• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Keep track of your purchases and totals - Excel file included

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

I believe that anyone investing in precious metals should keep a clear record of what they paid for each coin or bar. That way when you come to sell you know how much you originally paid, and if you are trading at a profit or loss overall.

It is also nice to have a clear understanding of how many ounces you have, and the average price paid per ounce.

When adding to my excel file, I take the cost of transaction fees and shipping and divide them amongst how many ounces I ordered, that way I can add in the excel file the total cost for that particular coin, so I know the total cost paid for that coin including all fees etc and not just the sale price.

I have attached an excel file that you can use as a template for your silver accounting. 

Silver&GoldPurchases-1.xlsx

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

That's a good resource right there.

Personally, I only keep a record of everything I have with current approximate value (updated every 6 months and purely based on eBay completed auctions).

I choose not to record prices paid, purely because it doesn't really mean a lot too me. I'm a collector first, but I just happen to collect something with a base value, spot price.

I also have disposal instructions stored with my collection, with details on each coin, mintages, estimated value and how / where to sell (individual, in sets etc).

I'd be intrigued how much it has cost me and a £/oz, but I'm too far down the road to do that, I bought a lot for cash at coin fairs. I'd probably be pleasantly surprised, but a few high price coins would give an inaccurate figure that is inflated.

Stacker since 2013

That's a good resource right there.

Personally, I only keep a record of everything I have with current approximate value (updated every 6 months and purely based on eBay completed auctions).

I choose not to record prices paid, purely because it doesn't really mean a lot too me. I'm a collector first, but I just happen to collect something with a base value, spot price.

I also have disposal instructions stored with my collection, with details on each coin, mintages, estimated value and how / where to sell (individual, in sets etc).

I'd be intrigued how much it has cost me and a £/oz, but I'm too far down the road to do that, I bought a lot for cash at coin fairs. I'd probably be pleasantly surprised, but a few high price coins would give an inaccurate figure that is inflated.

How are prices at coin fairs? I imagine they would be pretty expensive because of VAT, but then it's probably a good place to look for something specific that you are after as one of the sellers is bound to have it, depending on the size. I imagine there are some pretty good silver coin fairs in the US.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I'm the same ;) right from the beginning of when i started stacking i've kept a record off everything i bought, what the weight was, fineness and amount of pure silver/gold per item and and at what price, i even made a section for how much postage was incurred on each purchase. I like to have everything down so i know exactly what i've got where and it's a great reference for future purchases as well IMO :)

I'm the same ;) right from the beginning of when i started stacking i've kept a record off everything i bought, what the weight was, fineness and amount of pure silver/gold per item and and at what price, i even made a section for how much postage was incurred on each purchase. I like to have everything down so i know exactly what i've got where and it's a great reference for future purchases as well IMO :)

I definitely agree! Thanks for joining dog solider, why not introduce yourself in the New Members section: http://thesilverforum.com/index.php?/forum/10-welcome-new-members/ and also let people know about your youtube channel if you wish :)

Discounts / Offers

Good idea Chris,I always factor in postage and if applicable VAT as sometimes you do get away with it when buying from outside the EU. :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Greetings to all from Saudi Arabia.............. via south Wales! 

Have followed Silver Stackers and was pleased to see this link to a UK site and which I hope over the coming months will help in respect of  new releases and locating  potential sellers within the EU. Many thanks to you ChrisSilver for the effort 

To the matter at hand;  I likewise have data-based all my coins and actually started my first spreadsheet on excel 3.0 running on Windows 3.1 - thus I have collected all sorts of data from the time when Moses was a boy!

I think each person has his own trait or want, but two little variations that I would now not live without are the ability to hyperlink to a picture of each of the coins; (helps when you have buggered up the file/index numbers!) as well as the ability to 'insert comment' which enables a large amount of text to be uploaded to a specific cell but is conveniently hidden unless you request to view it. This has likewise been a godsend in respect of updating info' that will be required when you come to sell the coin.

Have over the years attempted to use numismatic proprietary software based on Access, but have always come back to the tried and tested excel sheet!  

Happy stacking! 

Very helpful information ArthGoch and a big welcome to the forum! Hopefully we can get a lot of UK & Europe members here and get the trading section really active :)

Discounts / Offers

Things seem to be livening up here over the last 24 hours, fantastic stuff.

Just need to give it time. The forum has only been live for about 72hours ? lol

Discounts / Offers

I keep all my data on an Excel spreadsheet and using Pivot tables can easily see how many coins I have by country, type, source, year etc.

It hurts to see the present value compared to cost as most of my stack was bought in 2011 and the loss in spot over the last 3 years is over 40%.

Makes you weep !

Still a great investment Pete, especially as it sounds like you have the right sort of coins.

Silver at £13 will be laughed at in 10 years time, maybe even £30 will be a distant memory.

With time I hope you are right but it really hurts when you value your stack then rework what you could buy today with the same outlay.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Nope still don't work even with an xls extension.

Here is the error.

Keith

That's because your trying to upload a .xls instead of the .xlsx I suggested. ;)

But don't worry, I've now found where all the settings for allowable attachment files are, and have added .xls to the list, so providing I choose the correct Mime type for .xls, .xls documents should upload fine now.

Please have a go and see if it works :)

Discounts / Offers

Hello

Here is the excel file I use to keep tabs on my precious metal collection, my stacker tracker.

I have left some data in to give you an idea of its use, the sort on column A button does just that by date order low to high, and when there is lots of data page after page, then the find next empty cell will do just under source column (Col M).

I calculate my average price for an order before I enter the price paid.

Cheers
Keith

Precious Metal Coin Collection - Blank.xls

Archived