• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice how to allocate £3000/4000 for teenage son

grace2much

For me the winner is....

Gold, in any form, for the most part. Silver is a pain to move on.

Buy over at least 1 year to spread the risk. Personally I think (hope) it will be heading back to below £800 per oz later in the year.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would only buy current-year semi-numis, especially Pandas & Lunars IIs.

The risk in placing too much faith in these high premium series is that in time, other competing series will fully mature and establish themselves as competition, and the premium on all the various series will even themselves out.  I personally don't like the Pandas at all, and think that the with the change from 1oz -> 30g they might have shot themselves in the foot.

Guys what can I say.......thank you so much!!!!!  The help and advice I've been given has been amazing. I am truly grateful, my son and i feel blessed at the sharing of all your generous experience with us.

What next, well I am going to make a small order via one of the European dealers for 1 coin each of a range of generic and semi-numis  maybe around 10-15 coins so we can both feel and look at them and perhaps get a better idea of what we like before we buy in larger quantities.  Someone mentioned this in a post and its happened, to begin with I started out  doing the heavy lifting of research for my son but has grown into me catching the bug as well:D Looks like I,ll be investing in coins as well.....

I will start a few more threads  over the next few days with more specific questions as in my enthusiasm I jumped from one question to another and this thread has got very long.  

But before I do that one last request for ideas on the semi-numis we should buy, I know at that at the end of the day its a personal preference thing but still I would value your input as well.

Once I get my coins I'll do a final update on this thread to let you know our initial direction. I say "initial" because no doubt we will change as we get more involved and as we learn more.

As I said before thanks.....

14 minutes ago, grace2much said:

Guys what can I say.......thank you so much!!!!!  The help and advice I've been given has been amazing. I am truly grateful, my son and i feel blessed at the sharing of all your generous experience with us.

What next, well I am going to make a small order via one of the European dealers for 1 coin each of a range of generic and semi-numis  maybe around 10-15 coins so we can both feel and look at them and perhaps get a better idea of what we like before we buy in larger quantities.  Someone mentioned this in a post and its happened, to begin with I started out  doing the heavy lifting of research for my son but has grown into me catching the bug as well:D Looks like I,ll be investing in coins as well.....

I will start a few more threads  over the next few days with more specific questions as in my enthusiasm I jumped from one question to another and this thread has got very long.  

But before I do that one last request for ideas on the semi-numis we should buy, I know at that at the end of the day its a personal preference thing but still I would value your input as well.

Once I get my coins I'll do a final update on this thread to let you know our initial direction. I say "initial" because no doubt we will change as we get more involved and as we learn more.

As I said before thanks.....

My personal favourite Semi Numi's are the 2016 1oz Isle of Man Angel and the 2016 1oz Lunar Colourized Monkey King.

They are available from GOLDSILVER.BE who have great prices and quick shipping.

Buy semi-nums that you can get an accurate mintage figure for and show robust signs of collectors buying in the secondary market. There are many; perth mint is a good place to start. Beware of series that have become popular with consequent ramping up of mintages eg silver pandas, elephants.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

22 minutes ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

My personal favourite Semi Numi's are the 2016 1oz Isle of Man Angel and the 2016 1oz Lunar Colourized Monkey King.

They are available from GOLDSILVER.BE who have great prices and quick shipping.

Thanks!  We like both is this the colour  lunar you meant?  We never really though about colour so this will help us, see, touch and decide.

Just as an off topic......we have been on  summer holidays a few times to Westendoff in Austria, beautiful clean and wonderful views. I'm sure you know it well:)

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Buy semi-nums that you can get an accurate mintage figure for and show robust signs of collectors buying in the secondary market. There are many; perth mint is a good place to start. Beware of series that have become popular with consequent ramping up of mintages eg silver pandas, elephants.

Good point I read this somewhere but had completely forgotten so a timely reminder.  Can a gently push you for a recommendation.......please:D

Perth lunars, kooks and panda. the latter will do well in the future I believe especially if they produce a couple of nice designs in the next few years. they have reduced the mintage down to 300k from "unlimited", although there are only a couple of years that exceeded 400k. the kooks are now at 500k, lunars still 300k and have been for a while (all series 2 and sold out every year).

pandas are still a buy while popular, you won't lose on them.

elephants still, maybe.

brits still make a few quid in a couple of years, so won't lose, but what they'll be like after 5 or 6 years of the current same boring design?

13 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Perth lunars, kooks and panda. the latter will do well in the future I believe especially if they produce a couple of nice designs in the next few years. they have reduced the mintage down to 300k from "unlimited", although there are only a couple of years that exceeded 400k. the kooks are now at 500k, lunars still 300k and have been for a while (all series 2 and sold out every year).

pandas are still a buy while popular, you won't lose on them.

elephants still, maybe.

brits still make a few quid in a couple of years, so won't lose, but what they'll be like after 5 or 6 years of the current same boring design?

A noob question but how do I find out the mintage, at the Perth Mint?

You mentioned brits is this these ones?   I see there is a 2016 and 2015 (the two at the top of page) at near the same price would one be a better possible investment over the other.?

So with semi-numis is the plan to buy the new one each year of ones we like and if possible with like the brits here you buy as many years back as you want or feel are reasonable value.  

59 minutes ago, grace2much said:

Thanks!  We like both is this the colour  lunar you meant?  We never really though about colour so this will help us, see, touch and decide.

Just as an off topic......we have been on  summer holidays a few times to Westendoff in Austria, beautiful clean and wonderful views. I'm sure you know it well:)

1-oz-silver-monkey-king-2016-colored.jpg

This is the one I meant.

I wouldn't worry to much about colourized coins as I have bought them for my niece and nephew in the past and they have done pretty well since I bought them.

beware colourised coins. In general, they aren't as popular as plain silver and don't keep their value as well.

Are you sure Steve? . Every time I look at sold items on eBay the colourised coins (especially the bullion coins that have been colourised) always seem to go for quite a bit more money than the bog standard plain ones.

And I should point out that this year's major winner from the Royal mint is a colourised silver 50p with a rabbit on it.

Maybe the market for coloured coins is growing.

Food for thought.

colourised coins seams less skillful and have a flatness

to their appearance. they may look good at first, but

when the novelty wears off it may not last the test of time.

I think the peter rabbit coin is only up on impulse buying

which is suited for a colourised coin. I also think colourised

coins are less suitable as an investment choice.

HH

colourised coins seams less skillful and have a flatness

to their appearance. they may look good at first, but

when the novelty wears off it may not last the test of time.

I think the peter rabbit coin is only up on impulse buying

which is suited for a colourised coin. I also think colourised

coins are less suitable as an investment choice.

HH

People have been creating and buying and selling colourised coin since the days of Queen Victoria. I'm just wondering when you think the "novelty" of coloured coins will wear off.

I'm surprised at people not thinking outside the box here. Do you only want to invest in a coin that only appeals to the 0.001% of the world that collects coins. Or something that appeals to the general public.

After all , If you had gone to the bank and picked up £100 of Kew garden 50p's when they came out, you could sell them today for at least £6k. You are NEVER going to get that rate of return on a silver panda coin. Well not unless Silver goes to about £6k an ounce

1 minute ago, HighlandTiger said:

After all , If you had gone to the bank and picked up £100 of Kew garden 50p's when they came out, you could sell them today for at least £6k. You are NEVER going to get that rate of return on a silver panda coin. Well not unless Silver goes to about £6k an ounce

Think the Kew Gardens were only available in presentation packs, that's why It was such a low mintage

Think the Kew Gardens were only available in presentation packs, that's why It was such a low mintage

Sorry CF but I'm afraid you are wrong there. The Kew 50p was created for general circulation and not just in presentation packs. It's just a low mintage that's all.

The thing was that until a story came out about it being the lowest mintage coin in current circulation no one was paying any attention to it Once the news story broke then everyone wanted one.

The daft thing is, that its not even the lowest mintage 50p ever issued. That accolade goes to the 1992 EEC Single market  50p which at only 109,000 is around half the mintage figure of the Kew Garden one. But it also goes for about £30 a well today. 

50_92e.jpg

2 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

People have been creating and buying and selling colourised coin since the days of Queen Victoria. I'm just wondering when you think the "novelty" of coloured coins will wear off.

I'm surprised at people not thinking outside the box here. Do you only want to invest in a coin that only appeals to the 0.001% of the world that collects coins. Or something that appeals to the general public.

and if you can complete this investment strategy with a working crystal

ball?(keep to the point, colourised coins are not the only coins that are

traded by 99% of the general public)

colourised coins are poorer quality coins. how often do you see

collectors brag about their colourised coins to fellow collectors?

(for the record, I'm referring exactly to modern colourised coins

and not naturally toned older coins or ancients)

colourised coins same as the one recommended can make

people money by flipping them. flipping is not an investment, it's

trading. it's still difficult to gauge what the return will be on longer

term investments of these coins and that makes it unsuitable for

investment, especially to people new to coins. saving may be

boring compared to gambling.

HH

4 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

Are you sure Steve? . Every time I look at sold items on eBay the colourised coins (especially the bullion coins that have been colourised) always seem to go for quite a bit more money than the bog standard plain ones.

And I should point out that this year's major winner from the Royal mint is a colourised silver 50p with a rabbit on it.

Maybe the market for coloured coins is growing.

Food for thought.

I haven't looked at every scenario, just an impression I have had while browsing prices. Do you mean coins coloured by a third party? I have no knowledge of these.

You have to look at mintage and original price. The general theme of this discussion is about (a) bog standard bullion coins and (b) cheaper semi-nums. If you look at the colourised versions of these coins, they are not as popular as the standard ones. Often proof versions though.

There does seen to be an increasing tendancy to produce colourised specials and some of these do very well but it's a small market and I would very much doubt they will stand the test of time. The Peter Rabbit phenomenon certainly was a turn-up and may be a one-off, the RM accidently latched on to a very popular theme. It just shows you what can happen when something goes outside the closed stacker/numismatic realm into the wider world.

Archived