• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10 gold britannia designs

Silveraaron

IMO, i wouldnt expect their value to increase over the years, other than the spot price increasing. I dont know the cheapest outlet for 1/10 britannias. But Chards sell them, when they have them in stock,  for 20% over spot. Most dealers will offer you 2% under spot if you want to sell. Half sovereigns can be bought around 5% over spot and sold to dealers for 2% under. So for a pure spot increase sell, the half sovereign is a better buy.

But if you like em, why not collect them.

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/tenthbritanniasdates.html

My personal favourite is the 2007.

Not sure anyone really collects the 1/10 gold Britannia's, I wouldn't personally get one expecting them to rise in premium

The 2003 is a nice design though

I collect them and have the #1 NGC registry set right now.

They are underrated rather than valueless and have done upside as the mintages are very small.

21 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

They are underrated rather than valueless and have done upside as the mintages are very small.

Indeed, but mintage doesn't mean much without demand, have to have a favourable mixture of both 

Currently there doesn't seem much demand, that may change in the future but there seem safer bets out there if the goal is purely to get something that will likely rise in numismatic value  

Comparing the more modern unique proof sovereign designs to the unique proof gold Britannias there's a clear winner there in terms of premium even with the much higher mintage.

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Indeed, but mintage doesn't mean much without demand, have to have a favourable mixture of both 

Currently there doesn't seem much demand, that may change in the future but there seem safer bets out there if the goal is purely to get something that will likely rise in numismatic value  

Comparing the more modern unique proof sovereign designs to the unique proof gold Britannias there's a clear winner there in terms of premium even with the much higher mintage.

Yes the special year sovereigns are a good choice and will rise in value. There is more interest and recognition there. As for Britannias I am not looking to dramatically expand what I have. I sold 5 duplicates recently and most sold within a day at about £130 so there is a market and the later ones are worth quite a lot more as mintages have been tiny.

I too have a small collection of these. I like most of the designs but with so many other coins that I want to get it's on a back burner so to speak. If I happen to have the cash I'll buy if not I'll wait for another to become available. 

4 minutes ago, Kman said:

I assume the unique design 1/10 proofs

It was that the Chards page linked by @MCJ is for bullion coins and I presumed that @Numistacker would be talking about proofs.

Chards charge a 50% premium for their proof 1/10ths as opposed to 20% for the bullion.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Are we talking about proof 1/10th or bullion here?

Sorry I was talking proof as I only have one bullion Britannia gold. I did not really like thermal it's that the mint were producing for gold bullion Britannias

I just picked up a boxed1987 1/10 proof Britannia at the weekend, as its quite nice, as well as being the inaugural year. Not sure if it's going to increase in value or not to be honest, but I may keep my eye out for other nice designs but like @StackemHigh I am not going to hunt them down. 2001 is a funky design. What are the mintages like ( are they variable?). 

9 minutes ago, Lindeman said:

@4Nines7Hills thanks! Didn't realise there was such a range of proof mintages. Bit disappointed that the 1987 is one of the most common, but it's still a nice coin. Still on the fence whether to get more, or sell the one I just bought?

@LindemanI'm  going to start getting all the different 1/4 Oz britannias just as soon as I have all the different Elizabeth 2 sovereign designs ...not sure if I'll get the BU or the more expensive but rarer proofs.

I guess it's a secret [emoji17]

I think it means that he has the most complete set graded by NGC.

Thanks for the help HH )) yes each coin gets points and points don't mean prizes...top NGC 1/10th proof set.

I currently collect the 1/10th in BU and I'm half way through.  It will be a long process to acquire them and I don't believe there will be any additional gain in numismatic value in the future.  The premium will still be proportional to spot so you generally won't lose.

I have been very tempted to buy a set of proofs recently but it works out at an average of around £115 for just the coin in capsule without box or COA.  Cheaper option than buying fully boxed since I don't really care for all the packaging but it's still quite a premium.

2 hours ago, morezone said:

I currently collect the 1/10th in BU and I'm half way through.  It will be a long process to acquire them and I don't believe there will be any additional gain in numismatic value in the future.  The premium will still be proportional to spot so you generally won't lose.

I have been very tempted to buy a set of proofs recently but it works out at an average of around £115 for just the coin in capsule without box or COA.  Cheaper option than buying fully boxed since I don't really care for all the packaging but it's still quite a premium.

The BU set is a difficult one as some of the mintages are quite small and many will have been abused as simple bullion.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived