• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How important is pre sales customer service?

In 2009 I was looking to make a large purchase of silver & gold. I rang around and was surpisingly shocked at the lack of customer service I received from a number of companies such as Baird & Co and The Gold Bullion Co. I mean, hello's, how are you's, thank you's, yes sir's, no sir's, etc.... seem to have gone out of the window. It seemed like pure arrogance to me. It was more like a "What do you want? We're busy!" attitude I experienced.

Maybe I just like being pampered. Coming from a hard hitting, well trained sales background myself, I was expecting to be treated like a God, since that is how I've always treated all of my customers in any company I've worked for. So, even though the prices were ok, I took my business elsewhere (bullionbypost) just because I felt these other people don't deserve my money.

How important is pre sale customer service to you? If a dealer had the best prices possible but spoke to you like you were something stuck to the bottom of their shoe, would you still do business with them?

I wouldn't just because of principle, but I'm seeing if others think that price rules the day no matter what the sales experience is like? It's obviously something that has stuck with me for 5 years.

I am afraid for me personally I am the same as you, and have done so in the past not with bullion purchases but with other items.

It cost absolutely sweet FA to be polite and if I am spending money with your business and lots of it is the least you should expect.

Bollocks to them I say...

• Founder & Administrator

If there is an option to deal with a better company in terms of service, I would always choose this option, even if slightly more expensive. As they are working harder and deserve it.

Some bullion companies might not give such great service to someone calling up to ask about a few ounces of silver coins. But who knows, that exact buyer could spend hundreds of thousands the week after. I don't like companies that are arrogant and look down upon others, I certainly wouldn't buy from a company who I thought only gave good customer service to those customers that it knows to be wealthy. Everyone should be treated with the same respect wether they are buying 1oz of silver of 400oz of gold.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I'm of the same opinion, good customer service and manners are good business and every customer should be treated with the same respect and courtesy regardless of the sum spent.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

If there is an option to deal with a better company in terms of service, I would always choose this option, even if slightly more expensive. As they are working harder and deserve it.

Some bullion companies might not give such great service to someone calling up to ask about a few ounces of silver coins. But who knows, that exact buyer could spend hundreds of thousands the week after. I don't like companies that are arrogant and look down upon others, I certainly wouldn't buy from a company who I thought only gave good customer service to those customers that it knows to be wealthy. Everyone should be treated with the same respect wether they are buying 1oz of silver of 400oz of gold.

That's pretty much what did happen. I won't say how much but I think it was one of the largest orders bullionbypost received until then. Instead of buying that much from BBP, I should have bought some of the company instead :) Got a good deal in the end. Like the forum Chris. I've been waiting to find something like this for ages. Will tell some people I know and certainly get them to join in.

• Founder & Administrator

That's pretty much what did happen. I won't say how much but I think it was one of the largest orders bullionbypost received until then. Instead of buying that much from BBP, I should have bought some of the company instead :) Got a good deal in the end. Like the forum Chris. I've been waiting to find something like this for ages. Will tell some people I know and certainly get them to join in.

Yea, it's not good business practice in my opinion. People who aren't very inviting to smaller customers are very short sighted, that small customer might become your biggest customer.

I was in a similar situation when I was in China earlier this year and was trying to buy 10 scarves in total, about 3 of each design. Most of the wholesale places just laughed and didn't want to sell me any stating that minimum quantity was 10 pieces per design, even though we were trying to explain that we just needed some samples to test the market as it was a new area for us most sellers weren't interested at all, one woman told us to go away. The person in the shop next door to her agreed, after some discussion, to work with us.

Anyway, a few months afterwards we went back to the wholesale shop that agreed to work with us and purchased 3000 scarves, the woman in the shop next door begging us to look at her stock this time and saying we could purchase only 3 of each design this time, lol. but of course we were not going to purchase from her. Her short sighted and quite frankly rude behaviour and customer service caused her to loose a potential large customer, as we are expecting a regularly purchase of these scarves from now.

Anyhow, thanks for the compliments about the forum. Hopefully you find the system very easy, I've tried to make it one of the best precious metals forum in terms of functionality. And there are some really great people here, the forum will hopefully grow and become even better. And please do invite all of your friends :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I walked into a main Audi dealer about 10 years ago with the intention of purchasing for cash a brand new Audi A6 quattro with extras, price at the time over £30k. As I was young looking and wearing jeans the salespeople ignored me, preferring to answer the phone.

I walked out, drove 10 miles to another dealer and immediately placed my order. The salesman was pleasant and I made his day.

Yes, customer service is extremely important especially for repeat business.

I remain loyal to those suppliers who appreciate your business and will solve problems with minimal fuss.

Agreed. Manners cost nothing, and whilst I have had very little contact with bullion dealers (the nature of internet sales and such) I have to say both Atkinsons and Silver To Go have been excellent when I've communicated with them, and thus they get my return custom: They give me the confidence to reorder knowing that if there are any problems I can expect courteous and prompt communication.

Archived