• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

One more year down \ got the 1915 Indian Head gold $5, via US eBay. Will pick it up in US later, along with the 1914 I got a few months ago. Only two more years to get for the Indian head recuse year run (1908-1916+ 1929) but in reality, only one (1916) as 1929 is impossible, at least for me?.

Will post pics of the collection when they are all together. Then I guess an option would be to get the full year / Mintmark combinations - but that may be bit compulsive ( read - collector)! Anyway - it's my favourite pre-1933 US gold coin  

One more year down \ got the 1915 Indian Head gold $5, via US eBay. Will pick it up in US later, along with the 1914 I got a few months ago. Only two more years to get for the Indian head recuse year run (1908-1916+ 1929) but in reality, only one (1916) as 1929 is impossible, at least for me[emoji4].

Will post pics of the collection when they are all together. Then I guess an option would be to get the full year / Mintmark combinations - but that may be bit compulsive ( read - collector)! Anyway - it's my favourite pre-1933 US gold coin  

Great endeavor. It's very tough to get those Indians in genuinely good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Great endeavor. It's very tough to get those Indians in genuinely good condition.

True Numi - I am especially concerned on the quality for the 1915 & 1916 - as there the price range is pretty variable, especially 1916. Always hard to tell via auction - but I think I've done reasonably well so far on them all (bought all of them raw, US, Israel, Spain among the sellers). Once I have the recent purchases in the UK  (and a 1916..) I will try some "proper" photography with a macro filter and post them up, so we can all review the approx grades. It may be then that I need to sell and upgrade some. Stil need a double eagle gold $20 Liberty Head and a $10 gold Indian Head Eagle to complete the bigger coins ( I like your different gold dollars and cents too - but haven't got any of those examples!). 

9 hours ago, Lindeman said:

Bold move - do you know the years? ! 

Yea I know the years, nothing that rare I don't think 53,54,58,59,65,68,70,72,74,80,86. If not London they are Sydney

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

9 hours ago, Kman said:

Are you planning to keep them all?

If you fancy selling any nice condition ones after you get them let me know 

Yea will keep them until I have duplicates or complete most likely

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

8 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

there are 11 there;)

and one or two nice years.

Ah yes no 65. This is why i was asking before, it seems that unless they have something special about them the date on their own just doesn't matter? There may be other dates i could get but from what i read these were the lowest mintage years (50-80). So they would need to have some dodgy strike or be from a specific branch?

The Gold Sovereign

the main thing apart from condition is rarity ie year mintage and survival numbers. Other than that there are the years that have the oddities. Dodgy strilkes as you put it don't come into it. The "errors" are not in the strike but the making of the die, it has to be an engraver's error.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

Wasn't really interested in gold coins until I got to this forum and Numistacker educated me on the rarity and beauty of the 2014 Gold Proof Libertad series.  Just happened to be at a local coin show and was able to pick this one up.  Enjoy

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

@Pampfan that's a nice way to kick off your gold collecting! Good choice of coin, year, and grade! Your "local coin show" in NYC may be a bit of a better hunting ground than some of ours in the UK when searching for Libertads?

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

Wasn't really interested in gold coins until I got to this forum and Numistacker educated me on the rarity and beauty of the 2014 Gold Proof Libertad series.  Just happened to be at a local coin show and was able to pick this one up.  Enjoy

Don't you find when you put a gold coin next to silver, silver suddenly looks like crap? B)

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, SilverPirate said:

In my next life i am going to be born in America and spend all my spare time in there local coin stores.I so wish it was like that here.:(

No you don't........ You'd then have to have some more children to sell to be able  to afford all those extra coins!!!

IMG_4506.thumb.JPG.e279100951f1ed6cd540b43e7a740679.JPG

IMG_4505.thumb.JPG.dc1fe6272908c5a4a5b5a595f4ebe239.JPG

You certainly scored with that one. Right in at the deep end. What did it sell for?

Don't you find when you put a gold coin next to silver, silver suddenly looks like crap? B)

Particularly a big gold coin ))

Surprisingly the dealers at the show I go to all deal mostly in us coinage - Morgan dollars and us gold coins pre 1933. I mostly collect pamp bars so whenever I see them at the show I usually am able to pick them up at close to spot. The dealer had it in his case next to other gold graded coins.  I really didn't believe that it would just be sitting there, almost out of place.  I asked him if I could take a look at it and asked how much - he said $500,  no brainier, bought it on the spot.  It almost seemed like he was glad to get rid of it.

Surprisingly the dealers at the show I go to all deal mostly in us coinage - Morgan dollars and us gold coins pre 1933. I mostly collect pamp bars so whenever I see them at the show I usually am able to pick them up at close to spot. The dealer had it in his case next to other gold graded coins.  I really didn't believe that it would just be sitting there, almost out of place.  I asked him if I could take a look at it and asked how much - he said $500,  no brainier, bought it on the spot.  It almost seemed like he was glad to get rid of it.

You got it for $280 to $350 less than it should be so great pickup.

After a fair bit of chasing down for a reasonable price (?!) of $650, the seven coin boxed set of 2015 silver proof Libertads. My first big set  in the box, and maybe my last! Have a small stash of individual 1, 2 and 5 oz 2016 proofs as well, waiting for pickup in the US - so just really waiting to see the mintages later on in the year. Oh - and waiting for the golds proofs to appear soon; need to save for those. 

Edited by Lindeman

After a fair bit of chasing down for a reasonable price (?!) of $650, the seven coin boxed set of 2015 silver proof Libertads. My first big set  in the box, and maybe my last! Have a small stash of individual 1, 2 and 5 oz 2015 proofs as well, waiting for pickup in the US - so just really waiting to see the mintages later on in the year. Oh - and waiting for the golds proofs to appear soon; need to save for those. 

You should have tried to pay more it sets a nasty precedent. I hope no more sell for such a crazily silly low price or I may have to stop collecting them.

?. Yup - @Numistacker crazy world when picking up silver at ~£55 an ounce is a bargain. Time will tell...! In fact the story is that I got them through one of the US brokers that get some supply, and they still offered it at their Pre-Order price once they hunted one down. Lesson learned - secure them early (I know you probably did Numi). 

Lindeman 

[emoji23]. Yup - @Numistacker crazy world when picking up silver at ~£55 an ounce is a bargain. Time will tell...! In fact the story is that I got them through one of the US brokers that get some supply, and they still offered it at their Pre-Order price once they hunted one down. Lesson learned - secure them early (I know you probably did Numi). 

Lindeman 

Thankfully they seem to sell at about $800 right now. The mintage of 2015 was higher than 2014 so some lost interest after the mintage was announced. It's a lottery what 2016 will be but I gave 1 X 7 coin set and 11 X 2oz proofs so far