• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best Semi Numismatic Coins of 2016 for investment

FriedrichVonHayek

I am pretty keen on the 1oz Isle of Man Angel and the 1oz Monkey King and I have also bought a tube of the 2oz Queens Beasts.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for reasonably priced coins that could have medium to long term investment potential.

I am thinking of maybe buying a few 1oz Rwanda Meerkats as this series seems to be quite popular.

33 minutes ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I am thinking of maybe buying a few 1oz Rwanda Meerkats as this series seems to be quite popular.

Since 2013 the BU numbers produced have jumped from 5k to 10k, but I still feel as if these are worth a punt as an investment 

Also a couple of things to bear in mind. One; don't remove from the Mayer's mint foils and secondly, if you are going to buy more than say four, try and get them as they were distributed from the mint, this is with the foils attached to each other. Particularly among German numismatists, they will pay over the odds for the coins when provided attached. As anyone who has bought any of these will attest, the serration used is fairly flimsy and more often than not these are recieved by the end customer as already being broken up or part detached. However it is possible to get these packaged correctly and in order to receive sealed multiples 

Beasts quite probably will be good. Is there a mintage limit on Angels? They are great looking coins I am not so sure about investment potential though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decent thoughts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2014/05/28/3-ways-to-profit-from-collecting-alternative-investments/#2e6c795d3654

In the end, the purpose of money once you’ve got past Maslov’s basic necessities, is pleasure. Not many investments have a secret dividend of pleasure, but collecting what gives you a kick is a real money dividend. What is more, it will help you dig in to learn and become an expert. Expertise is just a function of engagement and time, but the output is money.

Maslov's basic needs for those who wonder

http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/downloads/0495570540_162121.pdf

I agree, purchased tubes of beasts and sheets of angels and pandas. I've just found a seller of reasonably priced Rwanda coins so going to get a few sheets. However my 2013 coins from the series have brown spots so that was holding me back.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

. Is there a mintage limit on Angels? ? They are great looking coins I am not so sure about investment potential though

According to the Pobjoy Mint it will be 100k...  (For now? You never know ey...) <_<

You can get for about £19 incl vat direct from Pobjoy; Dealers and e-bay are selling them between £23-26

What do you think?

IOM.JPG

I like the look of the Pobjoy Angel coin but is it just going to be a one off as I think getting in early on coins that are going to be part of a series is the way to go, a few years down the line when people decide to get in on collecting the series then the early ones start to sell for more.

On 27/05/2016 at 18:24, Scuzzle said:

I like the look of the Pobjoy Angel coin but is it just going to be a one off as I think getting in early on coins that are going to be part of a series is the way to go, a few years down the line when people decide to get in on collecting the series then the early ones start to sell for more.

Not sure if you know but its not the first time they've minted this coin subject. I've attached my 1995 5oz, I challenge you to buy one :D. I guess interest just depends on the individual, i wanted this coin enough to find it, I'm sure there are others out there who are the same. The 2016 coin is still quite brilliant for the price i think.

@ApisMellifera It can be found much cheaper in europe, i saw it the other day for 19euro :)

@ChrisSilver Why does one image thumbnail and not the other? Filesize limt?

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

Just now, sg86 said:

Not sure if you know but its not the first time they've minted this coin subject. I've attached my 1995 5oz, I challenge you to buy one :D. I guess interest just depends on the individual, i wanted this coin enough to find it, I'm sure there are others out there who are the same. The 2016 coin is still quite brilliant for the price i think.

@ApisMellifera It can be found much cheaper in europe, i saw it the other day for 19euro :)

IMG_3998.JPG

I've seen the gold ones from 10 years ago but I'm not up on the silver ones admittedly.

3 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

I've seen the gold ones from 10 years ago but I'm not up on the silver ones admittedly.

I think this was the first time they minted the design, may be wrong. For a 20year old coin the condition is fantastic!

The Gold Sovereign

• Founder & Administrator

@sg86 both images appear as thumbnails and are responsive to the size of the window open. You can click on the images to view maximum size. You can double click when editing to change the size of the thumbnail.

I have no idea why the first photo is only displaying as a thumbnail of 100px by 100px and it won't let me edit it by double clicking it, it says maximum size is 100x100. All I can suggest is to delete it and try uploading again.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Me personally, i would go with Pandas and Lunar's. 

There are plenty of new series released every year and so its a complete punt to which is best for long term. Im my experience, lunars, pandas, kooks, britt and elephants always carry a decent premium after a few years. Just think back to zombucks a few years back and everyone rushing to buy them. I'll bet my bottom £ that a x2 2016 brits will sell for more than a 2oz queens beast in 10 years. 

Forget about what is best to buy, when the spot price shoots up in a few years, the premium % over spot will shrink and it will not matter. Buy what you like buddy, as long as your stacking/collecting, thats all that is important. 

Keep on stacking, 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered an angel for equivalent (delivery included) of £19 locally to see what it looks like in hand. 100,000 mintage and a first 1ozer in any series. Cant go too far wrong with that long term.

• 5 months later...

You can forget about anything likely to milkspot developing into a premium series, so I guess that mainly leaves Perth mint and Pandas. I personally really love the kooks so that is what I keep buying quite a lot of, but I also get some pandas and other series too so long as they're not extortionately overpriced. The bulk of my stack is still generic brits, maples, philharmonics etc. I stick to official bullion - no bars, poured, or rounds for me.

9 minutes ago, vand said:

You can forget about anything likely to milkspot developing into a premium series, so I guess that mainly leaves Perth mint and Pandas. I personally really love the kooks so that is what I keep buying quite a lot of, but I also get some pandas and other series too so long as they're not extortionately overpriced. The bulk of my stack is still generic brits, maples, philharmonics etc. I stick to official bullion - no bars, poured, or rounds for me.

The Perth Mint consistently produce top quality coins,some of the other well known mints should be embarrassed of the low quality milk-spotted garbage they produce.

The Royal Canadian Mint seems to be a serial offender and I would never buy any of their products again.

13 hours ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

The Perth Mint consistently produce top quality coins,some of the other well known mints should be embarrassed of the low quality milk-spotted garbage they produce.

The Royal Canadian Mint seems to be a serial offender and I would never buy any of their products again.

Agree, same goes for the Royal Mint. It's such a shame too, because their coin designs are so striking. I love the birds of prey and the UK Lunar designs, but I won't stack them heavily when there is every chance they will spot.

That said, I have seen the Kangaroos with  milkspots, so even the Perth Mint are not beyond reproach.

Pandas, Somali Elephants, Rwanda Meerkats, 2 OZ Lunar and a new acquaintance: Wedged-Tailed Eagle from Perth. 

The last one I got for the same price as ASE - which is quite impressing for a coin that is superior in quality, comes in a capsule, 50 K and a series that changes motif from year to year. 

Archived