• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver kruggerands

Bigchilli

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe these are new from the SA mint. They haven't issued them before, although several rounds with the springbok logo have been available.

The use of the term Krugerrand and the 2017 date, suggests these might be an official offering. ?

i know it says 2017 but any idea on a release date? if there is no mention from the refinery, should we be cautious? I have just messaged them so i will let you know if i get a reply. 

their message does say if i havent heard from them in 5 days they cant comply with my request. dunno what that means lol

Dear W

There is currently no silver krugerrand coins produced by Rand Refinery and SA Mint

Thank you
Nadia

-----Original Message-----
From: randrefinery@sonaruniversal.co.za [mailto:randrefinery@sonaruniversal.co.za]
Sent: 02 June 2016 03:15 PM
To: randrefinery@sonaruniversal.co.za
Subject: Enquiry from Rand Refinery web site

A user of the Rand Refinery web site has submitted the following query :
i have seen a post about silver kruggerands. Are these going to be produced by yourselves? many thanks

@CoinInvest Hi Marcel, we are curious on the Silver Krugs that is now listed on Coininvest. Could you provide us some more details? :) 

Thanks@wonderhandz  hmmm ... I think she is a bit cheeky... she actually hasn't "really" answered your question.  (sorry the sceptical in me lol).

"There is currently no silver krugerrand coins produced by Rand Refinery and SA Mint"

1 minute ago, ApisMellifera said:

@CoinInvest Hi Marcel, we are curious on the Silver Krugs that is now listed on Coininvest. Could you provide us some more details? :) 

Thanks@wonderhandz  hmmm ... I think she is a bit cheeky... she actually hasn't "really" answered your question.  (sorry the sceptical in me lol).

"There is currently no silver krugerrand coins produced by Rand Refinery and SA Mint"

hiya. yes i am a pedant TOO and i noticed it as well, so i have emailed her back asking if there are plans to produce one

55 minutes ago, ApisMellifera said:

I cannot give you any details on the topic (since we do not have them ourselves) but I can tell you this: It is more than a rumor that there will be an official Rand Refinery silver Krug in 2017.

Regarding the picture... Well, actually it is just a guess how the upcoming silver Krug might look like but it will come next year, that is for sure. But I am afraid we will have to wait a little longer for closer details.

coininvest.png

www.coininvest.com - coininvest GmbH

+44-20-369-50335 / +49-69-348-77570 / sales@coininvest.com

coininvest.com specializes in buying and selling gold and silver bars and coins to private individuals as well as institutional investors, financial advisors and resellers. coininvest.com helps their customers to invest in inflation-safe assets, with its offer ranging from 1g to 1000g gold bars topped off with all popular gold and silver coins. coininvest.com offers excellent prices as we purchase directly from mints and producers and act as their official distributor. coininvest.com is your expert for buying, selling, transporting, storing, insuring, sorting and reprocessing precious metals.

@Bigchilli did it originally say pre sale? It's showing just as out of stock right now. I'd hope they wouldn't be taking people money for a coin that is just a rumour!

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

10 hours ago, Bigchilli said:

Yeah was pre sale when i 1st posted

Im pretty sure it said 11-12 days until in stock aswell??

Probably just an error on there part

14 hours ago, sg86 said:

@Bigchilli did it originally say pre sale? It's showing just as out of stock right now. I'd hope they wouldn't be taking people money for a coin that is just a rumour!

You're right guys, sorry for that. It was a mistake on our part. But seriously, @Bigchilli it was just there for a few minutes if I remember it right. You must have been really quick.

coininvest.png

www.coininvest.com - coininvest GmbH

+44-20-369-50335 / +49-69-348-77570 / sales@coininvest.com

coininvest.com specializes in buying and selling gold and silver bars and coins to private individuals as well as institutional investors, financial advisors and resellers. coininvest.com helps their customers to invest in inflation-safe assets, with its offer ranging from 1g to 1000g gold bars topped off with all popular gold and silver coins. coininvest.com offers excellent prices as we purchase directly from mints and producers and act as their official distributor. coininvest.com is your expert for buying, selling, transporting, storing, insuring, sorting and reprocessing precious metals.

• 8 months later...

reviving this post instead of creating a new one...

A proof seems to be coming too: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/2017-Sudafrika-1-oz-Silber-Krugerrand-PP-South-Africa-Silver-Krugerrand-Proof-/172515316825?hash=item282ab6d459:g:kbYAAOSw44BYlgOU

This seller seems to be pretty optimistic on what he thinks to get out of it though (he listed at 599 EUR at first)

On the order form of the SA Mint it states 775 rand as price, which is only slightly more than the "regular" one priced at 600: 

R 775 - 2017 Krugerrand 1oz Fine - Silver Proof
R 600 - 2017 Krugerrand 1oz Fine - Silver Premium Uncirculated

Hope it hits the dealers soon :)

I've contacted Samint on 4 separate occasions over the last few months with a view to buying the silver proof,I even tried the old school fax which they received, but surprise surprise no response from them. Their customer service is abysmal I'd still like to get a proof but I guess it will be from a dealer.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Join ModernCoinMart as we revisit some of the many 2017 FUN Show highlights.

Find exclusive interviews with numismatic experts such as U.S. Mint Former Chief Engraver John Mercanti, ANA President Jeff Garrett, NCG Ancient Coin Expert David Vagi, and more!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2016 at 05:46, Bigchilli said:

Coininvest listing them as a pre sale

Anyone know anything about them?didn't think they came in silver

https://www.coininvest.com/en/silver-coins/krugerrand/1-oz-krugerrand-silver-2017/

The price quoted on the South African Mint website for the business strike is 600 Rand, which is about $45, and the proof is even more. That is pretty steep for a "bullion" coin mint direct, but I wonder if it being the first of its kind is driving price up on that Coin Invest website to even more absurd levels. Or maybe they've all been sold out already....very peculiar

5 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

The price quoted on the South African Mint website for the business strike is 600 Rand, which is about $45, and the proof is even more. That is pretty steep for a "bullion" coin mint direct, but I wonder if it being the first of its kind is driving price up on that Coin Invest website to even more absurd levels. Or maybe they've all been sold out already....very peculiar

Yes they are going to release a limited mintage of silver Krugerrands.

I agree, they are very expensive.  I've heard rumours of grave concerns regarding the quality of the sample coins that have been seen so far.

9 hours ago, SilverSniper said:

Yes they are going to release a limited mintage of silver Krugerrands.

I agree, they are very expensive.  I've heard rumours of grave concerns regarding the quality of the sample coins that have been seen so far.

The website says 1 million...I agree that is limited compared to other bullion coins, but it is an awkward quantity for me. Too much to be considered "rare" or for a bullion coin to command that price, and too little minted considering it is taking the gold coin design and reusing it without any indication it will change. Better than the 40 million ASEs that will be produced this year though!

Archived