• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need help with this one.

George

There was piece on the local radio about nearly all  the hearts football team signing up for the army and going to the First World War, may have an interesting bit of history there!

Edit, just clicked your link MCJ. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Duncan Currie died 1st day of the Somme. I know some military reasearchers/collectors who could probably add information if you want. Pm me.

I used to stay in Contalmaison where the memorial is.

Lots about Currie here.

http://www.mccraesbattaliontrust.org.uk/the-sporting-battalion/

SORRY...missed MCJ's link :rolleyes:

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Got some really cool info via the football club, I Will share it with you guys!

Dear George

Many thanks for letting the club see the medal that your grandfather left. It is hugely historic.

The medal was won by Duncan Currie, the Heart of Midlothian full-back, after Hearts beat our local rivals, Hibernian, by 3-2, in the Rosebery Charity Cup Final of 9 May 1914. The Charity Cup competition was played at the end of each season with, as the name suggests, the money raised being donated to local hospitals and other good causes.

Within a month of winning the Charity Cup, Hearts embarked on a short tour of Denmark and played two games, both in the new national stadium in Copenhagen. Hearts beat a Copenhagen XI by 2-1 on 7 June 1914 and then a Danish International XI by 2-1 on 9 June 1914. Duncan Currie played in both matches.

The Hearts party was looked after by members of the Copenhagen Football Association and the Danish National Association and was lavishly entertained in places such as Tivoli Gardens. Although I have no written evidence, may I suggest that your grandfather was connected to one of the Associations and was given the medal by Duncan Currie as a token of his appreciation.

Duncan was one of the brave Hearts players who volunteered for service during the Great War and he was killed in action at the Battle of the Somme in July 1916.

Many thanks for letting us see the medal it is a wonderful item.

regards

David Speed

HMFC Historian

Administration & Project Manager

Heart of Midlothian Football Club

Hearts Football Academy

Heriot Watt University

Edinburgh

EH14 4AS

Archived