• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any Other non PM Investments?

Does anybody else invest in other products besides PM's, such as artwork, stocks, wine, property, cars, books, antiques, collectables etc..?

I recently purchased a signed, limited edition, original print http://pejac.es/product/sepukku/

Pejac seems to have a very good marketing team behind him so hopefully he becomes very well known within a year or two.

I like his work but if all goes to plan, I hope to sell the print for minimum 10x more than the purchase price within the next couple of years.

I also like rare first edition books.

What else do you invest in?

Unfortunately, other than an ISA and a property, I don't have any other investments.

I'd like to invest in something else, but I'm quite obsessive so is soon becomes quite intense.

I'd like to start investing in shares, but it's difficult and costly if you are only investing a small amount each month.

Stacker since 2013

Cryptocurrencies are easy to get into and even more fun to watch the charts than precious metals. A bitcoin ATM has just opened around the corner from me making it easy to pop in and get a few satoshis along with my grocery shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cryptocurrencies are easy to get into and even more fun to watch the charts than precious metals. A bitcoin ATM has just opened around the corner from me making it easy to pop in and get a few satoshis along with my grocery shopping.

I was too busy ripping on bitcoin when they were first introduced. Perhaps I should have been mining instead of putting up YouTube vids saying how it will crash (which got banned due to a copyright claim by Viacom after 87,000 views a couple of years ago)......"And..... it's gone". Bitcoin ATM's? I'm googling that right now!

I invest in stocks and pretty much anything else if I think it's gonna go up in value, books, coloured vinyl, recently a lot of bands put out a limited run of records when they release a new album, if you can get hold of those they're a winner.  

not really, i will pick up brass/copper if its below scrap value and save it in a big box though.

oh and food, stockpiling great deals wont ever make me rich but it beats inflation and saves a bit that i can put towards other things.

I was too busy ripping on bitcoin when they were first introduced. Perhaps I should have been mining instead of putting up YouTube vids saying how it will crash (which got banned due to a copyright claim by Viacom after 87,000 views a couple of years ago)......"And..... it's gone". Bitcoin ATM's? I'm googling that right now!

Yes, people tend to either love or hate bitcoin. I'm definitely a lover mainly due to the incredible potential it has for positive change in years to come. I think the whole cryptocurrency thing is not easy to understand and it takes a lot of study to get to grips with it. I always love talking about it but I've shyed away from it here because it's a silver forum and also discussions tend to get heated, but I think it's fair to point out its potential as an investment. You can get into it with as little as £5 and it's fairly easy (if anyone is interested I can guide you through a safe way). Just as food for thought I 'bought' some more bitcoins two weeks ago and their value has increased 45.7% since then. That's crazier than silver...

I invest in stocks and pretty much anything else if I think it's gonna go up in value, books, coloured vinyl, recently a lot of bands put out a limited run of records when they release a new album, if you can get hold of those they're a winner.  

Nice. The only vinyl I've bought is a mint condition (or very close to) White Album, with a reasonably low number a few years back. I'm pretty sure that's a standard record for collectors. I might look out for some new releases.

Nice. The only vinyl I've bought is a mint condition (or very close to) White Album, with a reasonably low number a few years back. I'm pretty sure that's a standard record for collectors. I might look out for some new releases.

if it's an original pressing looks like you can get quite a bit for it.

I'd like to get into artwork, can definitely be a big money maker if you pick the right artist, nice little side project.

http://www.popsike.com/Beatles-White-album-White-Album-No-0007321-PMC-7068-Mono-November-1968/161011575147.html%C2'>

Yes, people tend to either love or hate bitcoin. I'm definitely a lover mainly due to the incredible potential it has for positive change in years to come. I think the whole cryptocurrency thing is not easy to understand and it takes a lot of study to get to grips with it. I always love talking about it but I've shyed away from it here because it's a silver forum and also discussions tend to get heated, but I think it's fair to point out its potential as an investment. You can get into it with as little as £5 and it's fairly easy (if anyone is interested I can guide you through a safe way). Just as food for thought I 'bought' some more bitcoins two weeks ago and their value has increased 45.7% since then. That's crazier than silver...

Bitcoins now back to $650, I lost interest when it crashed but looks like it's getting back on its feet, such a crazy investment, I have some litecoin that I'm just sitting on, I was hoping they'd be the new bitcoin but the haven't moved for a while, definitely worth a punt though.  

• Founder & Administrator

I am glad you started the topic. I was going to ask the same question.

I don't have much spare capital now, so the majority of all the money I have is in silver.

I have invested in crowd funding via fundingcircle.com in the past, but only £500. Returns used to be high, now the UK Govenment lends to businesses through fundingcircle, and the rates you can get are lower, still quite good though. I sold my loan parts and purchased silver with the money instead.

