• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

I blame [mention=378]Numistacker[/mention] for my recent sovereign craze ;-)  A shield back 1/2 sovereign is on its way [emoji4]
[/img]

Nice buy.. next time a whole sovereign [emoji854]

Success!  Finally a winning bid on the DNW auction today.  While this 1807-A Negro Head Napoleon Quarter Franc is only in G/VG condition (though DNW had this as "Adjustment mark on face, otherwise about extremely fine"), I really wanted to pick up a specimen of this rare coin.  I'll look to upgrade from here but I'm happy to add it to the collection.

1807AfricanHeadQuarter.thumb.jpg.0f1081571ab0743b8f35b0fe5a6a0dbb.jpg

Edited by Jester

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2014_Premium_Three_Coin_Gold_Proof_Set?tab=specification

My biggest purchase yet.  Am I right that none of these coins were issued as singles, sets only? 

I have been stacking for nearly a year and have fallen for the proof Britannia's.  I have been quietly picking up the series via ebay auctions and have got quite a few for less than the price of bullion which I think is bonkers given the low mintages.  Happy to wait now for the series to become popular! 

2 hours ago, Jester said:

Success!  Finally a winning bid on the DNW auction today.  While this 1807-A Negro Head Napoleon Quarter Franc is only in G/VG condition (though DNW had this as "Adjustment mark on face, otherwise about extremely fine"), I really wanted to pick up a specimen of this rare coin.  I'll look to upgrade from here but I'm happy to add it to the collection.

1807AfricanHeadQuarter.thumb.jpg.0f1081571ab0743b8f35b0fe5a6a0dbb.jpg

Congratulations!

I looked at this myself as it is in a good grade (AEF - the VG and KM are the reference book numbers).

I just wasn't sure how NGC would view the mark on the face???  which is probably why the estimate was so low at £120-150 as without the mark and in that grade it could have easily been more than £700!

Upgrading will be difficult?

2 minutes ago, SilverTanner said:

Congratulations!

I looked at this myself as it is in a good grade (AEF - the VG and KM are the reference book numbers).

I just wasn't sure how NGC would view the mark on the face???  which is probably why the estimate was so low at £120-150 as without the mark and in that grade it could have easily been more than £700!

Upgrading will be difficult?

Thanks so much @SilverTanner.  So besides the damage to the portrait, you see it being a decent example?  I was guessing that the wear at the 8 o'clock on the obverse as well as the wear at the 10 o'clock on the reverse would further lower the grade in addition to the "adjustment mark" on the portrait.  That said, I don't see this being a NGC Details grade as it's not cleaned, repaired, hairline scratches, etc. it's simply damage to the coin just as any other damage a coin suffers that lowers its grade south of MS.  That's my theory anyway.  We'll see as this'll be going to Uncle Numi for grading and NCS Conservation :)

Pick-up #2 from the DNW auction today.  I was able to check off two boxes today from my "Want List", the 1807-A Half Franc and the 1849 Godless Florin.  I'm going to bed now :blink:  Looking forward to sending both these coins along to @Numistacker for one of his upcoming NGC submissions.

1849Florin.thumb.jpg.9c0010612bd3440c3a93cea3b119c6b6.jpg

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 13:21, Numistacker said:

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

Pick-up #2 from the DNW auction today.  I was able to check off two boxes today from my "Want List", the 1807-A Half Franc and the 1849 Godless Florin.  I'm going to bed now :blink:  Looking forward to sending both these coins along to @Numistacker for one of his upcoming NGC submissions.

1849Florin.thumb.jpg.9c0010612bd3440c3a93cea3b119c6b6.jpg

Very Nice, was tempted to bid on that myself. Lovely toning.

Won the below myself.

59414fbcd0bcb_1821Crown.thumb.jpg.9eb807697ec5a1b519c8077ac01ed0c3.jpg

5941501018828_1692shilling.thumb.jpg.17ad07982532615bc764e06dc1efb8d7.jpg

Just now, metalslug said:

Managed to win what I have waited all day for, over the higher estimate, but well below what people on ebay are asking for it.

5941526455c4b_1902set.thumb.jpg.0692b69e9bf393c771718f239aae6a52.jpg

594152720d276_1902set(2).thumb.jpg.6589c5253212c66946f2cae1f8be9fc3.jpg

Excellent!  Congrats on the beautiful set.  I was wondering if that was you bidding.  Very nice pick-up.

39 minutes ago, Jester said:

Thanks so much @SilverTanner.  So besides the damage to the portrait, you see it being a decent example?  I was guessing that the wear at the 8 o'clock on the obverse as well as the wear at the 10 o'clock on the reverse would further lower the grade in addition to the "adjustment mark" on the portrait.  That said, I don't see this being a NGC Details grade as it's not cleaned, repaired, hairline scratches, etc. it's simply damage to the coin just as any other damage a coin suffers that lowers its grade south of MS.  That's my theory anyway.  We'll see as this'll be going to Uncle Numi for grading and NCS Conservation :)

The other marks on the rims are more typical adjustment marks and are very very common on Napoleonic coins. NGC seem to ignore these for grading purposes unless they are excessive but they seem to generally not like damage to the portrait, whereas tolerate it to the rims - if it gets a clean AU grade that will be a brilliant result.

In this case it looks like the mint worker slipped with the file and took a small gouge out of the portrait and hoped no one would notice as it still ended up in circulation?

It shouldn't need conservation. 

As everyone seems to have been bidding today (I have been stuck in meetings ?) anyone have plans for tomorrow? there is one item buried in a mixed lot that I have been after for more than 20 years, it is very low grade and not worth anything, other than personal reasons, so I will have to have it!

Thanks so much [mention=390]SilverTanner[/mention].  So besides the damage to the portrait, you see it being a decent example?  I was guessing that the wear at the 8 o'clock on the obverse as well as the wear at the 10 o'clock on the reverse would further lower the grade in addition to the "adjustment mark" on the portrait.  That said, I don't see this being a NGC Details grade as it's not cleaned, repaired, hairline scratches, etc. it's simply damage to the coin just as any other damage a coin suffers that lowers its grade south of MS.  That's my theory anyway.  We'll see as this'll be going to Uncle Numi for grading and NCS Conservation [emoji4]

It will be my 3rd Africa head ))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought 4 NGC MS70 pandas today
2pcs 2013 and 2 pcs 2014
Prices are so low atm Its hard not to buy

Mind sharing where you always get these cheap pandas [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

Some Scottsdale Reserve rounds (20, 2015), four 100g cast silver Scottsdale bars, two NGC storage boxes for slabs ...and a book (should have bought it 2 years ago...) Bowers Guide of Morgan Silver Dollars.  Looks like my 1893 Morgan is on its way to me as well -- so I hope to be able to confirm that is all in good order later this week?

I'm a bit shocked..

I wasn't going to be around to take in any post, so I've put off buying the QB unicorn silver 1 oz, thought no rush, 6000 they aren't going to sell out that quck 

They're no longer available from RM :mellow: where else can I get one? 

Edit> I bought from postofficeshop.co.uk 

Edited by Kman

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Well i might end up regretting this purchase ,  a Queens beast 1 oz proof lion and unicorn .  

Silver or gold?

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās