• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10 oz Elephant VS 3g Panda

LittleMan

I am in the process of deciding between a 1/10 elephant or 3g panda for my first gold purchase.

I like the designs of both coins and have both in 1 oz silver. I intend to buy one gold coin each year so want to stick with one set once I have started. I hope to do this for about 30 years then sell the set when I retire (hopefully at a fat premium).

I know other gold coins may be better investments, but these are the 2 coins I like and would enjoy collecting.

As I like both coins equally the deciding factor between the 2 is which will be the best investment for the future?

So what are everyone sentiment the matter?

Can someone confirm that 2016 is the first year the Somalia Elephant had been produced in 1/10 oz?

Not sure about which would be the best investment but I like the physical size of the Somalian Elephant, it's made slightly wider but thinner but it just looks like a 1/10 coin that's larger than it's contemporaries.  As you say because it's the first it might be worth going for, if it's a success you are in from the start and if it's discontinued you have yourself a rarity.  The Pandas are tried and tested though so they have merit as well.

Yes it's the first 1/10 Elephant and the first 3g panda.

It looks like the premiums on the little pandas shoot up shortly after their release so if you go for them you may want to plan to purchase them as soon as they become available.

There have been 1/25th and 1/50th elephants too but there doesn't seem to be many collectors of those. That could be down to the availability.  The older 1oz gold elephants never seem to be available anywhere either.

4 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

There have been 1/25th and 1/50th elephants too but there doesn't seem to be many collectors of those. That could be down to the availability. 

Know any websites with information on these? mintage figures and start dates?

7 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Yes it's the first 1/10 Elephant and the first 3g panda.

It looks like the premiums on the little pandas shoot up shortly after their release so if you go for them you may want to plan to purchase them as soon as they become available.

There have been 1/25th and 1/50th elephants too but there doesn't seem to be many collectors of those. That could be down to the availability.  The older 1oz gold elephants never seem to be available anywhere either.

Re Pandas not straight away. This year the Chinese mint changed their business model and dealers were forced to order the exact same number of coins in each size/ denomination. Obviously, smaller coins are more affordable and so dealers increased the premium due to holding smaller quantities. 

I hear this will change in the next round of orders.  So I expect the costs to decrease accordingly. 

@LittleMan both coins are gorgeous, both only come out once a year, both are first year (panda in 3g variant).

I'd be tempted to collect both, it's equivalent to only 4 less coffees or pints a month, and im guessing you would get far more enjoyment and be wealthier in older age.

It's not like you are trying to justify the larger and much more expensive 1oz/30g coins

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have carefully read and considered them all even if I do not specifically reply to you.

Obviously I would like to collect both. But I have a very limited PM budget, so there can only be one.

4Nine7Hills – you say its only “4 less coffees or pints a month”. I have never bought a coffee or pint in my life! I hate coffee and beer. But I do have a weak spot for Vodka and coke :blink:. I went to a StarBucks with a friend for the first time about a year ago, it blew my mind how expensive the coffee was. The truth is I could afford both but am saving for a new porch and conservatory, so for now I must stick to a strict £25 per month PM budget. I like your point about the size of the coin too.

Scuzzle – I like your point about the possibility of Elephants being candled and becoming a rarity. I had thought they may get cancelled, but thought that may devalue them. But you are right – that could make them more valuable.

Kman – :angry: - lol. I knew someone would try throw a spanner in the works. But I prefer Pandas and Elephants because the designs change.

I know the pandas come in little sealed plastic wallets. And I know I must keep them in the wallets to maintain the best premium. I actually find that a bit off putting as I like to keep my coins in caps.

Does anyone know how the Elephants are packaged?

Archived