I have also invested a few hundred in a couple of start ups from crowdcube, and seedrs, yet to receive a return, and may never.

I have in the past traded US stocks and indicies, as well as a couple of UK companies. Through spread betting, and a futures account. I wasn't very successful at this.

I am now limiting my investments to precious metals (whilst they are cheap) (though I will probably still collect silver coins even when the price rockets), my businesses, and offshore property. Business has the potential to make more than buying and holding precious metals ever could. I have several business ideas, and would also like to invest in property building projects etc.

I also believe wine to be a good investment, alongside precious metals, buying, holding and then selling good quality wine can give good returns (if you don't drink it) but I don't have the money to invest in expensive wine now. In the future when and if I have spare surplus cash, I would like to invest in some antiques, including something made from silver. I will eventually get a whole dinning set made from various antique silver pieces, and dine like a king.

There are only really 2 types of investments. Ones which provide income, and ones which you hope to gain from an increase in value. I like precious metals a lot (especially at these levels) but long term I believe it is best to have the majority of your investments producing income. I.e property. Now nearly all of my money is invested into silver but in the future this will likely drop to 10% of net worth, and will be kept as a form of insurance.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I used to invest heavily into shares but was forced to blow 250K of my portfolio away by my x wife :angry: I now just buy coins for pleasure and invest in my son and daughter's education.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think I might start investing in Uranium.  At 130USD/kg I think it's good value, and it's a metal after all….  perhaps uranium coins are in order for my next business venture!  Anyone interested?  B)

I think I might start investing in Uranium. At 130USD/kg I think it's good value, and it's a metal after all…. perhaps uranium coins are in order for my next business venture! Anyone interested? B)

You are President Ahmadinejad and I claim my five pounds, thank you.

I've invested in all-sorts of things started out at 10 with a kettle wheel barrow spade cleaning the Ice off old dears paths taking the councils gravel that was stored 1.5 miles from my home.

I buy art from young artists only paintings I like because then if they they are not worth anything later I at least like them.

I was in bit coin at $0.75 but sold the lot  now I have bought back in at $350.  Same with Lite coin.  But lost on other cryptos.  There are a lot of sharks in the crypto arena BWW .

I invest in stocks, commodities, bank accounts 

I was advised by a family member many years ago who worked at the London stock market for over 30 years,  Only invest when the markets are low, there is never a tip without a tap, the rich always get there money out in time they are in the know,(he was talking about the ultra rich here) and never invest in a hole in the ground, I've seen more tanks done in than Rommel did in the war (this was a phrase used a lot a the time).  

I've used this advise  over the years to good effect, not making a fortune but keeping clear of big loses and stepping in at about the right time when others are running for cover and stepping out when the crowd are steaming in.

Note I am not investing in Bonds, IMO only an idiot would buy a Bond at those returns, the risks far out way reward.  Remember the Thatcher Government had to pay if I remember right between 10-15% so why should the Cameron Government only pay 0.5%  does anyone really believe we are in a substantially better position today.  

Good advice pipers.

I'm planning to invest in stocks.  I'm not planning to rush into it though, I'll probably take a good year or two of studying before I start investing decent capital into it.  I'll take your advice of only investing when the markets are low! 

I've done some reading and bonds don't seem like the worse idea.  At present they do, but at other times they can even out-perform the stock market.  It all depends on too many variables I say.  A smart investor, like you said, knows when to get out, or knows when to change their investment portfolio depending upon the economic environment of the day.  So some days bonds can work well, other days not.  Same with stocks, gold / silver and every other investment too.  You have to know when to start investing more heavily in one asset over another etc, constantly changing your portfolio weightings.  That's how the rich stay rich. 

The reason why the bonds are so low at present (from how I understand it at least) is because the government is obviously implementing a monetary policy of low interest rates to try and stimulate the economy and stimulate investment in the economy i.e. by encouraging investing in businesses via stocks etc.  Normally you find when stocks perform well bonds go down.  When stocks perform badly, bonds go up.  That's it from a simplistic point of view at least.

I have just bought two properties one for each of my sons, so an income for 20-25 years or so.

I am up 6k on my shares, very tempted to sell and buy PM's.

I have ISA's and NS&I investments also.

Oh and I have 4kw solar PV array on my roof which generates around 3MW of power per year, and gives me around £650-700 return for 20 years.

And last but not least a shit load of PM's.

I have a large collection of antique and rare and collectable pad locks! :D

Here is one of my favourites, and pne of my best investments so far - although it isn't worth a fortune it was a good buy! :D

It is hand made from 2 silver threpny bits!

post-8-0-50866600-1397596996_thumb.jpg

The reason why the bonds are so low at present (from how I understand it at least) is because the government is obviously implementing a monetary policy of low interest rates to try and stimulate the economy and stimulate investment in the economy i.e. by encouraging investing in businesses via stocks etc.  Normally you find when stocks perform well bonds go down.  When stocks perform badly, bonds go up.  That's it from a simplistic point of view at least.

No Jez,

the reason interest rates are so low is because if they were higher the Banks would be bust.  Remember all the quantitative easing.  All of it went to keep the banks afloat and to the financial markets, none of it has come into the real economy yet but it will. Remember a Bond is an issue of debt to the Government who pays you back the amount loaned plus interest. If the Banks didn't buy back the Bonds with the quantitative easing money they so kindly received I believe interest rates would be a lot higher.  

In normal circumstances when the stock market is high Bonds cost more eg give a higher return.  they both cannot be right, one is wrong and i just believe its interest rates this is my opinion I may be wrong.  One more note when interest rates rise fast no one can control them.

Hope this helps 

No Jez,

the reason interest rates are so low is because if they were higher the Banks would be bust.  Remember all the quantitative easing.  All of it went to keep the banks afloat and to the financial markets, none of it has come into the real economy yet but it will. Remember a Bond is an issue of debt to the Government who pays you back the amount loaned plus interest. If the Banks didn't buy back the Bonds with the quantitative easing money they so kindly received I believe interest rates would be a lot higher.  

In normal circumstances when the stock market is high Bonds cost more eg give a higher return.  they both cannot be right, one is wrong and i just believe its interest rates this is my opinion I may be wrong.  One more note when interest rates rise fast no one can control them.

Hope this helps 

There are many ways to control interest rates though?  From how I understand it all at least (feel free to correct me :) ) is that traditionally reserve/central banks set interest rates by cash rates (fund rates) and money supply, the banks in turn change their interest rates accordingly (at least this is how it works in Australia).

I understand that govs / central banks are funding banks (hence the low cash rates by central banks, and specific fiscal policies by govs), banks can then borrow much larger sums of money from the reserves via low cash rates.  I think the confusing part is that I'm referring more to the Aus economy and you're talking about the US/UK economies in how they're controlling it via quantitive easing.  Since interest rates in certain countries had declined to near zero in the aftermath of the GFC, the scope for further monetary easing through lower policy rates became very limited, hence why quantitive easing (mass printing and purchasing of bonds) and other asset purchase programs were adopted.  

Also how after the GFC interest cuts didn't necessarily translate to proportionate bank cuts.  Also how more consumers started saving as their was low consumer confidence after the GFC.  Hence why quantitate easing was basically needed because traditional methods weren't working.

In the end it's the same goal though, to lower or maintain lower long-term interest rates to "stimulate the economy".  That is suppose to be the whole point isn't it?  And why these types of measures are implemented during recessionary periods?  So the point of this intentional lowering of interest rates, is not just about lending to banks to keep them afloat, but it's also suppose to encourage investment.  Because there will be less incentive to leave your money in banks accounts earning low interest rates, and move it into other investments such as property and the stock market instead (not just people, but this also applies to investment funds, companies etc).  This is why house prices usually always go up in low interest rate periods (as they have done in Australia, UK, Canada etc) and stock markets have risen in the past 2-3 years.   

Regarding bonds, I think the confusing part is if we're talking about bond prices or bond yields.  When interest rates go down bond prices go up, but bond yields go down.  So when interest rates go down, stock prices usually go up (and stock capital gain yields up), but bond yields go down (despite bond prices going up).  That's what I was trying to say earlier.  

Obviously I'm still no expert however and don't claim to be.  Like I said earlier if anything I'm saying is wrong please don't hesitate to correct me.  It's important that I learn haha. 

Hi, maybe your compatriots book, Debunking Economics (Steve Keen) may help. Though it goes into detail it is a must read the second edition is better.

One more thing the Bank of England last month admitted for the first time, it was the lending Banks that increased most of the money supply not the central Banks,  by way of lending. 

the most important thing to remember when investing is read as

much as you can and stick to what you know.

considering the risk with america's current last quarter -0.1 growth(yes thats 

negative) and massive $17T debt and growing.

people holding shares long should be cautious with the stock

markets valued so high. it's possible to short the ftse 100 in 

an isa via the etf xuks. be extremely careful, whilst it has been

stable before, the potential new crisis maybe the most extreme to

hit us in recent times. if crazy happens then all of the rule books

get thrown out and new ones written. exaggerating? let's hope so,

whilst preparing for the worse.

word of caution for those holding it, fresnillo went down during the last

2007-9 crisis. the only ones to hold it's own was randgold and

maybe telecom plus(zero gain or loss).

HH

Archived