• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Keeping your investment safe from divorce?

If you're  married.

Do you have a plan to protect your coin collection in the face of divorce?

Do you disclose the real value of your coins?

Do you store them secretly?

I can assure you if you've not thought about it, it may be something to consider.

You may be sad when your hobby / investment is lost in the legality of separation.

As you can never fully trust another person.

Surely it doesn't only apply to a coin collection? What about cash, other investments, goods...etc..... If your other half is kept in the dark about everything you own and or do, you may as well be on your own, because your marriage is shite anyway....

Such sad times. I personally disagree with this statement:

"As you can never fully trust another person" 

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

34 minutes ago, Danny-boy said:

Yep, she doesn't know about it emoji1.png

Very Smart Man.

We all have car insurance, not because we envisage a crash.

But in event something happens we are financially sorted.

10 minutes ago, MCJ said:

Surely it doesn't only apply to a coin collection? What about cash, other investments, goods...etc..... If your other half is kept in the dark about everything you own and or do, you may as well be on your own, because your marriage is shite anyway....

I'm taking about coins because its something that we collect personally.

We collectors / investors spend our money on coins..

We are careful how we allocate our money.

Your partner may spend her money every month on Designer handbags, Nights out, Lavish Clothes, Expensive Fragrances, Salon, Sunbed  etc.

But when you divorce she will want your coins even though she never expressed any interest in them prior.

Regardless of the fact you saved every month to buy them. While she squandered her portion of funds.

Food for thought.

I store my collection in a safedepositbox

I have all my purchases and sales in a excel file in the same place + in a cloud net

My wife do not know what I have, or how much it wurth ( if she did she would have me killed :D)

She know where to find it if I pass away, but have no intress in it for now.

I'm reading this book at the moment... it's an old book but some of the principle idea's are still relevant.

You can find some good tips but there are some questionable topics (what may look like tax evasion?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Banking-Silence-Complete-Protect-Special/dp/0906619475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465231895&sr=8-1&keywords=banking+in+silence

Entertain an idea if you would be so kind, for just a moment please. If I ever divorced could I not just liquidate all my paper (traceable) assets and just move the value into tangible (untraceable) assets? Who is to know what I have done with them once the money has been moved into untraceable goods or physical cash? For example;

Withdraw the cash from the bank. Instantly it is untraceable. You can just say you spent it on the slot machines, down the pub, at the dog racing. No proof that you spent it, but as far as everyone is concerned - its all gone sorry.

With your hidden gold hoard that no one can find, you can say you pawned it to feed your slot machine/dog racing gambling addiction or lost it in an unfortunate boating accident. As far as everyone is concerned - its all gone sorry. For example, I spend cash on a ounce of gold, which is traceable, but once in my possession the gold disappears. No one knows where it is, so it might as well not exist. Only when I sell does it pop up on the radar again.

I am being daft yes, but would this not work? I mean how are they going to take the money/gold from you if no one can find it and thus no one can prove that still have it? :lol:

1 hour ago, KDave said:

Entertain an idea if you would be so kind, for just a moment please. If I ever divorced could I not just liquidate all my paper (traceable) assets and just move the value into tangible (untraceable) assets? Who is to know what I have done with them once the money has been moved into untraceable goods or physical cash? For example;

Withdraw the cash from the bank. Instantly it is untraceable. You can just say you spent it on the slot machines, down the pub, at the dog racing. No proof that you spent it, but as far as everyone is concerned - its all gone sorry.

With your hidden gold hoard that no one can find, you can say you pawned it to feed your slot machine/dog racing gambling addiction or lost it in an unfortunate boating accident. As far as everyone is concerned - its all gone sorry. For example, I spend cash on a ounce of gold, which is traceable, but once in my possession the gold disappears. No one knows where it is, so it might as well not exist. Only when I sell does it pop up on the radar again.

I am being daft yes, but would this not work? I mean how are they going to take the money/gold from you if no one can find it and thus no one can prove that still have it? :lol:

Sounds good.. The problem is once your partner is proceeding with a divorce its already too late..

They (Partner / Solicitor) will be looking at the records and would view this as a blatant attempt to move and hide money..

• An order under section 37 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 - there are two types of order under this provision. First, an order preventing the disposal of assets that might be about to take place and which would prejudice the applicant. Secondly, an order requiring assets that have already been disposed of to be transferred back.

If you buy gold every month and keep it to yourself then you will be in a safer situation. (Use A Safe Deposit Box - None Will Know The Contents)

Compared to trying to withdraw £5,000 - £20,000 over the course of a few days.. and saying its all gone

• Founder & Administrator

6 hours ago, forgottenmemorie said:

As you can never fully trust another person.

Just my personal opinion about trust... "He who does not trust enough will not be trusted." --Lao Tzu

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

9 hours ago, forgottenmemorie said:

Your partner may spend her money every month on Designer handbags, Nights out, Lavish Clothes, Expensive Fragrances, Salon, Sunbed  etc.

But when you divorce she will want your coins even though she never expressed any interest in them prior.

Regardless of the fact you saved every month to buy them. While she squandered her portion of funds.

This statement rings true and when a court divides assets it does so by what the is the value now, so if one buys coins every month expect to lose 1/2 of the collection. That is why a coin collection is different than a stack, if she knows about the coins then i myself would be open and take the stack money out of the house hold budget before allowances are given out, then both are aware what the stack is and who owns it 50/50.  You can then have just as much money as her to waste!  

7 hours ago, oliversw5 said:

Im bored of hearing these type of threads (no offence to the op) 

Next we will be seeing a massive long list from our resident cynic Paul on why we should all be lonely and miserable :P

I'm so glad i got an invite to this thread :)  Nice and simple, I'll play. Let's consider the following options:

Option A: I continue making a good chunk of money currently, continue servicing zero debt, continue investing more than 50% of my net income monthly, continue pursuing an easy life of leisure and no stress, continue in good health, continue my x3 weekly 'me-time' in local spa/gym/jacuzzi/steam room, continue to have all of my none indentured times to be all my own, continue not having to spend weekends wandering with the other zombies around shopping centres and retails parks picking this seasons new curtain ties, continue to travel to a new country each year, retire very early compared to other on current figures it should be around 50, continue to have zero people depending on me, continue to have zero stress or worries in my life, and spend the last few decades of my life foofing around doing pointless entertainments that pleasure me for my own amusement like mountain biking, trips away, walking dog in countryside, reading, building and making things 

Option B: I wife up some mean-spirited land-whale with a perma-snarl on her chops who past 30+ is already past her sell by date & depreciating each year, wifing her up lowers or stops her sexually as she ages, a bigger than needed mortgaged house will require me to be an economic workhorse until my 60s, force stress at work for having to be a provider & utility resource, kids which means no free time and a massive expense over their lifetime, i don't choose to risk the sword of Damocles being over my gentlemens tackle for the life of my marriage that she can end on any whim at any time because 'shes not happy' and the high risk getting raped in female skewed divorce court, have government in my affairs for child support and her walking away with 50% of my total lifes efforts thus far, take the kids and the house which would mean instead I would die poor, unhappy bitter and twisted and alone anyway.  

Of course not all women are like that but I'm quite content with my little life and I ain't going round kissing the frogs to find out this mystical perfect woman.  

• An order under section 37 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 - there are two types of order under this provision. First, an order preventing the disposal of assets that might be about to take place and which would prejudice the applicant. Secondly, an order requiring assets that have already been disposed of to be transferred back.

Fair enough on the first order, I suppose it adds another element for the married gentleman regarding the adage 'only invest what you are willing to lose' when it comes to stocks and other paper financial investments. I can't see how this affects gold or physical cash though, even if it known about. If they can't physically get hold of the metal/cash then it doesn't exist as far as a court is concerned, otherwise any woman during a divorce could say that her soon to be ex husband is withholding £100,000 worth of physical bullion that they may have long since sold on or otherwise disposed of no? 

The second order is laughable. Tell me, how does one 'transfer back' cash and assets lost in an unfortunate boating accident/slot machine dog racing gambling addiction gone awry? :P

9 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Any remaining assets still available (eg house) which were to be split 50/50 may now be split 75/25

Perhaps. Having had no experience of the courts in these matters I could not say with any confidence, but I imagine like many things in life that rely on the judgement of others, such a situation would depend very much on who has the best poker face out of the pair seeking settlement. Or perhaps who has hired the best lawyer. One of you is clearly a liar, but which one? 

On Monday, June 06, 2016 at 17:40, forgottenmemorie said:

Very Smart Man.

Food for thought.

So your partner/wife spends/ wastes her money looking and smelling nice. She looks after herself and goes out dinning and having fun, with ????. You on the other hand choose not to "waste" your money like she does. So you don't go out, buy supermarket clothes, don't care what you look like and buy coins instead...... like I said,  shite marriage that won't work because you clearly aren't comparable.

Very Smart Man.

Food for thought.

So your partner/wife spends/ wastes her money looking and smelling nice. She looks after herself and goes out dinning and having fun, with ????. You on the other hand choose not to "waste" your money like she does. So you don't go out, buy supermarket clothes, don't care what you look like and buy coins instead...... like I said,  shite marriage that won't work because you clearly aren't comparable.

Lol. That's all I have to say about that.

Stacker since 2013

Another point on the trust and marriage thing.

I have just found out today (via my wife as it happens:lol:) that a girl who used to work for me (recently moved on to the private sector) has just told her husband she wants a divorce, right out of the blue. There is no one else involved, so she says via her facebook. They are (were) childhood sweethearts and have been together for 15 years, married for 10, with 2 small children aged 6 and 4.

Just a couple of months ago my wife tells me she was gushing out love and affection for her hubby via her facebook on their 10th anniversary, love you forever etc etc

She has shown me his facebook announcement and he's completely gutted as you can imagine.

And people argue with the statement that you can never completely trust someone?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, MCJ said:

You can have all of the nice things she has just a reduced amount.. because you save a little money each month and the buy coins.

(Yolo Wife) Drinking £50-£100 worth of alcohol in a weekend, £120 bottle of perfume, £70 for meals out,  or investing in your future little by little..

Your under the impression that If you buy coins and not tell her you would be neglecting yourself..

Which is not the case..

Archived