• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

On 03/01/2017 at 00:11, Numistacker said:

Should see this coin in a couple of days but looked up the PCGS cert pic.

88275cf748b0605396c7a1b331030e81.jpg

It looks promising and nicer than the eBay pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not knowing those coins and just looking at it as any other coin I would never have guessed it would make MS62   Looks to be a lot of rubbing/wear on the fields and the dies must have been worn or poorly made.

Not knowing those coins and just looking at it as any other coin I would never have guessed it would make MS62   Looks to be a lot of rubbing/wear on the fields and the dies must have been worn or poorly made.

There are type 2 coins where you can barely read the year that make 63 to 65.

Here is the grading guide for 62

4b760921551c5f9c1ab82570cc98291b.png

I think PCGS correctly graded it.

Bought an 1821 sovereign today and paid a lot!

All is in the grading with this one so a bit of a flyer

1cf4b3543064f79ed81d9f73523e56d5.png

bf3516c0a8144560f64b1b4ab7023058.png

271a932d06729694d14f9e7f16ebae37.jpg
Compared to a Ms65

02e25d2ecfb56d1e614aaded0fc66ab4.png
An MS63

An 1826 AU58
8ca1226696262c3e15f0f157558a9fd1.png

I was watching it on ebay .. lovely coin you lucky man [emoji4] 

Someone really wanted it and as a consequence I probably overpaid but it might surprise on grading.

4 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Someone really wanted it and as a consequence I probably overpaid but it might surprise on grading.

£1200? that's ok, they go for really good money when graded over 61 these days. There are fakes around though, hopefully NGC would pick them up.

should grade up 62 - 63 IMO but looks to be a nasty mark on the horse.

I did see it when it was only £700 and it certainly caught my eye.

Edited by sovereignsteve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

If I can get 62 I will be extremely pleased. But pics can disguise anything. I really wanted it at £700 lol and £1200 is a lot to pay for a potential problem coin.

Just now, Numistacker said:

If I can get 62 I will be extremely pleased. But pics can disguise anything. I really wanted it at £700 lol and £1200 is a lot to pay for a potential problem coin.

I think if the coin is as good as the pictures and is genuine, I think it was a great buy  @Numistacker and would go as far as saying you got it at a good price, I think in the future only top end sovereigns will increase in value and coins that are not quite perfect will lose value. As with stamps, coin collecting is now falling out of fashion, only top grades will increase in value. I really look forward to watching the story of this coin, As I'm sure you will send it for grading. I hope its a winner for you. 

I think if the coin is as good as the pictures and is genuine, I think it was a great buy  @Numistacker and would go as far as saying you got it at a good price, I think in the future only top end sovereigns will increase in value and coins that are not quite perfect will lose value. As with stamps, coin collecting is now falling out of fashion, only top grades will increase in value. I really look forward to watching the story of this coin, As I'm sure you will send it for grading. I hope its a winner for you. 

It's worth buying just for the story and the lesson. I have noticed big interest in older sovereigns and when they come up and quality is good there seems to be more buyers than later sovereigns.

I guess there are lots of collectors who would like a reasonable full type set.

On 17/01/2017 at 16:27, Numistacker said:

Bought an 1821 sovereign today and paid a lot!

All is in the grading with this one so a bit of a flyer

1cf4b3543064f79ed81d9f73523e56d5.png

bf3516c0a8144560f64b1b4ab7023058.png

271a932d06729694d14f9e7f16ebae37.jpg
Compared to a Ms65

02e25d2ecfb56d1e614aaded0fc66ab4.png
An MS63

An 1826 AU58
8ca1226696262c3e15f0f157558a9fd1.png

I am certainly no expert, I know very little, but I had a fair look from experts and in my very humble opinion your coin looks very good and hopefully get a good grade. Looking at others yours is very favorable. Good luck.

I am certainly no expert, I know very little, but I had a fair look from experts and in my very humble opinion your coin looks very good and hopefully get a good grade. Looking at others yours is very favorable. Good luck.

Thanks I know it's one of the most common dates but it's a start. I would like an 1817 one or an 1825 but will have to see how it goes

@shortstack68 Which dealer did you pick it up from if I may ask?

I have the 2016 Monkey and this is on my wanted list.  The UK dealer I bought from last time doesn't have the Rooster in stock yet and the only other places I know are Perth Bullion and Apmex.