• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's a good price for 100g silver bar

creative

Hi,

I'm new to silver and only own a few coins, but I fancy getting a silver bar but I'm not 100% on the premium on bars vs coins so what would be a decent price for a new 100g bar? I'm not bothered on how it looks or where its from, I'm just interested in one for its silver content.

The best I've seen so far is £59.99 including postage here, but is that a good price?

https://www.silvertrader.uk/product/sheffield-hallmarked-100-gram-silver-bullion-bar/

Any advice or link on the forum would be great :)

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Apologies i meant a 'fair' price. I can't seem to find any other bars of around that size that are cheaper. Is there a higher premium on bars?

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Poured bars seem to carry a premium i would be happy paying around £20/oz like Danny said.

So anything under £60 delivered is OK. I'd rather pay less but you pays your money  you takes your choice.

Sometimes its nice to own what tickles your fancy.

5 minutes ago, SilverPirate said:

Poured bars seem to carry a premium i would be happy paying around £20/oz like Danny said.

So anything under £60 delivered is OK. I'd rather pay less but you pays your money  you takes your choice.

Sometimes its nice to own what tickles your fancy.

Yeah I just fancy one, I have a few coins and just ordered the 2oz "The Queens Beasts" coin, but I just wanted a block of silver lol. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, SilverPirate said:

That one also looks good too! Don't know which one to go for now.

3 minutes ago, creative said:

Yeah I just fancy one, I have a few coins and just ordered the 2oz "The Queens Beasts" coin, but I just wanted a block of silver lol. Thanks.

That one also looks good too! Don't know which one to go for now.

What about asking Silverstan to do you a bespoke 100gram bar?

3 minutes ago, SilverPirate said:

What about asking Silverstan to do you a bespoke 100gram bar?

Yeah, I just searched the forum and came across his website. That sounds like a plan, thanks!

18 minutes ago, KDave said:

https://www.silberling.de/en/Silver/Silver-Bar-Cook-Islands-100-Gram.html 

These coin bars are cheap. No VAT. You need to pay in euros though, might not add up that well for just one when the transfer fees and postage are included?

Yeah it seemed to good to be true it works out to be €75.10 which is just over £60, but thank you for posting

Well I have to agree I thought the prices look too good. Have not purchased from them personally. I am sure I have read somewhere on the forum that someone has purchased from them before can't remember which post though.

Looks far too good to be true!

Tax saying its 7.46. Making the bar 37.31, or 37p a gram, or £11.47 an OZ. You cant even get Coins from STG for that

Looks very suspicious

That's not what I'm seeing.

I see £52 including tax.

Stacker since 2013

Says £44.56 including Tax @ 20%

I know you need to add on delivery for this but for a 100g bar £44.56 including Tax seems too good.

Oh yes, so it does, I misread.

That's interesting as I work about 5 minutes walk away from them.

May pop up at lunchtime.

Stacker since 2013

Subtotal£44.56
Shipping and Handling Fee£12.79
Tax Total(20%)£9.56
Total: £57.35

I see it as £44.56 inc VAT gor bar and Special Delivery charge of £12.79 with a break down of

100g Bar £37.14 with £7.43 VAT = £44.56

Special delivery £10.66 with VAT £2.13 = £12.79

5 minutes ago, Danny-boy said:

Oh yes, so it does, I misread.

That's interesting as I work about 5 minutes walk away from them.

May pop up at lunchtime.

Go have a visit. I would prefer to buy though you then their website! lol

I just don't get it at all - why on earth are people looking at bars when the cost/oz being quoted is HIGHER than all of the low/mid range bullion coins on STG and other dealers? You can easily pick up bullion for under £14/oz.

Even that Cook Island bar works out at about £15.45/oz.

A good price IMO is spot+50p. That you can't get that in the UK doesn't make the prices we have to pay "good".

In the US where you can pick up bars for close to spot, I can understand, but here it makes no sense at all!

1 hour ago, vand said:

I just don't get it at all - why on earth are people looking at bars when the cost/oz being quoted is HIGHER than all of the low/mid range bullion coins on STG and other dealers? You can easily pick up bullion for under £14/oz.

Even that Cook Island bar works out at about £15.45/oz.

A good price IMO is spot+50p. That you can't get that in the UK doesn't make the prices we have to pay "good".

In the US where you can pick up bars for close to spot, I can understand, but here it makes no sense at all!

Because people want a bar. 

Because its their money that they can spend how they wish.

Because some people prefer the look/feel of a bar.

Because some people are not collecting purely on what is closest to spot/what will appreciate the most over time.

Because some people "gasp" collect PM's as a hobby, not simply to make a return in the future.

Believe it or not, people have a multitude of different reasons why they collect/invest in PM's. It might not be for the same reasons you do. 

39 minutes ago, lightjaw said:

Because people want a bar. 

Because its their money that they can spend how they wish.

Because some people prefer the look/feel of a bar.

Because some people are not collecting purely on what is closest to spot/what will appreciate the most over time.

Because some people "gasp" collect PM's as a hobby, not simply to make a return in the future.

Believe it or not, people have a multitude of different reasons why they collect/invest in PM's. It might not be for the same reasons you do. 

No one is saying that it isn't their own choice, but as PRICE is clearly important to the OP then I thought I would make a salient point about the relative cost of bars vs bullion!

I guess you could buy up the bullion, melt it down and make your own bars. In fact I hear that this may be what the Chinese have been doing.

Archived