• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign's

DogSoldier1973

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with sovs there are two options......

Collect certain years/designs, highly graded make sets etc IE the collector

Buy them cheap and pile them high, any old design, tatty or worn, whatever, the cheaper the better - IE the stacker

I have my little collection of 4 important dates. If I was to buy any more, it would be the stacker approach. I think in the long run there is more to be made that way. I have a feeling premiums over spot reduce as spot increases with Sovs. Just my gut talking though, might just be wind! lol

Sorry you're right, was looking at the price they buy at for the full sovereign.

Didn't see postage cost, that's quite expensive for a little coin isn't it but the coins are cheap ay.

Special Delivery is used for gold coins and HGM do not overcharge or add VAT to postage like Atkinsons ( before they included shipping in their prices ).

You can order about £1000 of coins before the price rises to £9.00

Hatton garden's probably the cheapest around at £96 and £185 if anyone's looking for best price.

I'm guessing that is the price for bullion grade UK coins? 

Any idea on the prices for higher graded coins? What about overseas minted sovereigns? Do Australian coins sell well?

I'm guessing that is the price for bullion grade UK coins? 

Any idea on the prices for higher graded coins? What about overseas minted sovereigns? Do Australian coins sell well?

You will be lucky finding anyone that grades sovereigns.

If they did then expect to pay a silly price.

If you want something nice look to proof sets.

As for HGM you can get anything that comes through their door.

I have received a few crimped, filed edge and pitted coins but also a proof or two, sealed new-like etc. and some from overseas with the mint mark.

They have always been very receptive to exchanging coins that are unreasonably damaged.

Pot luck buying bullion from any supplier.

Got my first gold coins! A pair of half sovereigns worked out cheaper than a single full one so I went with that on the basis I'm paying a touch less for the same gold content. They are so tiny though, compared to the pleasant heft of a 1oz silver coin they feel very insubstantial; like a couple of pennies. Both are used but relatively recent Queen Elizabeth heads so in pretty good condition, a few scratches but no dents or pits. Weighed in at 3.99g exactly. Next time I will get a full sovereign though. 

Got my first gold coins! A pair of half sovereigns worked out cheaper than a single full one so I went with that on the basis I'm paying a touch less for the same gold content. They are so tiny though, compared to the pleasant heft of a 1oz silver coin they feel very insubstantial; like a couple of pennies. Both are used but relatively recent Queen Elizabeth heads so in pretty good condition, a few scratches but no dents or pits. Weighed in at 3.99g exactly. Next time I will get a full sovereign though. 

They are small Silversword - but as they say "all good things come in small packages" lol

Just remember when you are fleeing your house in a collapsed economy,  because some friend or neighbour let it be known you are a stacker, it will be easier to escape with a few gold coins than half a tonne of silver.

I also like Shamatti's argument earlier (on a different thread about premiums), and broadly agree with it - yet if there is a financial collapse, you wont be selling nice coins on ebay as you would not want the cash. You'll be exchanging it for hard assets and then it doesn't matter whether its a gold bar, gold coin or numismatic - it will all be valued at 'scrap value/spot'. However if 'total collapse' scenario doesn't happen then yes, you will recoup any premiums. (and yes, if gold rises to $5,000/$10,000 you wouldn't worry about a premium of a few $'s). It's just that I like to get 'maximum bang for the buck' so to speak.

Silver is down today and I think further to fall, so my inclination is still to buy gold now and wait until silver has reached my goal of $17 - $17.50

I'm pleased to see your half sovereigns were in good order and the full weight.

'citing! :)

It s great receiving your first bit of gold huh? :D I don't have any half sovs. But if one or two cam up at a good price I would not be opposed to grabbing them.

I am thinking about getting a bunch of Australian sovereigns, I know someone over there who does them at a very reasonable price.

I think I'm hooked! Gold absolutely tanked by about £20/oz this afternoon so whilst I couldn't afford anything big, I picked up some more small gold bits in what can only be described as an impulse buy. 

I agree totally in regard to a SHTF scenario Richardski; If the worst happened, these will be a lot less painful to secret about my person than a 500g silver bar or a tube of Britannias :blink:

I think I'm hooked! Gold absolutely tanked by about £20/oz this afternoon so whilst I couldn't afford anything big, I picked up some more small gold bits in what can only be described as an impulse buy. 

I agree totally in regard to a SHTF scenario Richardski; If the worst happened, these will be a lot less painful to secret about my person than a 500g silver bar or a tube of Britannias :blink:

LOL!! This is the great thing about al PMs. but gold specifically. It will never let you down. S doesn't HTF it will go up in price nicely over the years, a lovley little nest egg. If S doest HTF then you can barter with it. This is why I like the small stuff as well as the big.

Re: Silversword's experience -

I've never come across two half sovereigns costing less than a full sovereign.

Maybe something special about the sovereign that made it more expensive ?

What did you pay out of interest ?

When I got them, a full sovereign was just over 200. Atkinsons price for a single half sovereign was 101-something, but less for orders of 2 or more, so got them for about 99 each. Saving of only a few pounds but I'm easily pleased

Guess that is because Atkinsons ships everything by Special Delivery charging about £7 plus VAT per item rather than per order.

Ordering 2+ of anything dilutes this built-in cost so appearing to be cheaper.

I ordered some cheap plastic tubes that were shipped Special Delivery so they sold at a loss - silly billies !!

The yound head Victoria sovereigns with the shield reverse are bloody beautiful but they typically cost in the region of £80-£100 than a current 2014 sovereign so it's very much not a bullion coin anymore (IMO). My sov is a '67, it's in good nick but in the future I don't want to get any modern sovereigns as anything post George V doesn't look as good, except maybe the sovereigns with the decimal  portrait of Elizabeth II.

Quintuple sovereign is a beaut, really interesting one to reach for.

Are these real? I don't know, but an interesting listing if you read the Q&A's.  I'm not interested, however I wish the photos were better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Beirut-Gold-Soverigns-/131162043338?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item1e89ddf3ca

Not that I'd be rushing to buy gold from ebay anyway.

http://coinsite.com/does-a-counterfeit-coin-have-any-value/

If they are real then the seller doesn't look like he knows, in the product description he asks for collection only and cash on collection. Can't help but imagine that if he knew he was selling 3 fake sovereigns he would most definitely not be dealing face to face in the event someone who knows about 'em bought it and found out on the spot.

It seems bizarre that anyone posts pictures of that quality on eBay anymore.

The yound head Victoria sovereigns with the shield reverse are bloody beautiful but they typically cost in the region of £80-£100 than a current 2014 sovereign so it's very much not a bullion coin anymore (IMO). My sov is a '67, it's in good nick but in the future I don't want to get any modern sovereigns as anything post George V doesn't look as good, except maybe the sovereigns with the decimal  portrait of Elizabeth II.

Quintuple sovereign is a beaut, really interesting one to reach for.

My local dealer has offered me a 2000 uncirculated quintuple sovereign (Queen Mother) for £975 - any thoughts?

Archived