• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your top target gold coins for 2016?

Lindeman

May be fun just to see what everyone is lining up as their New Year priorities (in collecting / stacking terms...):)

Here goes with some of the gold I would like to get in 2016 (in no particular order - keen on them all!). 

• 2016 RM Lunar Monkey 1oz (just waiting for the price to drop on Bairds) 
  • old mexican gold veinte pesos 
  • more Australian nugget proofs (1988, 1989)
  • more Indian Head $5 - crazy I know, but would quite like the date run from 1908-1916/1926
  • any Q Vic shield sovereigns  (still don't have one!) 
  • 2005 proof sovereign 
  • 2002 proof sovereign 
  • any gold Libertads - 1 oz or 1/2 only 
  • Finally - I have to say  Kruggerands are my favourite bullion coin, so I may look out for these over sovereigns or bullion Britannias/eagles

its either some of the above or more ETFs for the ISA ....gold is more fun! 

Love to hear what others are planning. 

Lindeman 

1 hour ago, Lindeman said:

Finally - I have to say  Kruggerands are my favourite bullion coin, so I may look out for these over sovereigns or bullion Britannias/eagles

Nice to see some love for the Krug Kenny.

For me anything I can get at spot + 3% from HGM or on the forum, although I would probably go for Kangeroo or Eagle as quick as a Krug. Not feeling too much love for the Brit, they always seem to be fannying around with it. 22, then 24 carat, changing diameter/design and now this awful textured background which reminds me of woodchip wallpaper.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

ah Cointreau - tell us what you really think of the RM gold! Just the monkey, or none of the designs do it for you ? 

And I should correct my own mistake - as every pre-1933 gold collector knows, the Indian Head run ended in 1929, not 1926. But that is the most expensive coin above , and most unlikely to be found in 2016. 

Agree on the  Brits BaldyBob - I only have one, and thats enough! 

• Founder & Administrator

I will definitely be buying a 1oz 2016 Kangaroo. Will also try to pick up a 30g gold panda, funds depending. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

2 hours ago, Lindeman said:

ah Cointreau - tell us what you really think of the RM gold! Just the monkey, or none of the designs do it for you ? 

And I should correct my own mistake - as every pre-1933 gold collector knows, the Indian Head run ended in 1929, not 1926. But that is the most expensive coin above , and most unlikely to be found in 2016. 

Agree on the  Brits BaldyBob - I only have one, and thats enough! 

What can I say? The Royal and Canadian mints have been under performing for a while now. They keep churning out cacky coins.

I like the rest of your wish list however.

I

Well for me, more of the same more bullion sovereigns and if i see one at the right price im going to treat myself to a 2006 Saint George the Victorious ¼Oz Russian 50 rubles 

russian gold bullion

russian gold bullion

The only coins I am definitely buying will be the bullion 1 Oz gold RM 2017 lunar series which I reckon will be released around autumn 2016, and the 1 Oz silver proof of the same coin.

The coins I would like to get but will be subject entirely to what spare cash I can muster;

Mexican 50 Peso gold coin - I have nothing bigger than a sovereign that I dare put my hands on, everything at an ounce or above is either proof or .999 fine gold. I hear this coin is very nice in hand!

Hopefully I can also get hold of a couple of the sovereigns with different designs to spice up the sovereign stack. If I can get hold of one of the 2005, 2012 and the 2002 shield that will have to do.

Most of my income is going to have to stay in dreaded cash next year because of a change of plan. It will be tough. Perhaps I will take solace from the recently bought section of the forum to get my fix for all things shiny, but I have the feeling it will have the opposite effect!  

Priority will be the new releases to keep series up to date but they'll be 2017 dated and towards the middle/end of the year.

In the mean time, I'd like to pick up the following:

Canadian 2016 Call of the Wild (should be last in series)

Any Singapore 1oz (really need € over 1.4 before i buy)

Canadian 5 Blessings

Mexican 50 Peso

Brits in year 1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2009.

Any £2 and £5 sovs

Surprisingly enough, sovereigns! Far too many I want/need to think about other coins.

Anything rare in the sovereign line at a good price.

Any George IV or Vic shield I haven't got, anything George III or William that's affordable.

Any Ottawa mint or Sydney mint Victoria (aussie design) I don't already have.

Finally, any sovereign that's a better grade than those I already have.

Probably first choice is to get hold of a G III, the only monarch I don't have (although I have several guineas)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I would like:

50 peso Mexico

50gram 2016 gold panda

A nice double eagle liberty in ms64

More sovereigns and pre33 half and quarter Eagles.

May trade some of my fractionals for a smaller number of larger coins.

I must be the only one on the site that thinks Gold will go up before going down, if this happens I will offload a couple of coins that are worse for wear back to hgm.  

Purchase's for 2016

Maple, Britannia, sovereigns, Krugerrand and anything that I think is value. 

15 minutes ago, Pipers said:

I must be the only one on the site that thinks Gold will go up before going down, if this happens I will offload a couple of coins that are worse for wear back to hgm.  

Purchase's for 2016

Maple, Britannia, sovereigns, Krugerrand and anything that I think is value. 

The possibility of gold still being capable of dropping hundreds concerns me, silver not so much as it has to be near the bottom and even if it's not surely only a couple of pounds max would be as far as it could drop.

8 hours ago, Scuzzle said:

The possibility of gold still being capable of dropping hundreds concerns me, silver not so much as it has to be near the bottom and even if it's not surely only a couple of pounds max would be as far as it could drop.

I wouldn't let that concern you unless you are relying on the price being permanently at a high level, if so I would sell now. I look on it as an insurance policy with all the financial mismanagement going on and would use it as an opportunity to increase the stack with any significant fall in prices. I can see a drop of £150 possibly (which does not concern me over the long run) not sure what the supply side of things would be at this price however. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Really interesting to see the range of targets we have - from keeping modern date runs going (hence the RM Lunars - even though I do see your point Cointreau - the quality is not great!), to value for money stacking targets (Krugs / Brits / Maples), through aficionado sovereign collectors like SovSteve, old gold from US and Mexico (a lot of love for the 50 pesos!), and introducing us to new coins (- at least for me - thanks to KevinG and Barney). 

Thanks for sharing everyone. On the one hand - let's hope the price drops so we can buy, then soars so we can all feel better! 

Made me think about what I have and maybe like Numi it may be time to offload some silver coins and smaller gold to focus on the gold ones I really want. 

8 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Hoping to get some Lunar 2 monkey gold coins (probably the 1/10oz & 1/4oz) and the 2016 sovereign is a must for me, first one with the new queens head!

I bought a couple of 2014 and 2015 sovs and just found them a bit underwhelming, the coppery colour just makes them look like a very expensive penny.

Archived