecting the whole series, which you will probably want to do.

Depends why you want another ounce. A bar (well ok, an ingot) would be best value, but I'm guessing you want something more visually interesting, in which case the horse is easily the best option and will coerce you into collecting the whole series, which you will probably want to do.

Man!!!! I can't imagine for a minute having the whole series of RM Lunar Gold coins. How fabulous would that be! lol

Goldonline.co.uk prices are all ex delivery.  Delivery is around £7.50.  

Thanks MZ! :) Still better prices than Atkinsons then! Wicked!

I think the Horse is a no brainer on this one - limited mintage, great design, fits in to collection! It is a good balance between bullion and numi too. Should do well.

Not sure what I was thinking last night lol! One too many voddies I reckon, always makes me question myself. I am the most indecisive drinker ever lol!!! :blink:

• Founder & Administrator

I'd get a gold Somalian elephant instead. That's what I want to save up for. I think I will collect that and the lunar and kangaroo each year.

Brits, maples, gold philamonic, gold buffalo, anything with the same pattern each year can be purchased at any point in the future when spare funds allow.

If you don't want a elephant, and want either a Britannia or UK lunar horse, I'd go for the lunar horse.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I'd get a gold Somalian elephant instead. That's what I want to save up for. I think I will collect that and the lunar and kangaroo each year.

Brits, maples, gold philamonic, gold buffalo, anything with the same pattern each year can be purchased at any point in the future when spare funds allow.

If you don't want a elephant, and want either a Britannia or UK lunar horse, I'd go for the lunar horse.

I do like those gold elephants, but just a little more expensive. Other coins I would love to add to the gold stack if I had endless cash would be:

Krugerand

Mexical Libertad

All the discover Australia half ounce proofs! Especially the Frog! ♥

Pandas!!! Love them

1 Ounce Lunar Monkey!!!

Gold Freedom Girl BU

Time to buy a lotto ticket! lol

I was thinking about the Freedom Girl myself but I decided not to get one.  I'm concerned about the strike quality because I've seen some SBSS/SS stuff where the strike is off centre.

I bought a Somali Elephant the other day.  Should be with my next week hopefully and will land at £794 along with some other bits inc New Zealand Kiwi.

• Founder & Administrator

Nice price on that elephant morezone, I will probably get one later on in the year. Hopefully the price of gold is still around the same level.

I do like the gold freedom girl, to be honest I think the freedom girl is the only round I like from SBSS

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Do any 1oz gold coins perform well on the secondary market?

Some of the old American gold eagles attract a high premium, depending on their rarity I suppose.

I know this from watching American digger. Boooooom Baby!

Do any 1oz gold coins perform well on the secondary market?

Prices are so low at the moment all gold coins will do well on the second hand market, so long as spot has gained a few points. And it doesn't need to be much. I just paid under £790 for a 1 ounce and that's landed - in my hand price! I don't know if it will increase it's premium, but it should be an easy sell, I'd say!

Ok then.  If gold drops to £500 per oz are there any which will still make the current price?

That wasn't the question though. The question was if they would do well on the second hand market. I imagine that if gold dropped to £500 then 1 Oz coins would do particularly well on the second hand market! lol I would certainly buy some!

They might not hold their current value, I'll give you that, but we all kno spot will go up in the long run! :)

• 4 years later...

Any advice for an American looking to start gold stacking? I want to have my foundation made of one type of gold coin that is easily liquidated and recognized in the states but also one that can be found close to spot. I’m aiming for the 1/4 oz size since it’s the one that best fits my budget. Will the British/EU sovereigns still be a good choice even in the states?

2 hours ago, MadActivZombE said:

Any advice for an American looking to start gold stacking? I want to have my foundation made of one type of gold coin that is easily liquidated and recognized in the states but also one that can be found close to spot. I’m aiming for the 1/4 oz size since it’s the one that best fits my budget. Will the British/EU sovereigns still be a good choice even in the states?

MAZE, I am possibly in the minority with having focused primarily on Gold Sovereigns and have very few US minted gold coins. As others will attest is do some homework on what you will be able to sell easily...check with your local LCS, other selling sources (eBay, TSF Sales section, other Social Medium) for indicators.

Archived