• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My first gold purchase. Did I do ok? (Half Sovereign)

ArgentumPica

Hey guys, 

I'm pretty new to both silver and gold. And with a limited budget I'm always looking for a bargain. I spend a fair bit of time on eBay looking for a good deal. A week ago I came across this half sovereign. And because the price was so low I decided to go for it. It was an auction, not buy it now. 

I paid £71 for it, which by my calculations is an excellent deal, and well below spot. 
Does everything look ok to you pros?

It weighs in at exactly 3.99g and came with a Spinks ref (i think thats an auction reference?)

Anyway, let me know what you think.
s1.JPG

s2.JPG

Excellent deal well done. Bullion coin and £71 is well below spot.

The Spink number refers to the type of coin listed in the Spink catalogue, which gives retail values for all British coins in various grades.

Yours would be classed as good VF and Spink 3974 bullion value only.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Well I took your advice and went to my LCS. 

I explained my concerns, he looked at it under a loupe, and weighed it etc and was happy enough with it to make me an offer. 

I accepted the offer for a couple of reasons. 

I was intending on sitting on this, but I don't want to have to deal with the questions asked today when selling it. I still made a handsome £30 profit on a quick flip. 

I rather take slightly less than the coins full value, whilst not having to deal with any potential issues upon resale at a later date. 

54 minutes ago, ArgentumPica said:

I was intending on sitting on this, but I don't want to have to deal with the questions asked today when selling it. I still made a handsome £30 profit on a quick flip.

Honestly, you can't upload a picture of a sovereign on here without someone saying it looks dodgy lol

If @sovereignsteve didn't say it looked dodgy you didn't need to have worried 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

4 minutes ago, Kman said:

Honestly, you can't upload a picture of a sovereign on here without someone saying it looks dodgy lol

I think I'm in the lead for making the most fake sovereign

accusations. you can never be too sure. I guess it checked

out good, nice flip.

HH

1 hour ago, Kman said:

SovSteve is our resident expert, I have to agree with Kman here, if SS says its good, you can bet it will absolutely fine. 

13 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

No tax to pay on Sovs ;)

Doh, of course not. I was looking at another post about a monkey and. ....

I'll get me coat.

4 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

SovSteve is our resident expert, I have to agree with Kman here, if SS says its good, you can bet it will absolutely fine. 

Shucks guys, you're too kind. (insert embarrassed/bashful emoticon here:))

I didn't actually say I thought it was fine. I only gave the photos a cursory glance but that is usually enough; a dodgy coin usually just looks wrong. There was nothing about this one that grabbed my attention. However I've never seen or heard of a fake Edward half.

The weight was stated as exactly 3.99g which suggests an attention to detail and therefore probably accurately weighed; fakes are usually slightly out.

If the OP had measured the diameter and thickness, I'm sure that would have been enough to confirm authenticity.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived