• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

e bay silver coins

craig12

could anyone tell me a coin or coins to look out for on e bay which some may term as junk silver  or a coin that has a high silver content, 50% or however they rate them , im no expert on this subject. but apparently older coins  were struck with a high silver content, anyone know what I should be searching for

regards craig

could anyone tell me a coin or coins to look out for on e bay which some may term as junk silver or a coin that has a high silver content, 50% or however they rate them , im no expert on this subject. but apparently older coins were struck with a high silver content, anyone know what I should be searching for

regards craig

Hi Craig.

Before you start buying on eBay, do your homework and know exactly what coins have what silver content, what a genuine one looks like, dates etc.

When I first started collecting many years ago, I didn't do my homework and got it wrong many times.

Read all the guides you can, here is a starter for 10 that I ripped from a buyers guide:-

Prior to 1920, British silver coins contained high purity, 92.5% (Sterling) silver.

From 1920 to 1946, British silver coins contained 50% silver.

From 1947 to 1971, some denominations of British pre-decimal coins issued for circulation were "silver-colored," however these coins were made of copper-nickel, and contained no silver.

From 1971-on, some denominations of British decimal coins issued for circulation were "silver-colored," however these coins were made of copper-nickel, and contained no silver. In addition, there have been some silver decimal coins minted in limited quantities as commemorative or bullion issues, typically in Proof condition; these coins were not intended for circulation.

The standard circulating denominations of pre-decimal British coins from 1800 to 1946 which contained 92.5% or 50% silver, included threepences, sixpences, shillings, florins, two shillings, halfcrowns, double florins, and crowns.

Stacker since 2013

Research is key. I would advise everyone to pick up a few Standard Catalogue of World Coins by Cuhaj Michael.

"For more than 40 years, the Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, has provided the most complete and comprehensive single-source resource to all coins found in the world during this time period.

Impressive in size, scope and detail, the new edition of this remarkable catalog offers significant information from more than 120 experts worldwide to provide the most dependable and reliable reference to world coins on the market.

Whether a beginning or serious collector, researcher, academician, or coin dealer, The Standard Catalog of World Coins provides invaluable information to enhance your numismatic experience. Organized by country, each listing in the catalog provides:

Up-to-date values listed by date, mintmark and grade.

Globally accepted KM reference numbers.

Clear descriptions of the coin's design features.

Coins minted in silver, gold, platinum and palladium offer the following additional information for charting a course in the turbulent precious metals market:

Total coin weight

Fineness

Actual precious metal weight"

Think the lowest prices are on amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/2014-Standard-Catalog-World-Coins/dp/1440235678

Though you will find a zip if you do a quick Google search. I previewed these as PDF's on a smartphone for a couple months before I payed for these four.

post-131-0-46218200-1400061019_thumb.jpg

post-131-0-26529300-1400061035_thumb.jpg

Few suggestions on buying British coins with a 925 silver content on ebay.

GEORGE III CROWN COIN | 3 dates to collect 1818 - 1820 | 28.27g | as low as £14 in fair grade

Milled 1816 - 1837 Crowns http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Crown-/141099/i.html

VICTORIA DOUBLE FLORIN | 4 dates to collect with Roman, Arabic & Inverted 1 variations 1887 - 1890 | 22.62g | as low as £11 in fair grade

Victoria 1837 - 1901 Double Florin http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Double-Florin-/98771/i.html

VICTORIA GOTHIC FLORIN | 38 dates to collect with and without die numbers 1848 - 1887 | 11.31g | as low as £7 in fair grade

Victoria 1837 - 1901 Gothic Florin http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Victoria-18371901-/98759/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gothic+florin&rt=nc

VICTORIA CROWN | 14 dates to collect 1887 - 1900 | 28.27g | as low as £7.50 in fair grade

Victoria 1837 - 1901 Crown http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Crown-/98772/i.html?rt=nc

Hope this helps. Good luck with the search

post-131-0-03884100-1400147361.jpg

post-131-0-42902000-1400147375_thumb.jpg

post-131-0-18623900-1400147389_thumb.jpg

post-131-0-05301300-1400147431.jpg

It's only recently that I began to learn about our pre-decimal coins as part of my wider reading on the history of money. I think the old coin designs and money system is fascinating, and I can see why people would choose to collect them. I remember my parents had quite a collection of old coins but mostly small denominations, probably of little value. Perhaps I will check them again though. I very much doubt I'd have the patience to sift through ebay looking for junk silver coins unless I was collecting them, but I wouldnt be averse to shifting a job lot of them and buying .999 bars or coins with the proceeds.

As florins and crowns are no longer legal tender presumably it would be ok legally to melt them down (although I think that destroying historical items would be a terrible thing in its own right) if one were so inclined?

Archived